Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Human existence

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#11 marksmanjay

marksmanjay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 03:49 AM

#12 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

not a valid answer. my question wasn't "what is the answer to life?" my question was "what is the purpose of life?"

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#13 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:07 AM

"what is the purpose of life?"

I am pretty sure it is not to attempt to provoke a heated pseudo-religious argument by asking loaded questions

Edit: in which case the best answer to said question is as stated by marksmanjay, "42"

Edited by phaze, 08 February 2013 - 03:09 AM.

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#14 Brainiac100

Brainiac100

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1134 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:24 AM

To live and let live. That's my opinion.

Question everything and trust what you see as logical.
Is there a riddle stuck in your brain, and you cannot solve it? Be happy! It is a positive proof that you have a brain. <--Rookie1ja

#15 flamebirde

flamebirde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

"what is the purpose of life?"

I am pretty sure it is not to attempt to provoke a heated pseudo-religious argument by asking loaded questions

Edit: in which case the best answer to said question is as stated by marksmanjay, "42"

It's a serious question, not anything to provoke a religious argument. By the way, you realize that 42 isn't the answer? Since we know the question, 42 cannot be the answer or else the world would cease to exist. I don't want an argument, just what you personally and honestly think. I hope no one's going to persecute anybody else for their religion or lack thereof.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#16 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 04:26 AM

"What is the purpose of life?" cuts to the core of strongly held and often disagreed human beliefs. Of what purpose does the question serve if not to walk into an old-time saloon and coax a gun-fight at high noon out of the otherwise mild mannered zealot by poking him with a stick?

We have already had one instant where someone in this thread has used the "G" word and been shut-down in the very next post.  Whilst being only mild it shows the potential volatility of your line of questioning.

#17 flamebirde

flamebirde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1363 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:01 AM

Alright then. Fine. I revoke that question. Go back to the original question then.

#18 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

I don't see why it should...personally I abide by what I term a 'neo-nieztchian' philosophy:  that the point of life is to be the best you can be, to try to attain your own unique potential.  I don't really see how that is insulting or denigrating to anyone, regardless of their religious beliefs.  I mean, I think there a lot of common themes across belief systems, even if the details are hotly debated. 

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#19 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:35 PM

There are two diametrically opposed views that most people fit between in attempting to answer the question for themselves.  I will call one the internal view and one the external view, although some people will have some aspects of each.

The internal view is that the answer to the question is that there is no purpose to life beyond what you personally assign to it. It is often coupled with the notion that you are the master of your own destiny and answerable to no-one.  To hold this view you also need to accept the uncomfortable concept that you are own your own in this world. To these people the question "What is the purpose of life?" is irrelevant, valueless one that has an obvious answer. This would beg the question why did Flamebirde ask such an irrelevant question?

The external view is that the answer to the question is that the purpose to life is solely to follow some ideal or higher power.  It means that you are beholden to that external ideal or higher power. To hold this view you need to accept the uncomfortable concept that you are no longer the master of your own destiny. To these people "What is the purpose of life?" could have a variety of opposed tightly held and intricate belief systems. This would beg the question why did Flamebirde ask such a potentially volatile question for a public forum?

Although the question was "What is the purpose of life?", he might of well asked "What do you believe in?" as that would provide similar answers. 

As you may see I am more concerned about why Flamebirde asked the question. Maybe Flamebirde is struggling with an uncomfortable concept. This means that he may not be ready for a trite answer to the question yet. By asking this in a public forum however he is unintentionally baiting those who see the question as being highly relevant to express views that they hold dear to their heart.  Due to the public but impersonal nature of this forum I don't think you can guarantee that these views would not be quickly shot down. I think that opinions about this question would be better elicited on an IRL, one to one basis with people that Flamebirde trusts.

#20 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3366 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:00 PM

Yeah...I totally disagree with you phaze :P.  For one thing, just b/c everyone has a different, personal view, doesn't make the question irrelevant.  Personally, I think it makes the question more interesting.  I am a fan of reading/watching/writing things in the fantasy genre (and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this ;P), and I always find exploring at different belief/social systems a fascinating experience, even if I personally disagree with those beliefs.

Secondly, I think many ppl find the 'impersonal', semi-anonymous nature of public forums more conducive to sharing things you might not share with ppl one to one in real life.  When you share in real life, it often seems like you're 'risking' more: the person you're talking to might make a judgement about you that will irreversibly change your relationship with them, or, perhaps worse, they might just not be interested in what you have to say.  It's really heart-wrenching to hold something dear and important and have someone you care about simply dismiss it :(.   In a forum format, you can write up a long, well-though out post with all your ideas, and even if no one takes the time to read it, you'll never know.  And, personally, I am one of those ppl who is better at organizing my ideas in writing than in conversation, and the act of writing helps me organize my ideas in itself, which often helps me feel more confident and content in my beliefs.

Lastly, for now at least, I don't think everyone here, especially the younger members *cough*, may be 100% unchangeably set in stone on every detail of their belief systems yet, and I think reading the thoughts of others and sharing their own thoughts might help them develop and refine their beliefs, perhaps even 'look at the world in a new light' so to speak.  Personally I had a major breakthrough in my belief system in like junior high, from reading some things on a Neon Genesis Evangelion forum. (Okay you can laugh, but srsly that show has some major philosophical exploration.)

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users