Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Human existence

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:21 AM

What is your thought on the reason (or path of evolution) that brought mankind to it's current state? Why that?

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#2 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:10 AM

Current state of what? Current physical state of a human being? Current state of religion, of politics (of the the United States or some other country?), of environment (of global warming or the denial of global warming...), of science (of the lack of funding for a space program, of the interest in renewable energy, etc), of societal structures, of war, of popular media, of...you get the picture.

Not that it's not a good question. On the contrary, it's a great question, and considering what evolutionary forces and other events (i.e. random disasters, diseases, movements, etc) caused the things mentioned above, and the things not mentioned above, to be the way they are is all very interesting, but for each thing there is a complex history, and I find the immensity of asking the question in general is incredibly daunting. Did you mean for the question to be open-ended, or was there a specific aspect you were asking about the current state of?
Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#3 flamebirde

flamebirde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

the question is meant to be open ended, to provoke discussion. And it was left vague on purpose. Feel free to interpret it however you like.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#4 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:12 AM

Feel free to interpret it however you like.

However you like?

Alrighty then. Are you familiar with Neil Gaiman? A Dream of a Thousand Cats in The Sandman Volume Three, Dream Country.

A mother cats suffering the loss of her kittens due to her owners because the father wasn't a pure-breed goes on a quest for understanding. She finally meets Dream in cat form and he tells her that once humans were tiny creatures no larger than cats are now. Their role was to serve the cats and when the moon was full to serve as prey. Then there came a human that had an inspiration that it was dreams that shape the world. That dreams recreate the world every night. He told any human he met to not dream the world as it is but to dream of a new world where humans were masters. Finally enough humans dreamed of this new world and the next day it changed. She began telling other cats this and encouraged them to start dreaming things back to the way it was.

And this is why I tend to poke my cat when he is asleep by the computer.

#5 TheChad08

TheChad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:14 PM

The reason for our evolution is the guiding hand of God.
Without him tinkering with genetics our evolution would have never come about.
I don't understand the purpose of this question.

Nah, I'm just messing with you guys... I don't believe in God.

#6 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:54 PM

Not everyone believes in God or your particular version of God whichever version that might be.

Creation stories can be interesting. I'm trying to remember some of the stories told in some of the fantasy books I've read. I'm thinking there was a good one in a book about a puppeteer (shadow puppets?) but I can't remember the title to find the book to reference.

Then again I like stories and stories within stories. I think I've heard or read that the stories we tell each other help define who we are. What does it mean for us when there are so many stories available to us now?

I wonder how things might be different if the story of Adam of Eve was told diffferently.

#7 curr3nt

curr3nt

The

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2839 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 02:58 PM

http://www.gly.uga.e...CS/CSIndex.html for some creation stories from around the world.

#8 flamebirde

flamebirde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 03:54 AM

The reason for our evolution is the guiding hand of God.
Without him tinkering with genetics our evolution would have never come about.
I don't understand the purpose of this question.

there is no purpose to this question. It is merely of idle philosophical thoughts. Why do we want to learn the age of the Earth, or how people lived in Egypt during the reign of the Pharaohs?

#9 TheChad08

TheChad08

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

Not everyone believes in God or your particular version of God whichever version that might be.

Creation stories can be interesting. I'm trying to remember some of the stories told in some of the fantasy books I've read. I'm thinking there was a good one in a book about a puppeteer (shadow puppets?) but I can't remember the title to find the book to reference.

Then again I like stories and stories within stories. I think I've heard or read that the stories we tell each other help define who we are. What does it mean for us when there are so many stories available to us now?

I wonder how things might be different if the story of Adam of Eve was told diffferently.

curr3nt, I highly recommend you watch a movie called "The Fountain"

In fact, I recommend that movie for everyone here. It is actually a really good movie.

#10 flamebirde

flamebirde

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 01:56 AM

New thought: What is the purpose of life? to have fun, produce offspring, or what?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users