Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#11 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:27 AM

I vote "no" because, while I find it a good idea to have them split, I find it less convenient. I like having all of the puzzles right there in front of me. Yes, it's more cluttered that way, BUT I'd just prefer to scroll through the clutter on one page. If I were doing this, I would remove the blue/red folders and use that space to declare what type of puzzle. Put a "M" for math, "L" for logic, etc. While I'm on it, the little section to the right of that where people will put smileys sometimes, I refer back to Itachi's suggestion of allowing poster to let it known whether or not the puzzle has been solved, and use that spot to alert whether or not the puzzle has been solved. That is a bit of a programming chore, no doubt, probably most easily accessed through the user page and embedding the protocol through the "most recent posts."

#12 Nikyma

Nikyma

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:11 AM

I think it would help a lot if threads were locked a month or so after they're solved. That way puzzles from six months ago wouldn't keep getting resurrected. And, maybe having a minimum number of posts required before members can start a topic? That might help with all of the repetition of previously posted puzzles. I don't know if these ideas are even possible, just a thought.

Edited by Nikyma, 18 April 2008 - 05:12 AM.

#13 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:18 AM

I think it would help a lot if threads were locked a month or so after they're solved. That way puzzles from six months ago wouldn't keep getting resurrected. That might help with all of the repetition of previously posted puzzles. I don't know if these ideas are even possible, just a thought.

Not sure I like the idea of locking them unnecessarily. Sometimes there really is room for further comment even after a lot of time goes by. Perhaps if there are no recent comments and it's several months old that would be fine, but I guess I'd be happy to leave that call to the moderators rather than making a specific rule. What would be nice, though, is if there were a way to make it just a bit harder to resurrect old threads. The big red IMPORTANT message is a good step in the right direction, but one further validation step might be helpful (some sort of a confirmation warning page: "If you are simply posting a repeat answer, you will be prosecuted!"). Nothing I can think of would be easy to implement, though.

And, maybe having a minimum number of posts required before members can start a topic?

My gut feeling is that would be a turn-off to new members, but perhaps it would only bother trigger-happy newbies. It's difficult to balance a relaxed and appealing forum-feel with an appropriate level of quality control. I was going to say that I think it's a bad idea, but as I'm typing this, I realize I could go either way on it.

#14 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:41 AM

Not sure I like the idea of locking them unnecessarily. Sometimes there really is room for further comment even after a lot of time goes by. Perhaps if there are no recent comments and it's several months old that would be fine, but I guess I'd be happy to leave that call to the moderators rather than making a specific rule. What would be nice, though, is if there were a way to make it just a bit harder to resurrect old threads. The big red IMPORTANT message is a good step in the right direction, but one further validation step might be helpful (some sort of a confirmation warning page: "If you are simply posting a repeat answer, you will be prosecuted!"). Nothing I can think of would be easy to implement, though.

My gut feeling is that would be a turn-off to new members, but perhaps it would only bother trigger-happy newbies. It's difficult to balance a relaxed and appealing forum-feel with an appropriate level of quality control. I was going to say that I think it's a bad idea, but as I'm typing this, I realize I could go either way on it.

The forum is fun and intriguing at the same time, and yes there are a few trigger happy people. Locking a thread is a death sentence on a topic and i don't want to see a repeated answer to a topic, unless there is no answer then it's like a vote for that answer by confirming. I also like the idea that someone a year later has an original answer/spin and we all can do with a little levity. Make it to serious and it becomes a Mensa forum.

DP you noted an old closed thread that had no further response to it, if left open it can be ignored, if closed it's like a taboo.
I hope to see only quality posts funny, intelligent or even smart.
Quality over quantity = take away the No. of posts view and promotion, and allow unlimited edit to own topic after month one.
Increase the size of personal photo (pixel size is going UP)

#15 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 08:32 PM

I think it is a good and necessary enhancement. Here is a little twist on the idea:
The categories need not be mutually exclusive. So here are some categories to start with:

ALL NEW PUZZLES (same the present New Puzzles forum)
UNSOLVED PUZZLES
MYSTERIES
WORD PUZZLES
MATH PUZZLES (algebra, geometry, calculus, computer programming)
LOGIC PUZZLES
GAMES/BOARD

Naturally, the UNSOLVED category, as well as other categories may require some consensus. I suggest using the board of Moderators and VIPs for that. Since the same category of all new puzzles, would remain, I don't see why this suggestion would draw any objections from members.

The real issue is the programming effort. I'm guessing that would involve:

1. Change to Puzzle Database to add a puzzle type field. (Or reuse some of the available fields.)
2. Add code to display new categories, including new quireies to extract puzzles based on puzzle type.
3. Add code to implement mechanism for assigning a type to a puzzle.

The last change is not entirely clear. I don't think simply posting new puzzle to a different forum, as it is done presently, is a viable solution. (You can never rely on individual posters' voluntary compliance.) So I would add a new field "puzzle type" to fill out with each new post along with the title and description.
Then there would be a need to run one time conversion, adding new field to all existing puzzles.

It is quite a bit of programming effort there. So a related suggestion to Rookie: find some way for programmer forum members to lend help.

Past prime, actually.

#16 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:23 PM

I think it is a good and necessary enhancement. Here is a little twist on the idea:
The categories need not be mutually exclusive. So here are some categories to start with:

ALL NEW PUZZLES (same the present New Puzzles forum)
UNSOLVED PUZZLES
MYSTERIES
WORD PUZZLES
MATH PUZZLES (algebra, geometry, calculus, computer programming)
LOGIC PUZZLES
GAMES/BOARD

Naturally, the UNSOLVED category, as well as other categories may require some consensus. I suggest using the board of Moderators and VIPs for that. Since the same category of all new puzzles, would remain, I don't see why this suggestion would draw any objections from members.

I would like to see an UNSOLVED catagory as well.

#17 NM_EJL

NM_EJL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:30 PM

I agree with having "solved" and "unsolved" catagories.

#18 taliesin

taliesin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1544 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 09:39 PM

I agree with having "solved" and "unsolved" catagories.

I agree with this however, would poeple still visit the unsolved puzzles? I would think twice about it, and in doing this would reduce the number overall posts.

I also suggest to add a games section, for Paper Sissors Rock, Mafia, etc..

I will be able to add a "Solved" button to the forum if you want where the OP can mark a answer as solving the puzzle, asuming you are allowed to change the program with you license of the software!

Edited by taliesin, 04 September 2008 - 09:41 PM.

#19 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 08:02 AM

I am completely for this.
Actually, the huge flooding of the "New Puzzles" section is half the reason I pretty much NEVER go there anymore.
Also, many of the puzzles aren't the kind that fit my tastes, deeper organization will totally help me find the kind I want
The other half is my someone recent love for debate and discussion, which fits more into the "others" sections. Which is where %99 of my posting takes place.
And if Unreality is moderating it, that makes it all the better :D
So yeah, if this happens, then you can expect to see me in a section other than "others" :D

#20 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 06:26 PM

I also wouldn't say no to a "games" section, under miscellaneous.
As I'm sure everyone knows, ever since Mafia, there seems to be a huge popularity of games on the Forums.
So.. Yeah, once again, I could see how this would be EVEN MORE work (which no one wants)
But I'm sure you could find someone to moderate it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users