Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:39 AM

(vote after you've read my entire post :P)

I've noticed lately there are (in the "New Puzzles" forum) FOUR HUNDRED THOUSAND new posts EVERY NANOSECOND! Okay, maybe not that much, but once I made a puzzle topic, went away for like ten minutes, came back, and it was already shunted to the second page and swamped by tons of other topics. Not sure if they're all new or just resurrected older topics, but the posting is tremendous in the New Puzzles forum.

To me, it seems kinda silly to have the main, most-used, swamped "New Puzzles" forum all crammed into one forum. There are so many new members now with so many topics and things that it's starting to get overwhelming. I hardly check "New Puzzles" anymore, only occasionally, and then only read a couple topics, because of the sheer amounts.

So I'm suggesting splitting up "New Puzzles" into a couple of basic puzzle categories... math, logic, lateral, word and then another one called 'riddle' for poem-riddle-things as well as riddles where the actual category of the riddle is to remain hidden (ie, a lateral puzzle made to look like a math puzzle, etc, though you could put this in math section to make it extra-tricky)

actually, my revised idea... split "New Puzzles" into:

New Math Puzzles
New Logic Puzzles
New Lateral Puzzles
New Word Puzzles
New Riddles and Puzzles

where "New Riddles and Puzzles" is just "New Puzzles" renamed

now before you freak out, there would be NO ATTEMPT MADE to organize all currently existing topics into these categories. That would be a titanic job. It would take days without sleep. Therefore I'm suggesting that we leave all current riddles in "Riddles and Puzzles" but then FROM NOW ON people will post their riddle under the category of their choosing- it doesn't necessarily have to fit, ie, you could post a word puzzle under "Math" and a moderator won't move it. Some riddles would require the maker to put it in a different category. Anyway, what I'm saying is: it wouldnt be enforced, but recommended and people would do it anyway, with the forums there. That way all the "New Puzzles" aren't hyper-concentrated into one forum, they have some space to breath, and an added bonus is that people that like certain types of riddles, like me, can go to a specific forum of their liking and not have to sift through other riddles. For example, if I want a good math-related riddle, I can check out "New Math Puzzles"

sound good? Vote and let me know what you think! :D

#2 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 12:20 PM

that's a lot of changes ... you have to count on the fact that new members will not know what type of puzzle they are submitting and where to submit it ... even now some of them post puzzles in section dedicated to my puzzles and not to the user submitted section ... imagine going through 900 already submitted puzzles in new puzzles section and moving them to the new categories ... aaaah, now I noticed that you see the titanic job it would be

overall opinion: sounds great, if you would moderate it ;) ... would you?

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#3 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 02:51 PM

that's a lot of changes ... you have to count on the fact that new members will not know what type of puzzle they are submitting and where to submit it ... even now some of them post puzzles in section dedicated to my puzzles and not to the user submitted section

yeah though most people put em in New Puzzles, and when/if you split New Puzzles into categories people will see that 'these' are for puzzles posted by members and 'those' are for puzzles posted by the admin :D

If you really want to be picky and stop people from posting in the Admin-Posted Puzzle forums, I'd just lock those forums from members making new topics, but make it so it's possible to REPLY to existing topics. You can do that on phpbb88 so I'm sure you can do it here :D

... imagine going through 900 already submitted puzzles in new puzzles section and moving them to the new categories ... aaaah, now I noticed that you see the titanic job it would be

yeah see the part in my OP where I said "before you freak out", lol :P

overall opinion: sounds great, if you would moderate it wink.gif ... would you?

uh, sure ;D

i have lots of admin/mod experience, see the link to The Revival in my sig, and The Revival is our fourth forum. Oh and I moderate at a site called RPCentral :D

but sure, I'd be up to the job :P

#4 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 04:51 PM

only 3 votes, I think we should wait for more

#5 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 06:25 PM

I voted No but I want to clarify. I really don't have a strong opinion on this at all. I can understand that the increased workload this would cause would be undesirable, and it doesn't bother me to have everything in one forum, since I usually use the View New Posts link anyway. On the other hand, if the mods are up to it, I certainly don't think it's a bad idea.

Wait! You'd let unreality mod? Ok, that's all the reason I needed to vote NO. :P

#6 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 12:06 AM

well if i am allowed input/suggestion even, I would say yes something is needed to encourage new users to keep visiting without making it complicated.
I am sure some people just want to find puzzles that suit them, though they miss the chance to stumble on something new, which may be easy or fun.

Not necessary for me to go either way on this - would like to ensure visitors/newbies find it worth comming back.

When is a new puzzle old?
When is an old puzzle exhausted?

I think the word New needs to go.
I tink clear labeling will help.
I think answers should be withheld for as long as possible.
I think it's time for bed!

#7 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 02:00 AM

So are we gonna do this? or not? :D

#8 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:08 PM

no split yet ... I am quite busy these days ... I will keep you posted

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#9 PolishNorbi

PolishNorbi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 11:26 PM

no split yet ... I am quite busy these days ... I will keep you posted

I would suggest just maybe two/three categories..

Word
Math/Logic

These are two completely different styles and I stink at word ones, but excel at math. I am sure there are other people who stink at math excel at word. I might be more siding with this because of the shear volume of word puzzles that have popped up lately, ie 90% who am Is?

#10 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 11:20 PM

exactly ;D I'm just like you, Norbi. I love the logic and the math, and I like word puzzles too, but not as much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users