Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Chromatic Witch, Ep 2: The Power of Green

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#81 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:16 AM

As the other agents carefully examined the three locks on the ivy 'chains', Orin lowered his eyes, away from the dancing leprechaun, thinking. The inexplicable leprechaun's hints had seemed to be on the mark so far, but the creature seemed to mean some his lines literally, particularly the last...
Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#82 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 12:21 AM

Yes, the agents determined, the three locks were indeed distinctive and would require the three separate keys.

Meanwhile, Orin ran over the woman's lines in his mind once more. The second stanza stirred something of recollection in him...there was a similar phrase he'd heard before, he believed, something that seemed appropriate to this entire venture...there's no...in..

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

#83 DudleyDude

DudleyDude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1825 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:38 AM

I'm still not totally clear on the encoding, but I am starting to thing the last 3 verses are broken into the first couplet referring to a letter and the last couplet referring to a specific "green" (arrow, goblin, hornet). The last clue (there's no...in..) reminds me of "there's no I in team'. I think the first two lines of the goblin verse (You won't find it in yourselves, but to express individuality it delves) similarly refer to the letter I (not found in the word 'yourselves', the letter used as a pronoun refers directly to individuality). I is the 9th letter and 59049 is 9^5. Similarly, I think the wordplay in the final verse's couplet could refer to W (twice intoned) and W is the 23rd letter and 6436343 is 23^5. I can't explain how "goblin" and "hornet" translate to 5, but I think I'd like to try those 2 keys on the 2nd and 3rd locks to see if they fit. If so, we could focus on the final couplet and see if we can make it fit for either of 'L', 'R', 'N' or 'E'

#84 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

I think I got it! The first one is 6436343 (23^5), because W is the 23rd letter, and it is in the fifth place of ARROW. The second one is 59049 (9^5) because I, the 9th letter, is in the 5th place of GOBLIN. The third one is 38416 (14^4) because N, the 14th letter, is in the fourth place of HORNET.

#85 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:16 AM

Sorry, I've been fighting a (mostly losing) battle with a virus, and going though some strange things...and struggling with what I think are called *cough* emotions...(yes, I know, the Imperturbable Society of Machiavellian Princes is going to have to revoke my membership), so there's going to be a delay :(. I'll try to get the next segment up sometime when my head stops trying to explode.

For those who haven't gotten the wordplay yet, it's pretty literal ;).

Thanks for your patience.

#86 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 04:24 AM

...To the letter...Orin’s mind reached, and he felt something click into place. “...Come this way...not be on this day...”

The other agents were on a similar line, it appeared. Confidently they approached the selected plants. As her “babies” yielded the sought-after keys to the agents’ eager palms, an expression of pain shot across her face and she doubled over.

Captain Wraith grinned at the woman as the locks were undone. “Looks like we w-i-n,” he quipped, and Orin stepped towards the gate.

“Nooo!” the woman cried, clutching her midsection. Using her last bit of strength, she threw out her arm and summoned the power of nature.

Vines flew up and wrapped themselves around Orin’s legs and torso. He grunted and jerked against them, but they held him firmly in place.

Letting out a high-pitched laugh, the woman crumpled to her knees, breathing heavily. “You...won’t...get past...I...won’t...let you...

Suddenly Orin sensed a green glow and turned. The young man they had met before was coming towards them, surrounded by a green aura.

It’s all right, Ivy,” said the young man in a halcyon tone.

With concentrated effort, the woman crawled towards him. She clung to his leg and stared up at him with hungry eyes. “Master...

He placed a gentle hand atop her head and nodded. “You did well. You may rest now”. He stroked her red hair slowly, and as he did so, her image wavered and then seemed to disintegrate into a million green particles, which scattered outward for a decisecond before being drawn back and assimilated into the young man’s green glow.

The vines around Orin unanimated and fell limply to the ground. He took a step towards the green aura-ed young man. “We defeated your minions, now it’s your turn.”

The young man smiled. His own form wavered and then stretched horizontally into a green mass, from which six head shapes emerged. The six heads moved away from each other, and the forms of six identical young men proceeded to surround the group.

“Which one is the real one?” an agent asked, his glance vacillating furtively between the six figures.

Orin frowned. They appeared identical in every way he could tell...they had the same height, build, hair cut, features, skin tone, clothing, accessories...wait...

“Umi,” he said to the control center. “Their bracelets, there appears to be an inscription. Can you magnify the image you’re receiving from us and read them?”

There was only the slightest delay before the images were transmitted to him and the rest of the agents. The inscriptions read:

(Pirate’s execution unchanging) (Not old, borrowed or blue)

(Nuts’ companion + not the fairer half unchanging) (Earl grey or chamomile)

(Spanish ‘the’) (up to date, made fair) over (Latin ‘you’)

(Line) over (moderate + task)

(Sunday service) (severity) (sneeze - second person pronoun)

(Sixth state) (French ‘life’, made fair) over (not from)

“Good thinking,” the captain smiled at him, then stroked his stubbly chin. “Based on what we’ve seen so far, the doubles are probably booby-trapped in some way and I’m going to guess that guessing is not a good option. So...which of these things is not like the others...”

#87 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 04:44 AM

maybe the italicized segments mean something more than the others? Also in the first line, The second part, I think that it has something to do with "new"- the only part of the old saying not allowed.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#88 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:14 AM

Maybe the italicized parts are letters? I see nu (new), T (tea), V (vie), and L (el).

#89 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:23 AM

I see 2 pluses, 2 () right next to each other, and 2 overs. Is it something to do with 2?

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#90 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

I have not been following along with this thread, but I saw Y-san's code here and thought I would give it an analysis

Spoiler for Analysis

Just some thoughts

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users