Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Chromatic Witch, Ep 2: The Power of Green

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#61 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 03:06 PM

Here we go then:
Spoiler for This is it!...

Edited by fabpig, 10 August 2012 - 03:09 PM.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#62 DudleyDude

DudleyDude

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1823 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 06:18 PM

Thanks Fab. I ran into so many deadends with the original numbers and didn't really want to start over with the revised ones.

DD

#63 dauber

dauber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 11:47 PM

Here we go then:

Spoiler for This is it!...

Just got home and re-ran my app with the new board. There are actually two similar solutions:
Spoiler for solution

#64 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3285 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:14 AM

Yes, there are probably multiple possible solution, any one that works works :).

Sorry, I'd had a super busy day...I'll try to get the next segment up before I go to sleep.

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#65 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3285 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Having made it cleverly past the extremely tricky ravine, the agents marched through another grove of trees into another clearing. In the center grew a garden of various flora and in the back stood an immense iron fence whose bars were greedily ensconced by ivy. Three particularly thick lengths of ivy were wrapped around what appeared to be the gate, and upon each rested a portion with a hole in it that resembled the shape of a lock.

They were greeted by a melodious, sultry voice, belonging to a petite woman with fiery red hair and pale skin in a green leotard. Her red lips curved up into a seductive smile as she spoke: “Looks like tweedle dumb and tweedle dumber failed...not surprising.” She sniffed. “I don’t know why the master keeps them around...why would he need them when he has me!”

She nodded towards the garden, and the agents now noticed six plants in particular that stood out from the rest. Orin recalled seeing pictures of these somewhere...what were they called...it had to do with some planet or another...Mars? No...Venus? Yes...yes, these were called Venus Fly Traps. And in front of each the vines seemed to form a number.

The six numbers were: 6436343, 248832, 104976, 59049, 38416, 15625

The woman’s voice became more sing-songy as she continued. “Among these babies hides the keys, but which ones will be hard to see. Be wary as, if you should choose wrong, the remainder of your life will not be long. Do not think to use might, the sweet nectar of death is in their bite.”

“I’m guessing that means we’ll be poisoned if we pick the wrong ones...and I’m guessing there is no antidote,” Wraith commented dryly.

The woman smiled in acknowledgement.

"If you’re seeking for its base,
Simply count the normal case,
Get in position to capture his Queen,
And take it to the power of green!

You’ll see it come this way,
But it not be on this day,
It will show you where to go,
His ducks needn’t be in a row.

You won’t find it in yourselves,
But to express individuality it delves,
In tales o’ faeries to scare kids,
As the hero’s best friend he hid.

In your skill once honed,
You’ll get it twice intoned,
Its nest you shouldn’t poke,
And he’s a funny bloke."

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#66 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:26 PM

Ignoring the numbers for the time being.

"If you’re seeking for its base,
Simply count the normal case,
Get in position to capture his Queen,
And take it to the power of green!

You’ll see it come this way,
But it not be on this day,
It will show you where to go,
His ducks needn’t be in a row.

You won’t find it in yourselves,
But to express individuality it delves,
In tales o’ faeries to scare kids,
As the hero’s best friend he hid.

In your skill once honed,
You’ll get it twice intoned,
Its nest you shouldn’t poke,
And he’s a funny bloke."

From the bolded sentence, I'm getting a definite theme of chess. Not sure about the second or third paragraph, unless it's the reference to "skill" and a definite "he", which could refer to the King.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#67 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Possibly 3rd stanza is Green Goblin - father of Spidey's best friend.
and the 3rd line of the 4th stanza would seem to point to Green Hornet, though the other references elude me. (Has "bloke" made it into everyday Amerglish? Or is it indicating a British male. Or is it, in this case, poetic licence?)
3rd line of stanza 2 might point (!) to Green Arrow. Again the rest is a bit of a mystery to me.

I wondered if the Queen reference might have something to do with the chessboard nature of the previous puzzle. But, generally, once a puzzle has been done, it doesn't seem to be referenced again.

Deit....syntax and spelling

Edited by fabpig, 11 August 2012 - 06:57 PM.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#68 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 07:35 PM

I'm thinking stanza 2, line 3 might refer to the Green Lantern, going with the superhero theme. I'm guessing that since there are only 3 keys and the first stanza seems more mathematical, it gives us a clue to encrypt the words of the other three stanzas to make three of the numbers on the Venus fly traps.
Bloke's a reasonably common word in American English, so I think it's just there for rhyming purposes.

#69 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

I'm liking Green Goblin. Goblins were in fairy tales, and horror tales, and Spidey must have considered him a friend.
Fourth looks like Green Hornet.

Not sure about others.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#70 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

I thought the word "power" denoted superheroes, but then I noticed this: 6436343=23^5, 248832=12^5, 104976=18^4, 59049=9^5 or 3^10, 38416=14^4, and 15625=25^3 or 5^6.
Sorry, I just looked up Green Arrow, and it's a much better answer than Green Lantern.
I think the key to this is to find the "normal case" for each superhero, whatever that means.

Edited by vistaptb, 11 August 2012 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users