Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Chromatic Witch, Ep 2: The Power of Green

• Please log in to reply
163 replies to this topic

#51 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:59 AM

Yeah, you're right. I guess I missed that. It's nice to see a puzzle where we can understand the rules, though.

I like making puzzles where part of the puzzle is figuring out the rules. I consider them 'thinking outside the box' puzzles or creative-thinking puzzles. It's my style, if it's not your cup of tea, feel free to look elsewhere *shrugs*.

Bah, should be asleep...instead of volunteering to pick ppl up at the airport at ridiculous hours :wacko: .
Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#52 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:35 PM

Quick question: Do we jump over squares? i.e. If we land on 4 and then move to a spot 4 spaces away, do all the spots in between get used, too?

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#53 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:01 PM

Quick question: Do we jump over squares? i.e. If we land on 4 and then move to a spot 4 spaces away, do all the spots in between get used, too?

No, you must visit each square exactly once.

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

#54 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 12:05 AM

Well I thought I'd let people play with it for awhile...also buying myself some time to work on the novel I'm writing, which has started threatening to sue me for neglect *whistling*...anyways, here's the order of the first column, counting START as 0 and END as 65.

Spoiler for Hint

#55 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

But I do think that this is a good approach although I'm sort of hoping one of the programmers will just write an exhaustive search to find the right path...

I started to write a program, then realised there were 11139276598425944064000000000 possible combinations and my poor little Dell started smoking at the thought of it. Need to work out what Agatha Y-san means.

Did we ever work out what the 1|2|3|4 multipliers in the H & K puzzles were for?

Edited by fabpig, 06 August 2012 - 06:21 PM.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#56 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 06:36 PM

Follow on from vista's work (spoilered to save space) and converted to 1-64 notation

Spoiler for List of squares access

Spoiler for Squares can reach

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#57 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:59 PM

Adding Y-san's hint, here is a list of the forced moves we have so far.
Spoiler for

#58 vistaptb

vistaptb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 02:07 AM

Spoiler for Got some more

Edited by vistaptb, 08 August 2012 - 02:07 AM.

#59 dauber

dauber

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:42 AM

Here is where I am:

I did write a program last weekend to try to find the correct path (I have played around with the Knight's Tour, so I had a base to work from). I let it run for about 30 hours before I stopped it. I was afraid there was still a bug in my algorithm, and the running application maxed out my computers' processors. I did some more testing and started it again. I stopped the second run after about 20 hours, and put it aside until last night. I incorporated Y-san's constraints/hints, and now the algorithm runs to completion in a matter of minutes. But still no solution that hits all 64 squares. I have come close - I found 3 solutions that hit 60 of the squares before landing on the exit platform, but not all the squares. More then willing to post the solutions or the program if anyone is interested.

#60 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

DOH :duh: Sorry, I suck :(. I went and checked and found two errors. I thought I had double checked my numbers...but I should of triple checked. I feel terrible :blush:. Here is what should be the correct numbers, you can try them in your program:

Posted Image

*goes and hides behind a wall from the barrage of rotten food...or stones...not sure which is worse*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users