Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Human origin" according to my own theory"

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#71 Kikacat123

Kikacat123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:42 PM

Just wondering- is there anyone here who is not a Christian, Atheist, or Deist?
"Silflay hraka, u embleer Rah!" - Thlayli, Watership Down

#72 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 04:12 AM

The real god would have to make himself known to man. When all options to communicate with man (via nature and direct inspiration of the prophets) fail what better way to make yourself known than to become that which you had created? How better to claim divinity than to claim that you can forgive man for their offenses against God (Luke 5:20-24). How better psychically demonstrate the veracity of that claim to a doubting audience than to rise from death? And yet as predicted in a story Jesus told many still do not believe (Luke 16:29-31)

Well, unfortunately I haven't seen it. As I recall, Jesus also said "Though ye not believe me, believe thy works". I would believe the works, if such existed that are unexplainable by any science and are tangible.

what makes you believe that God is real and not, say, Zeus or Allah or whomever?

Personally, the original reason I believed in God is that an adult told me he existed when I was little and, being little, I took their word. But over time, I've listened to people talk about their experiences with God and seen it with others. I think I've seen Him get me through a lot of stuff the past few years that I don't think I'd have been able to make it through alone. You could say that I got through them because I worked hard, or just because believing in a higher power has some effect psychologically, or that there were coincidences involved, but when I put it all together, those reasons just don't work for me. But if I had to give just one reason that I believe God is real, it would be that He told me so. Audibly.

Congrats to you. Sadly, no such revelation has occurred to me.

Just wondering- is there anyone here who is not a Christian, Atheist, or Deist?

I'm technically agnostic, but I lean toward there not being a God. I used to believe in God, but then I started asking others what their reason was to believe in God. They didn't have a good reason, then I realized I didn't have a good reason, and stuff happened from there.

Edited by flamebirde, 05 September 2013 - 04:13 AM.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#73 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:23 AM

Sadly, no such revelation has occurred to me.

I don't expect you to believe in God just because I do. That's just the reason I believe in God instead of Allah, Zeus, etc. Something to think about though: you were talking about things being explained by science. Maybe you can explain everything by science. But what makes science work together the way it does? There are all these scientific laws/rules/etc. But they all work together just right so that we exist. Let's say you believe the Big Bang Theory (not saying I don't). There's a giant explosion that creates the universe and everything ends up where it is now. Earth isn't too close to the sun that we burn up or so far that we freeze. The atmosphere is just what we need to breathe. Gravity hasn't crushed us. If you believe in evolution, the first organism/cell/whatever found just the right environment it needed to survive. Then you've got all the "random" mutations it takes to get to us. So you could say that we're having this discussion because all these "random" events and mutations happened by chance. But that is a h*** of a lot of random events/mutations that worked out exactly the way they needed to lead to us. That doesn't prove that God exists. However, I find it difficult to believe that there isn't something out there driving all of that. Maybe you still believe there's no god/creator/being behind our existence. Your choice. I won't try to force God/my beliefs down your throat.

Come check out Mafia in the Games Forum
Trainer's Manual Mafia XII: Bugs Mafia is in signups
Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

#74 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:34 PM

Sadly, no such revelation has occurred to me.

I don't expect you to believe in God just because I do. That's just the reason I believe in God instead of Allah, Zeus, etc. Something to think about though: you were talking about things being explained by science. Maybe you can explain everything by science. But what makes science work together the way it does? There are all these scientific laws/rules/etc. But they all work together just right so that we exist. Let's say you believe the Big Bang Theory (not saying I don't). There's a giant explosion that creates the universe and everything ends up where it is now. Earth isn't too close to the sun that we burn up or so far that we freeze. The atmosphere is just what we need to breathe. Gravity hasn't crushed us. If you believe in evolution, the first organism/cell/whatever found just the right environment it needed to survive. Then you've got all the "random" mutations it takes to get to us. So you could say that we're having this discussion because all these "random" events and mutations happened by chance. But that is a h*** of a lot of random events/mutations that worked out exactly the way they needed to lead to us. That doesn't prove that God exists. However, I find it difficult to believe that there isn't something out there driving all of that. Maybe you still believe there's no god/creator/being behind our existence. Your choice. I won't try to force God/my beliefs down your throat.

Obliged. This is the way most religious people should see things.

Evolutionists will argue that since the universe is theoretically infinite, an infinite number of circumstances may happen at any given place. This is entirely possible, but I think there is too much out there, unexplained, for there not to be a driving hand. Now, how beneficial and human-loving this hand is, is where most of religion lies. Trust me, if there was something - an instance of God speaking to me - I would love to throw myself wholeheartedly into religion. Unfortunately, no such event has occurred to me; and I also question everything. Faith is not my strong point, but I respect you and Kika for having it. FB, what you have is cool, too, but don't try to argue with a religious person. They have their own beliefs, you have your own. Neither is provable or disprovable, it's simply a matter of our own individuality giving us either the ability to be strong enough to have faith, or the ability to be strong enough to QUESTION faith.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#75 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:06 AM

Well, unfortunately I haven't seen it. As I recall, Jesus also said "Though ye not believe me, believe thy works". I would believe the works, if such existed that are unexplainable by any science and are tangible. 

Just so others may understand this quote I have added it from a more modern translation

John 10:38

New International Version
But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.

I understand this to mean that Jesus regularly demonstrated who he was by regularly doing miracles. The ultimate one of these was rising from death.

Still even after physically seeing these many still did not believe.  Even with all the evidence there still needs to be a commitment of faith.

If you want something that is tangible and yet unexplainable by science consider the miracle of your own awareness.

You might dismiss this as being explained by a chemical reaction that is tricking you into believing you are aware but what is being tricked and what is doing the believing if you are in fact unaware?

You might protest that your awareness in intangible however I contest that it is the only thing that determines if something is tangible or not.

That table you are in front of is only tangible because you are aware of it.

The evidence of there being something more than science explains has been all around you the whole time.

This means that scientific explanations are only what "might" have happened because as demonstrated they do not have all the answers about life.

The ultimate evidence of there being a God is contained in  what you believe about Jesus' resurrection.

The greater the evidence you require the greater the faith required because the more you learn the less you know you know.

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#76 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:28 AM

Obliged. This is the way most religious people should see things.
Evolutionists will argue that since the universe is theoretically infinite, an infinite number of circumstances may happen at any given place. This is entirely possible, but I think there is too much out there, unexplained, for there not to be a driving hand. Now, how beneficial and human-loving this hand is, is where most of religion lies. Trust me, if there was something - an instance of God speaking to me - I would love to throw myself wholeheartedly into religion. Unfortunately, no such event has occurred to me; and I also question everything. Faith is not my strong point, but I respect you and Kika for having it. FB, what you have is cool, too, but don't try to argue with a religious person. They have their own beliefs, you have your own. Neither is provable or disprovable, it's simply a matter of our own individuality giving us either the ability to be strong enough to have faith, or the ability to be strong enough to QUESTION faith.

One of my teachers has suggested that faith/being religious is genetic. Not faith in a specific religion but in general. I don't know that much about genetics so I have no clue whether that's true or not.

I wouldn't say questioning what you believe is a bad thing. Sometimes, what you find in the end just makes your faith stronger. Having faith doesn't mean you don't question it and never have/will. You may not come to the same conclusion that I did but at least you're thinking. If you never questioned or thought about your beliefs at some point, I'd be a little concerned. . .

Edited by Thalia, 06 September 2013 - 12:31 AM.

Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

#77 kestrelknight

kestrelknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 10:22 AM

Mais, bien sur, how can you have true convictions if they are simply what you've believed since you were a child? Or something that someone else has forced upon you? I sort of went on some "religious adventuring" not so long ago. I was pretty much just questioning what I'd been brought up with. I didn't go into Buddhism or Islam or any of that stuff. Probably the one other belief system that I thought could have been right was a variation of Pantheism.

Unfortunately, Science told me that this could not be so, and I was left with the Christian God. My faith is still shaky, and I don't really have as strong a personal relationship with Christ as I'd like to have, but I've found something I can genuinely believe in.

I may randomly speak in French. Just warning you. Call it practice.

#78 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1702 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

My christian friends: Do you believe that sentient alien life exists? If you do, do you believe they have souls? If you do, do you believe Christ died for their sins or is he only a human sacrifice?

#79 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:58 PM

Kestrel, any relationship takes time. No one goes from meeting their boyfriend/girlfriend to having a strong relationship over night. As for the French, thank God for Google translate. :lol:

BMAD, I tend to lean towards believing there is no sentient alien life. Wouldn't say that I'm completely sure of that.

Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

#80 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 11:33 PM

My christian friends: Do you believe that sentient alien life exists? If you do, do you believe they have souls? If you do, do you believe Christ died for their sins or is he only a human sacrifice?

I too would lean towards the possible non existence of sentient alien life.  As it is hard to differentiate between the notions of sentience and possessing a soul I have ignored your second question.

However I'd like to point out that if we believe sin was introduced into this universe by humans (via Adam) then surely it has been fully dealt with by a human sacrifice (Romans 5:17-18)

What this mean is if there is alien life that mankinds sin has affected then Christ died for them.  If however they have fallen into sin of their own accord (a distinct possibility) then it depends entirely on if there has been already an arrangement made between them and the Almighty.  It may be difficult for us to recognise this arrangement. If they have fallen into their own sin and no arrangement has been made the record of how God has dealt with mankind would be instructive. It could be that God has purposed them to cross our paths so that we may explain Gods grace. What this means is that the message of Christs death and resurrection would  be relevant to any aliens understanding of the nature of the designer and creator of the universe.

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users