Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Human origin" according to my own theory"

• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#61 Kikacat123

Kikacat123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

Do you think there is a supernatural being that just created everything by accident?
"Silflay hraka, u embleer Rah!" - Thlayli, Watership Down

#62 kestrelknight

kestrelknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

*sigh* Good to be back to the philosophical section of BrainDen. Anyway, I know you've moved on from this topic, but I just want to give some evidence for Creationism.

1) The Universe is winding down. Entropy is increasing. The total amount of energy in the Universe can't change. But, at one point, the total energy in the Universe and the useful energy (that available for work) were equal (the earliest possible date). The Universe had some sort of a beginning. (I hope that made sense...)

2) Huge amounts of energy can't come from nowhere. The Universe needed a 'prime mover', as Aristotle put it.

Granted, Creationism doesn't require the God that Kikacat123 and I believe in, but it's definitely a step in the right direction.

I could summarize a book, and prove the Christian God, but... that would take a long time, and probably wouldn't make a whole lot of sense. I suggest that you try to get hold of a book called "Me, The Professor, Fuzzy & The Meaning of Life" by David Pensgard. It does sound and appear a little childish, but trust me - it isn't. It looks at many possible origins of the Universe, and logically concludes which one is the truth.

1) Agreed.

2) Sure, it needed a prime mover, but why does that prime mover have to be omnipotent, omniscient, all-loving and conscious?

I said I couldn't prove the Christian God...  :mellow:

#63 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 12:04 AM

You people are trying to make sense of something that can make no sense.

KK and...KK(?), what you say is pretty valid. The Creator is out there, as far as humans know, this "thing". We don't and will never know what it is. I don't believe in the "Holy Father", but if that is your interpretation, go ahead.

fb, I also understand your point, but going under the assumption that there was something that instigated the infinite universe, we random carbon-based combinations of electronic signals on a tiny planet next to a medium-sized star in one of billions of galaxies (let me catch my breath) are not going to be able to get it, regardless of how advanced we seem. Let it be known, fb, that I single you out only because you seem to be going on the offensive. 

So, my perspective is:

We're not gonna get it. Why worry about it?

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#64 Kikacat123

Kikacat123

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:18 AM

If (and since) the Christian God is real, than we will know it. When we die, we will each stand before His throne and be fully aware that He is the one and only God. Having to admit to God that we never knew Him in our earthly life would definitely be something to worry about.
"Silflay hraka, u embleer Rah!" - Thlayli, Watership Down

#65 BMAD

BMAD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1696 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

A famous discussion between two mathematicians on the existence of god, i believe Euler (i could be wrong) was the recipient of such an argument:

other mathematician:  what do you say is the probability that god exists?

Euler: I believe 1/1,000,000,000,000,000

other mathematician: well what is the potential benefit from believing in god if you die?

Euler: well if you are right, then i will receive eternal bliss.

Other mathematician: well, if we simply calculate the expected outcome, we have 1/1,000,000,000,000,000 times infinity which means you would have an outcome benefit of infinity. while if God doesn't exist, and one doesn't believe anyways, then there is no lost.

Edited by BMAD, 01 September 2013 - 03:12 PM.

#66 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 05:18 PM

If (and since) the Christian God is real, than we will know it. When we die, we will each stand before His throne and be fully aware that He is the one and only God. Having to admit to God that we never knew Him in our earthly life would definitely be something to worry about.

I don't see it as the Christian God, nor as the Muslim Allah, nor the Jewish Yahweh, nor as any of other religion's gods. I argue that all interpretations are correct, at least in human terms, and if you believe in the Christian God that's your thing. I don't deny "His" existence, but merely that there are many interpretations of the Creator and I choose not to subscribe to any of them. 

If one needs to believe in a specific God to access heaven, the God can't be all that loving. If your argument is that non-believers of God have no moral guidance and are thus unworthy, then that's a mistake. I have a moral compass set by myself and my environment. Christians and all other religions have their own morals as well as the morals they have learned from their religion. As long as one behaves in life a good person, why should their beliefs in an intangible overseer bar them from bliss? Everyone has their own way of thinking, like Christians. I'm fine with that; but religion is like the male genitalia. It's great to have it and it's great to be proud of it, but please don't shove it down my throat.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#67 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1372 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

A famous discussion between two mathematicians on the existence of god, i believe Euler (i could be wrong) was the recipient of such an argument:

other mathematician:  what do you say is the probability that god exists?

Euler: I believe 1/1,000,000,000,000,000

other mathematician: well what is the potential benefit from believing in god if you die?

Euler: well if you are right, then i will receive eternal bliss.

Other mathematician: well, if we simply calculate the expected outcome, we have 1/1,000,000,000,000,000 times infinity which means you would have an outcome benefit of infinity. while if God doesn't exist, and one doesn't believe anyways, then there is no lost.

I believe you are talking about Pascal's wager. true enough. However, which God is the real God? Sure, it's great to be talking about the numerous benefits of believing in God, but what makes you believe that God is real and not, say, Zeus or Allah or whomever?

@Aaryan: Good point. For me, I just want to find out why others believe in what they do believe in.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...nly-eat-orange/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#68 kestrelknight

kestrelknight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

Agnosticism Type B, huh? (The belief that there is a god, but that nothing can be known about his/her/its traits, personality, character, etc.) Interesting.

#69 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:14 PM

I believe you are talking about Pascal's wager. true enough. However, which God is the real God? Sure, it's great to be talking about the numerous benefits of believing in God, but what makes you believe that God is real and not, say, Zeus or Allah or whomever?

The real god would have to make himself known to man. When all options to communicate with man (via nature and direct inspiration of the prophets) fail what better way to make yourself known than to become that which you had created? How better to claim divinity than to claim that you can forgive man for their offenses against God (Luke 5:20-24). How better psychically demonstrate the veracity of that claim to a doubting audience than to rise from death? And yet as predicted in a story Jesus told many still do not believe (Luke 16:29-31)

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#70 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 02:51 AM

what makes you believe that God is real and not, say, Zeus or Allah or whomever?

Personally, the original reason I believed in God is that an adult told me he existed when I was little and, being little, I took their word. But over time, I've listened to people talk about their experiences with God and seen it with others. I think I've seen Him get me through a lot of stuff the past few years that I don't think I'd have been able to make it through alone. You could say that I got through them because I worked hard, or just because believing in a higher power has some effect psychologically, or that there were coincidences involved, but when I put it all together, those reasons just don't work for me. But if I had to give just one reason that I believe God is real, it would be that He told me so. Audibly.

Come check out Mafia in the Games Forum
Trainer's Manual Mafia XII: Bugs Mafia is in signups
Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users