Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A Game of Probabilities

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

You and I are playing a little game (that is in no way whatsoever related to any game played on this site *cough*). There are 12 objects, 4 of which have the property M. The goal is to choose an object with the property M.

However, you and I are playing by different rules. For each round, first there is the N phase, in which you secretly choose an object (write down its number or something), then there is the D phase, during which I pick an object and it is revealed whether or not the object has property M.

If the object I pick has the property M, I win, if not we keep going. During any N phase, after you choose an object, you can call 'STOP' and the game will end. Then you reveal your choices, and if at least one has the property M, you win. If none have the property M, I win.

What is your play?

Bonus: Generalize to a case of n objects, k of which have the property M.

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#2 Yodell

Yodell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:59 AM

Spoiler for

edit... added spoiler

Edited by Yodell, 22 June 2012 - 10:01 AM.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt." Mark Twain

#3 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

I guess neither of us knows which objects have property M, and we rely on a third party to give us a determination at the end of each N phase or the STOP event?

#4 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

I guess neither of us knows which objects have property M, and we rely on a third party to give us a determination at the end of each N phase or the STOP event?

Yes, or they could be, like, upside down cards or mahjong tiles or something like that that we shuffled.

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

#5 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Or beakers of acid/base we test with litmus paper...or glasses of pepsi/coke we taste test...but not beakers of acid/base that we taste test...

(sorry, couldn't resist ;P)

#6 phil1882

phil1882

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:20 PM

let me see if i have the riddle correct with an example.
let's say i have 12 playing cards, 4 of which are spades. all cards are over turned, so no one knows which is which.
player 1 chooses 1 card, and keeps it down turned.
then player 2 chooses 1 card. player 2's card is revealed. if it's a spade, he wins, else keep playing.
player 1 picks another card (assuming player 2 didn't win.) player 1 can call stop. if either of the two cards are spade, player 1 wins.
else, player 2 wins.
sound good?

#7 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

I think the second player could choose one of the cards chosen by the first player, as the first player's choices are secret.

#8 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5663 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:34 PM

Spoiler for my guess

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#9 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5663 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:38 PM

let me see if i have the riddle correct with an example.
let's say i have 12 playing cards, 4 of which are spades. all cards are over turned, so no one knows which is which.
player 1 chooses 1 card, and keeps it down turned.
then player 2 chooses 1 card. player 2's card is revealed. if it's a spade, he wins, else keep playing.
player 1 picks another card (assuming player 2 didn't win.) player 1 can call stop. if either of the two cards are spade, player 1 wins.
else, player 2 wins.
sound good?

Only possible difference is that player 2 [I think] doesn't know which card[s] player 1 has chosen.
E.g. P2 might choose one of them herself, and thus can 'steal' some of p1's chances.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#10 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3311 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:29 PM

Yes, your choice is secret, and the object (beaker/tile/card) is not removed from the selection process.

And if I choose your card, your chances for stopping the second round aren't as good. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users