Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Classic - Ant and Honey problem

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#11 bhramarraj

bhramarraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

My first answer was totally wrong. I blame my flu meds.

Spoiler for

#12 pattie-mae

pattie-mae

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:22 PM

it would be 42 inches either way the ant goes... up = 11+30+1=42 .... down = 1+30+11=42

Edited by pattie-mae, 12 June 2012 - 03:23 PM.

#13 bhramarraj

bhramarraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

I could not think of any other route shorter than 42 inch. However if
Spoiler for

#14 Potok

Potok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

Ok there's nothing falling down, right ? They're both inside the box and the honey isnt moving, the ant is. Can someone please explain how would the movement go with your 40inch path ? I simply dont get it. May be ok mathemathically (altho i dont see where you get 6+12+6 nor 1+30+1) but can you elaborate on the actual movement? Again floor and ceiling in the same path sorta dont make sence, it would be either one or the other from my p.o.v.

#15 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:51 PM

Spoiler for Potok

#16 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Spoiler for Potok

That's exactly what I was going to say.....(but my picture wasn't as nice as yours and it wouldn't download)

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#17 valmay

valmay

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

assuming it's a flying ant, then it could fly the length of the diagonal for a 30 by 10 inch rectangle and travel just 31.6 inches.

#18 bhramarraj

bhramarraj

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

That's exactly what I was going to say.....(but my picture wasn't as nice as yours and it wouldn't download)

But it is nowhere mentioned in OP that the box will be broken for fascilitating the ant.
I hope my logic given in Post # 13, may be the correct answer to this tricky puzzle.

#19 Potok

Potok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:19 AM

The box wasnt broken, friend. They just did it to demonstrate the solution, which i do belive is the fastest. Obviously you cant have anything dropping down or flying ants.

#20 ujjagrawal

ujjagrawal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:36 AM

I undersatnd you people had got the answer... you are real genuises... but I would like to put here again explanation for others...

Spoiler for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users