Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Parts Is Parts

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4736 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

Exorcise a man of the cloth
Wig out in haste
Don't go toward the landing strip hospital roof
Wasn't in a rush to have sent
That type of compliment is unsupported
Storm shelter escape pod - or - Moved downwind from the beans
Collapsed in a heap, barely alive
Nullify John's advantages
The business end of a gun
A startling covert affair

Each line describes with synonyms/short definitions, two different words and some kind of direction that one of the words should be subtracted from the other. The answer then remains with each of the ten fitting a general theme hinted at in the title. Like this one.

Also: the answer is present in its entirety within the main word and only separates the subtracted word in two i.e. there is no need to rearrange letters.

#2 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5528 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:29 AM

Exorcise a man of the cloth
Wig out in haste
Don't go toward the landing strip
Wasn't in a rush to have sent
That type of compliment is unsupported
Storm shelter escape pod
Collapsed in a heap, barely alive
Nullify John's advantages
The business end of a gun
A startling covert affair

Each line describes with synonyms/short definitions, two different words and some kind of direction that one of the words should be subtracted from the other. The answer then remains with each of the ten fitting a general theme hinted at in the title. Like this one.

Spoiler for third one

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#3 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:05 PM

Spoiler for The business end of a gun

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#4 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4736 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:45 PM

Spoiler for third one

wellll, yes and no. you picked a poor one am afraid. come to think of it, put these together fairly late last night so i'd better check them all. see this one has potentially two directions to subtract, the "don't" and "strip". A different "landing strip" is needed then subtracting ("don't") the word for "go toward" leaves the answer.

Spoiler for The business end of a gun

makes sense from the perspective of a typical cryptic clue but not what's intended here you big ham ^_^ .

#5 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

makes sense from the perspective of a typical cryptic clue but not what's intended here you big ham ^_^ .

You know you're having a bad time when the nicest-man-in-the-world starts calling you ......And why didn't I read the last paragraph? No, I don't know, either.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#6 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 06:05 PM

Spoiler for This is tough......That type of compliment is unsupported...

#7 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4736 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

hey fabpig - gotta hand it to you, correct on both accounts. that's the first of the parts and as had mentioned, put these together late night. hard to temper the difficulty on these types. hoping the common thread will help but am making some edits to the OP, too. good work.

#8 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Spoiler for The rewrite certainly helped for 3...

#9 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4736 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:14 PM

yes indeed, and figure you're now hep to the leit motif. as one could probably guess, all are three and four letter words.

#10 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3222 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

Spoiler for First and fourth

Edited by Yoruichi-san, 12 June 2012 - 06:23 PM.

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 2 is awaiting it's epic conclusion...are you up to the task?

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users