Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A simple Monty Hall variant

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3231 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 05:15 AM

Seeing as how every 8th grader with a math counts trophy knows the optimal play to his game, ol' Monty decided to shake things up.

He added two more doors, for a total of 5 instead of 3, behind which 4 held a goat, and 1 held a brand spanking new electric car (hey, gotta keep up with the times, eh?).

In the first round, the player chooses two doors instead of one. Then Monty opens up one of the other three doors and reveals a goat. Then the player may choose one of his two original doors or switch to one of the unchosen doors. Monty then releases one more goat (gotta give the first goat some company or else it'll eat Monty's brand new trousers), and the player is then given a final choice of the remaining three doors.

What is your play, if:

1) The second door Monty opens is random?
2) He is purposely playing against you, trying to keep that new car for himself?

And 3) If you weren't sure, how much would you have to suspect dear old Monty's honorable intentions to make either play?

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 2 is awaiting it's epic conclusion...are you up to the task?

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#2 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:01 AM

Spoiler for

#3 BobbyGo

BobbyGo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:51 PM

Spoiler for My attempt

#4 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3231 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:39 PM

On track with the play, but no one's gotten the complete correct reasoning yet. There's a consideration that makes the fractions somewhat uglier ;) .

As for the WIFOM, it is a 30 minute show (well, 23 plus commercials), and if you don't make a play, you have 0 chance of getting the car. That said, okay, this problem may not be as simple as I originally thought.

Spoiler for The down and dirty...

However, for the sake of there being a solution to 2) and 3) (which will also force you to calculate the consideration mentioned above), let's say that Monty doesn't know exactly which door the car is in either, i.e. he is told which door to open for the first and he picks a door he wants to open for the second over his bluetooth and the producers tell him to do it or to choose another door.

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 2 is awaiting it's epic conclusion...are you up to the task?

#5 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:02 PM

Seeing as how every 8th grader with a math counts trophy knows the optimal play to his game, ol' Monty decided to shake things up.

He added two more doors, for a total of 5 instead of 3, behind which 4 held a goat, and 1 held a brand spanking new electric car (hey, gotta keep up with the times, eh?).

In the first round, the player chooses two doors instead of one. Then Monty opens up one of the other three doors and reveals a goat. Then the player may choose one of his two original doors or switch to one of the unchosen doors. Monty then releases one more goat (gotta give the first goat some company or else it'll eat Monty's brand new trousers), and the player is then given a final choice of the remaining three doors.

What is your play, if:

2) He is purposely playing against you, trying to keep that new car for himself?

And 3) If you weren't sure, how much would you have to suspect dear old Monty's honorable intentions to make either play?

Here's a play
Spoiler for approach

Edited by bushindo, 30 May 2012 - 09:10 PM.

#6 mmiguel

mmiguel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 09:46 PM

What is your play, if:

What is your play, if:

Spoiler for try

#7 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3231 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:22 AM

Oh, I had actually pretty much forgotten about this, but *shrug*

Spoiler for Hint...

#8 mmiguel

mmiguel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:45 AM

Oh, I had actually pretty much forgotten about this, but *shrug*

Spoiler for Hint...

Spoiler for

Edited by mmiguel, 04 September 2012 - 02:49 AM.

#9 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

Spoiler for try

Great analysis, and I agree with your answer. Good solve.

#10 kbrdsk

kbrdsk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:47 PM

Spoiler for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users