Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Y-san's Last Dance

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#41 53-30

53-30

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

looks sideways at it, :huh: could you explain, else I think I need glasses

you had the right answer already, but when Y-san is being enigmatic you will probably need to refer to this:
Spoiler for

#42 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

:duh: And I thought the clue was just "PUN"

Edit: @Y-San How many times have you really blown up a chemistry lab?

Edited by phaze, 15 June 2012 - 09:11 AM.

Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#43 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

I feel bad jumping in here when phaze did all the work...

Spoiler for

Yes, props to phaze for doing the work...but it is those who do the math that get to Y-san's final solution ;P. Well done!

. . . :duh:

Spoiler for @Y-san

Chemical engineer actually...which is most definitely not the same thing. I call her (the ChE inside me) a dragon, b/c she was forged in the fires of hell...(over 60% of my starting ChE class either dropped out or switched majors...ah, fun times...who doesn't love quantum statistical thermodynamics? @_@)...

Edit: @Y-San How many times have you really blown up a chemistry lab?

Oh, not that many...just one or two...or twenty-seven...*whistling*

Good work everyone, part 3 will be up later this afternoon/evening...in the meantime, as a bonus, if any Holmes fans care to expound on the implications of the message, be my guest. :)
Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#44 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

Chemical engineer actually...which is most definitely not the same thing. I call her (the ChE inside me) a dragon, b/c she was forged in the fires of hell...(over 60% of my starting ChE class either dropped out or switched majors...ah, fun times...who doesn't love quantum statistical thermodynamics? @_@)...

:lol: Sounds like my chem class. 75% drop out rate by the final. I'm sure it's not like chem engineering but that's still a bit scary. :o

Come check out Mafia in the Games Forum
Trainer's Manual Mafia XII: Bugs Mafia is in signups
Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

#45 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

A heavy burden weighing down his heart, Police Chief Leroy trudged towards his police car, not relishing the call he now had to make. As he approached, he noticed a particularly corpulent seagull perched upon the hood, greedily eyeing the half-eaten bear claw lying in the passenger side seat. The Police Chief waved his arms at the bird, hoping to scare it into flight, but the creature only sat there stubbornly, glaring at him. Reminds me of someone...

He let out a deep sigh and capitulated. He had lost his appetite anyways, so he snatched up the pastry and tossed it at the seagull, who flew to meet it with surprising agility. Briefly, Police Chief Leroy wondered if birds could get diabetes, and felt a pang of guilt, but he shrugged it off. He had more pressing matters to attend to.

When B-kun picked up, he went straight into the explanation, as the stoic young man had never been one for small talk. The Police Chief paused at points, giving him a chance to react, but there was only silence from the other end of the line....until he arrived at the note.

“The autumn of 267? That’s what it said?” There was a short pause and then...laughter broke out from the other end of the line.

The Police Chief frowned. Had the shock driven the poor boy mad? “Are you alright, B-kun?”

“Yes, yes,” he answered, between peels. A pause to take a deep breath, and then a barely audible mutter: “I knew it would take more than that to be rid of that woman.”

“Are you saying she escaped somehow? But how? The door was locked when we arrived. According to the landlord your parents hired, the door could be locked from the inside with the latch, but only from the outside with the key, and there was only one key, which was found inside the house. There is no way anyone could have scaled that cliff. Everything suggests that she hadn’t known about the attack beforehand, so she couldn’t have had the precognition to pack a hang glider or anything like that. And if she had done something flashy like that, the neighbors who reported the gunshot would have noticed. They are an observant bunch. They were insistent that she never left the area after arriving here a few days ago, and besides the local market, there are no shops nearby, so she couldn’t have made a new key or anything....”

A part of him wanted so badly to hold onto hope, but the police officer inside him warned him not to. On B-kun’s instruction, he reluctantly re-entered the house and took a second look around, describing the scene over the phone, the overturned furniture, the broken glass, the blood. The key to the house was lying inside a heavy-bottomed glass jar, about 6 inches high with a 4 inch diameter opening. Also in the jar were some small particles that the Police Chief hadn’t taken the time to identify yet. A beach towel and a half-packed suitcase of clothes lay upon the sofa-bed (with the other half strewn randomly around...guess she had still been somewhat in ‘college’ mode), a half-drunken cocktail rested next to the computer monitor, which was fortunately on the other side of the room from the mayhem.

“Yes...” B-kun murmured at the mention of the computer. “She said something about a file...” There were sounds of clicking and tapping and an interval of pensive silence. “Go look in the refrigerator.”

Perplexed, but believing in B-kun’s insight, Police Chief Leroy obliged. There was a bowl of mangoes, ghiradelli chocolate syrup, a half of a loaf of brioche, some eggs, some butcher paper that seemed to have contained meat or seafood of some sort at some point, a container of ginormous meatballs, a jar of red sauce (Y-san’s special homemade, no doubt), a container of spaghetti, and a bottle of grey goose in the freezer.

More pensive silence, and finally...”If I remember correctly, around the house there was always some...yes, I see...yes, it’s possible...” There was another laugh from the usually meticulously composed young man. “Only that woman would think of something like that...”

“WHAT?!!” the war inside of Police Chief Leroy finally exploded. After B-kun explained, he shook his head. “I can’t believe that would actually work...”

But he sure hoped that it had.

Spoiler for Question 3

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

#46 maSkraP

maSkraP

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 11:54 PM

This one's a tricky one!
Thanks for the post...
Lots to think about while I'm doing #2... xD.

#47 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

Good work everyone, part 3 will be up later this afternoon/evening...in the meantime, as a bonus, if any Holmes fans care to expound on the implications of the message, be my guest. :)

Spoiler for Why B-kun laughed

#48 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

http://www.jimloy.com/arts/holmes2.htm explains it better than I just did (only click link if you want answer)

#49 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 12:45 AM

Spoiler for Why B-kun laughed

Well explained! Except "that woman" is not a reference to Irene Adler...she was "the woman". Small difference, I know, but..."that woman" is a reference to the anime/manga both B-kun and Y-san's appearance and personality ascribe from, which is an accurate description of the relationship b/w them. May go dig up the link to the manga page later...

#50 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 01:02 AM

@Y-san

half eaten bear claw? bottle of grey goose?

Are you going to maintain your Chinese heritage/persona now that you have everyone who is not from the US seriously worried about your eating habits?(until they google them of course)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users