Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

A Challenged Flight Deck

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:38 AM

EventHorizon, I'm not grasping the method. In particular, I can't tell if the "group of three (or more)" is always at least three, or if it resets upon color change. In particular, how would you point the backs for the opening sequence, and what would suits would the observer call?

SHDCSDHCSCHD

Spoiler for Explanation

#32 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

Yes, thanks. What a marvelous solution!

#33 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

was reviewing some older threads for inspiration or possible extension puzzles when a comment EventHorizon made got me thinking anew on this one.

Spoiler for It's nice to be correct, but mistakes allow learning...

a little more specifically - can we gain extra bits of info from a revealed card that is different then expected. have a solution for 36 and would not be surprised if that could be bested by one or two. pretty interesting approach and totally different from the two 35 card solutions if anyone is interested.

#34 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Spoiler for somewhat of a HINT

#35 phaze

phaze

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Is it possible to examine the back of every card before they begin turning them over?
Perfecting Mafia suicide since August 2008

#36 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

hey hey phaze - very glad for the question and interest. to answer though, no. the only info the guessing logician has to go by are all previously displayed cards and the direction of the plane on those cards as well as the direction of the plane on the top of the remaining face down deck.

Spoiler for a slight modification on my previous HINT

#37 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

well, when i said

can we gain extra bits of info from a revealed card that is different then expected. have a solution for 36 and would not be surprised if that could be bested by one or two. pretty interesting approach and totally different from the two 35 card solutions if anyone is interested.

i wasnt totally accurate. in my 36 card solution, i did use a principle used in the 35 card solutions; at least initially. after that the prior solutions methodologies are indeed different.

#38 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:49 PM

Had bumped this thread over a month ago after an extended period with a previous optimal answer. It's about to go off of the front page of the forum and even though there is at least one person following this topic (that you plasmid?), think it's about time to offer another solution. Besides, suspect this solution can be bested.

Spoiler for a solution with 36 correct suits predicted

Think that logic is sound. 37 anyone?

#39 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:29 AM

Had bumped this thread over a month ago after an extended period with a previous optimal answer. It's about to go off of the front page of the forum and even though there is at least one person following this topic (that you plasmid?), think it's about time to offer another solution. Besides, suspect this solution can be bested.

Spoiler for a solution with 36 correct suits predicted

Think that logic is sound. 37 anyone?

Spoiler for 37

#40 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:04 AM

Spoiler for What if it was an infinite deck?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users