Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

A Challenged Flight Deck

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Rob_G

Rob_G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

Spoiler for Simple 62.5%

Spoiler for What if

#22 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4736 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:21 PM

think the first two cards could tell what to choose for one of up or down. two more cards could tell for the other. and you're right, then 12 of the next twenty four could be known. the problem tho arises with the balance of the cards because you have gleaned no more information.

Spoiler for another way to look at EventHorizon's response...

tho i may have misunderstood what you were saying.

#23 Rob_G

Rob_G

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:51 PM

Ok so I started working backwards. Here is what I'm thinking. I've only considered it for the last two (100%) and three (four) (75%) cards.
Spoiler for

Maybe this can be expanded, I don't know, but it's what I came up with.

#24 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:42 AM

Edit: miscounted, going back to make some corrections

Edited by plasmid, 23 May 2012 - 05:45 AM.

#25 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1285 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:17 AM

Here's a way to get 2/3 of the cards right in an arbitrarily large deck, or 35/52 (67.3%) of a standard deck of playing cards.
Spoiler for

#26 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4736 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

well it seems i've been pigeonholed as an overzealous OP. had adapted this puzzle from another which used the first two cards to define what the second logician guessed on half of those remaining plus the half then definable. with the fifty-two playing card format, figured one could do a little better by combining plasmid's described endplay and including the second card in what EventHorizon described as cards 3-26 guaranteeing seven of those twenty five. did not think that thirty three would necessarily be best. did expect it would take some long complicated algorithm to do better rather than such a simple and elegant solution. (though bushindo has not yet chimed in...) brilliant plasmid, kudos!

#27 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:48 PM

well it seems i've been pigeonholed as an overzealous OP. had adapted this puzzle from another which used the first two cards to define what the second logician guessed on half of those remaining plus the half then definable. with the fifty-two playing card format, figured one could do a little better by combining plasmid's described endplay and including the second card in what EventHorizon described as cards 3-26 guaranteeing seven of those twenty five. did not think that thirty three would necessarily be best. did expect it would take some long complicated algorithm to do better rather than such a simple and elegant solution. (though bushindo has not yet chimed in...) brilliant plasmid, kudos!

This is a superb puzzle, plaingazed. My attempts at a solution were frustrated early due to some tunnel vision, but I did gain a lot from watching the evolution of the solution. I am in particular humbled and inspired by the plasmid's creativity and ingenuity. Thank you both for this educational experience.

#28 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:09 AM

Spoiler for Simpler 35

#29 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4736 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:47 PM

well, that puts me squarly in third place. am also curious if there is a way to eek out another (or more) mixing techniques or otherwise. very nicely figured EventHorizon. even i could manage being the assistant with this scheme. cheers

#30 CaptainEd

CaptainEd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1094 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:03 PM

EventHorizon, I'm not grasping the method. In particular, I can't tell if the "group of three (or more)" is always at least three, or if it resets upon color change. In particular, how would you point the backs for the opening sequence, and what would suits would the observer call?

SHDCSDHCSCHD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users