Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Prediction

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:00 AM

I will never make a prediction.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#2 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:06 AM

Technically the rule applies only to the time after you said it.
You made a prediction that as soon as your prediction is over you will never make a prediction.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#3 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:37 AM

Interesting. I think the 'never', implies that the requirement has not already been met. For example, you wouldn't say "I'll never score a goal/touchdown/home run", if you already had.

Edited by fabpig, 15 May 2012 - 12:42 AM.

You must not think me necessarily foolish because I am facetious,  nor will I consider you necessarily wise because you are grave.  Sydney Smith.

#4 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:49 AM

Interesting. I think the 'never', implies that the requirement has not already been met. For example, you wouldn't say "I'll never score a goal/touchdown/home run", if you already had.

While that may be true, that's generally used when you find something impossible to do, in that you're not up to it. But this is more face-value, I think.

Back in Business. 

Are you intelligent? Of course you are. Do you love mind games? Of course you do? Join a Trainer's Manual Mafia in the Games today (well, once one opens up).

#5 fabpig

fabpig

Prominent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2423 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 01:29 PM

Not sure that it matters. Let's change the example to "I'll never do the London Marathon". Not because it's impossible, nor because it's beyond me, but because I don't want to. Again, it also means that I haven't already done it.

#6 Aaryan

Aaryan

Superior Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1966 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

Not sure that it matters. Let's change the example to "I'll never do the London Marathon". Not because it's impossible, nor because it's beyond me, but because I don't want to. Again, it also means that I haven't already done it.

Touché.

Back in Business. 

#7 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5533 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

"Will" is, um, future tense.

Which is why it made sense for the man to say "I'm innocent, and I'll never do it again!" :)
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users