Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A Show Of Hands

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Each of eight logicians has a unique positive integer less than 100 stapled to their foreheads. They stand in a circle facing one another so every logician can see everyone's number, save for their own. Each logician must discern their number and raise their hand. After all logicians have raised a hand, they must then all declare their number in unison. What strategy (within the assumed spirit of these types of puzzles) might they employ such that all are correct?

EDIT

#2 Time Out

Time Out

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

Am guessing that they can agree on a system of communication beforehand

Spoiler for ?Show of Hands

I like the image of the "stapled to head"

#3 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

I thought for sure I mentioned in the OP that they were attending the Arctic Circle of Logicians annual Fresh Air/Fresh Ideas Seminar and were all wearing mittens. Apparantly not, so your answer does indeed fit within the constraints of the OP, Time Out. But for grins, let's do assume the logicians are all wearing plain white mittens.

#4 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

I thought for sure I mentioned in the OP that they were attending the Arctic Circle of Logicians annual Fresh Air/Fresh Ideas Seminar and were all wearing mittens. Apparantly not, so your answer does indeed fit within the constraints of the OP, Time Out. But for grins, let's do assume the logicians are all wearing plain white mittens.

When you say 'numbers less than 100', do you mean 'integers less than 100 but larger than 0'? Also, can a number be repeated?

Edited by bushindo, 14 May 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#5 mewminator

mewminator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 04:43 PM

Spoiler for A possible way of doing it

or I could go for the simpler way
Spoiler for simply

#6 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

hey bushindo - right you are, rewrote this this a.m. and forgot that bit. hadn't saved my .txt draft and Microsoft was kind enough to update and reboot my machine last night. thanks and sorry

and sorry, too - no blinking in morse code, looking in the reflection of the irises to your right, hoof stomping, shouting the number across from you in pig latin, etc., etc...

#7 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:12 PM

Once a hand is raised, can it be put down? Or would that qualify as illegal communication?

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#8 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:15 PM

hey Mo Ma - no, once a hand is raised that is the only bit of info the rest of the group can directly discern from that logician.

#9 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

Each of eight logicians has a unique positive integer less than 100 stapled to their foreheads. They stand in a circle facing one another so every logician can see everyone's number, save for their own. Each logician must discern their number and raise their hand. After all logicians have raised a hand, they must then all declare their number in unison. What strategy (within the assumed spirit of these types of puzzles) might they employ such that all are correct?

EDIT

Here's an attempt.
Spoiler for Solution

Edited by bushindo, 14 May 2012 - 05:35 PM.

#10 bushindo

bushindo

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

I just want to come back and say that this is a really well designed puzzle. I didn't explain the rationale behind the solution before, and so here it is

Spoiler for rationale

Edited by bushindo, 06 July 2012 - 07:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users