Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 4 votes

The Witch's Epigraph, Chapter Two: The Helix and the Rose

• Please log in to reply
199 replies to this topic

#171 WitchOfSecrets

WitchOfSecrets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:12 AM

(Non-puzzle interlude; the mystery will continue soon.)

(Theme: A Cage of Words)

To a Rival Witch

'Who cares for you?' said Alice, (she had grown to her full size by this time.)
'You're nothing but a pack of cards!'

Your people are no people, I'm afraid.

  A grinning scarecrow, Lovers open-armed,
And coward kings of brittle ivory made
  Have secret lives; yours don't. And I've been charmed
By hopeful cards who winked in candlelight.
  I'll chat with chessmen, stitch a floppy hat
To perch atop a cornfield's errant knight --

  Your pieces have less guts to them than that.

You'd pen a poem neatly in a grid,
  Oil-paint a crossword, bronze a puzzle piece!
Her soul is trapped in ink, by ciphers hid,
  A cage of words denying her release.
Alive while dead, her spirit is your letter;
You'd never treat her so, if you knew better.

Edited by WitchOfSecrets, 09 June 2012 - 07:14 AM.

#172 WitchOfSecrets

WitchOfSecrets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:26 AM

(Current suggestion queue:

Suspects to question: Page, Knight
Places to visit: Electrical closet, courtyard, queen's room, security room (takes 15 min due to prior familiarity). Hallways also take 15 minutes only to check.

Am I missing anything?)

Saturday, 2:05 PM

Judgment and I split up again. Judgment left to interview the Page about the kitchen staff and the dispute between Ten and Strength, and I went to visit the electrical closet. The door was unlocked, but I knocked before entering for politeness's sake. The door opened, and a tall, thin man in overalls beckoned me in. It was Knight of Swords.

"You must be one of the security people," he said, his voice gruff. "Well, go ahead and look around. Please don't mess with the fusebox; I hate it when people do that."

I nodded and took stock of my surroundings. As it happens, "closet" wasn't quite the right word for the room, except by convention. It was small, but only in comparison to the grand hall next door, and the roof was high. Metal shelves stacked with lightbulbs, plumbing equipment, and assorted supplies were mounted on the walls, filled with outdated detritus. I'm pretty sure I saw a vacuum tube there, along with a number of other useful trinkets - razorblades, a roll of duct tape, permanent markers...

A tall metal ladder lay on the floor against the west wall, underneath an open fuse box filled with circuit breaker switches. Each switch was labeled with the name of a room, and none appeared to be tripped off; as far as I could tell, every room on the map had a circuit breaker, and in addition there was one labeled "EXTER. LIGHTS". None of them were tagged as controlling the alarm system, which ran on its own more secure power supply.

I turned my attention to the window. "Do you usually keep that open?" I asked.

"Only when I'm working in here," replied Knight. "I close it up every night. Latch is broken, though. I'll be getting around to fixing it later. I'm about to head back to my room, actually, so I guess we can close it up."

He shut the window, and I saw that he'd been telling the truth about the latch; it was completely busted. But I had a few tricks up my sleeve, honed by years of dealing with mysterious thefts. I cut off a strip of duct tape, then grabbed a razorblade and a marker off the shelf as well. "Anyone who gets in here at night could do real mischief," I said. "You aren't going to give that key to anybody, are you?"

"Nope. I don't let anybody borrow it, even."

"Okay," I said. I then put the strip of duct tape just over the join between the panes of the window, where it would be invisible from the outside. I then signed my name across the tape in marker and scored it several times with the razor. Anybody who opened the window would break this seal. It wouldn't stop anybody from breaking in, but I'd know it if someone did. After replacing the tape, marker, and razor, I did my usual thorough search for secret passages; there were none.

"I'm heading back to my room," said Knight. I followed him out, and he shut and locked the electrical closet door behind us using his key.

Edited by WitchOfSecrets, 10 June 2012 - 04:29 AM.

#173 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

nah, I think you got it all. Say, are you the same person IRL as WitchOfDoubt?

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...power-of-green/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#174 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:44 AM

nah, I think you got it all. Say, are you the same person IRL as WitchOfDoubt?

You mean this isn't real life? :o :blink:

#175 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

You mean this isn't real life? :o :blink:

*Gasps* What!? *Faints* :thumbsup:
The cake is a lie.

#176 flamebirde

flamebirde

the guy who lurks in the corners, posting useless stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1320 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:44 AM

you know, the place where we recruit mafia addic- I mean players.

Mafiosos and mafiosas of the world, unite! And then kill each other in a particularly tricky move that everyone suspects but never anticipates.

stand back. I'm going to apply logic.

Come join the battle against the Chromatic Witch! http://brainden.com/...power-of-green/

The Coup of Rhotus still needs players!End the 2 year sign up phase! http://brainden.com/...-mafia-signups/

#177 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

(Non-puzzle interlude; the mystery will continue soon.)

Your people are no people, I'm afraid.

  A grinning scarecrow, Lovers open-armed,
And coward kings of brittle ivory made
  Have secret lives; yours don't. And I've been charmed
By hopeful cards who winked in candlelight.
  I'll chat with chessmen, stitch a floppy hat
To perch atop a cornfield's errant knight --

  Your pieces have less guts to them than that.

You'd pen a poem neatly in a grid,
  Oil-paint a crossword, bronze a puzzle piece!
Her soul is trapped in ink, by ciphers hid,
  A cage of words denying her release.
Alive while dead, her spirit is your letter;
You'd never treat her so, if you knew better.

This poem is haunting. While it claims to be a non-puzzle, I've bolded words that make me think it is a puzzle of some kind.

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#178 Potok

Potok

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

I understood the non-puzzle as "not related to the Idol mystery" but that the whole song normally is a puzzle.

#179 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3231 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 05:17 PM

This poem is haunting. While it claims to be a non-puzzle, I've bolded words that make me think it is a puzzle of some kind.

Yeah...I noticed that too...also the references to chess, which is also a grid...

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 2 is awaiting it's epic conclusion...are you up to the task?

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#180 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:03 PM

I think I know what the poem is about, but I don't think I've even scratched the surface. It's speculation, but I'm putting it into a spoiler anyway.

Spoiler for Speculation

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users