Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A really simple connect-the-dots problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#11 WitchOfSecrets

WitchOfSecrets

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:43 AM

Illustration:

Spoiler for You're right, that WAS simple!

Yoruichi-san's solution is elegant, but I want to sell concessions at that median divider, maybe set up a traffic island, possibly a theme park.

Edited by WitchOfSecrets, 13 May 2012 - 06:46 AM.

#12 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3309 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

Illustration:

Spoiler for You're right, that WAS simple!

Yoruichi-san's solution is elegant, but I want to sell concessions at that median divider, maybe set up a traffic island, possibly a theme park.

Lol...what they didn't tell you was that these four towns are all towns of super-genius scientists (like Eureka ;P), and they've all established teleporters to each other's towns already, and this whole exercise is a diversion to keep the board occupied so they don't have to try to explain the safety procedures of teleportation to a bunch of non-scientists.

Tony Stark to Bruce Banner in The Avengers, discussing gamma radiation: "Finally, someone who speaks English!"

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#13 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:29 PM

Very clever. I like this solution so much that I submitted it to the combined Town Boards of the ABCD Municipality for approval. They texted me back and said they were willing to proceed, even to bear the cost of all that additional asphalt, provided that

Spoiler for we also submit

Spoiler for the line

The cake is a lie.

#14 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5652 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:48 PM

Spoiler for the line

Traffic to and from each city is separated by a yellow line.

The Board was willing to concede that a rose by any other name smelled just as sweet.
But when I forwarded your proposal to paint a yellow line of a non-yellow color,
they just kind of got glassy eyed and looked confused.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#15 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Traffic to and from each city is separated by a yellow line.

The Board was willing to concede that a rose by any other name smelled just as sweet.
But when I forwarded your proposal to paint a yellow line of a non-yellow color,
they just kind of got glassy eyed and looked confused.

If we cover the yellow line, we can put the line in a quantum superposition of states. Then, it's both yellow and not yellow at the same time! Now, I'm not sure how that would help. (Maybe we can confuse the board enough that they'll agree with our proposals.) But anyway, why can't we make a line that's shorter than the road. There's nothing that says that the line has to go all the way along the road, merely that the traffic has to be separated. Or, we could put a sequence of infinitely short yellow lines. The cars will always be separated by at least one, but the length is still zero.
The cake is a lie.

#16 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5652 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:40 PM

If we cover the yellow line, we can put the line in a quantum superposition of states. Then, it's both yellow and not yellow at the same time! Now, I'm not sure how that would help. (Maybe we can confuse the board enough that they'll agree with our proposals.) But anyway, why can't we make a line that's shorter than the road. There's nothing that says that the line has to go all the way along the road, merely that the traffic has to be separated. Or, we could put a sequence of infinitely short yellow lines. The cars will always be separated by at least one, but the length is still zero.

The board has this weird notion that every vehicle must have a yellow line on its left every inch of the way between every pair of cities, fearing legal head-on collisions otherwise. So, like it or not, we've got to minimize the total length of that yellow line.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#17 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5652 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 04:34 AM

Anyway ... Overdue kudos to the solvers bushindo and Yoruichi-san.

Here's an attempt,

Spoiler for attempt

That's it.

I think you're right

Spoiler for Yay, calculus

120o angles at the waypoints.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users