BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

math war: numerical combat

phil1882

a pretty simple game; i'll post a series of operations; add, subtract, multiply, divide, and parenthesis; in a spoiler tag. your objective will be to generate the largest result you can without looking at the spoiler.

you can use 1-5 digit numbers positive or negative. division will be round down to the nearest integer.

you can post more than one series if you wish; up to 5; i'll take the largest one.

the winning player should post the next series.

(_ * (_ - _ - _) + _)/(_ - _)

Edited by phil1882

(_ * (_ - _ - _) + _)/(_ - _)

Is it just me, or does seem impossible?

I see what you're saying and it confused me, but I think he means that you can't look at my answers and I can't look at yours. Or something.

@phil: Can we look at the spoiler in the OP? Because I did...

I see what you're saying and it confused me, but I think he means that you can't look at my answers and I can't look at yours. Or something.

@phil: Can we look at the spoiler in the OP? Because I did...

Aaaah......that makes more sense (which is a bit frightening as it's you :) ) - but why put the operations in a spoiler anyway?

i think you're not supposed to look at the spoiler. may be best not to include the operands until after set amount of posts? or the current host pm's contestants after their entries? or not...

99999,1,1,1,1,1,1 - yeah, i know; not very interesting. may try another

i think you're not supposed to look at the spoiler. may be best not to include the operands until after set amount of posts? or the current host pm's contestants after their entries? or not...

99999,1,1,1,1,1,1 - yeah, i know; not very interesting. may try another

Oh....I get it.

Only the host knows how the numbers will be used. PGs totally makes sense. But I totally looked at his numbers, too. (You can't tell me that the presents are in the closet and then expect me to not peek.....)

So I'm going to just pick random numbers while trying to not remember the layout.

-73, 9102, 8267, 0, i

Incidentally, if 0 and i are not allowed, please substitute 42 and -42. Kthx.

I chose these numbers and then randomised their order for a bit more fairness.

Edited by Molly Mae

• 2 weeks later...