Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5713 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 07:16 AM

What is product of :

(x - a) (x - b) ........ (x - z) ?

I've seen this product expanded and I suppose I could search for it. Too lazy. ;)
But clearly it has a x26 term and a abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz term.
What the other terms must look like can be seen by expanding the first four terms:

(x - a) (x - b)(x - c) (x - d) =

x4 [1] +
x3 [-a -b -c -d] +
x2 [ab + ac + ad + bc + bd + cd] +
x1 [-abc -abd -acd -bcd] +
x0 [abcd]
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#12 jword

jword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:46 PM

There is no ambiguity in the question initially posted, only ,as pointed out, sloppy wording. The question was to imply "each year the tree attained a height of double the previous year" without being too obvious, and still allow an element of ambiguity. However the posted version "rate of growth" was too forthright and to this version Noct was correct, although not the answer I intended. It appears some of the answers are confusing themselves by mixing what I might have been implying (which would have been the correct train of thought ,had I worded differently) with what I actually posted. So right answer, wrong question. :wacko:

#13 Talha

Talha

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:16 PM

Spoiler for answer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users