Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smile4me

smile4me

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

what shape is the rainbow?
rainbow.jpg

really?
check this out
http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Edited by smile4me, 22 March 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#2 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:17 AM

Hmmmm...a rainbow with no color?! Some gay jokes are coming to mind, but I don't discriminate :) Let's see - like the St. Louis Arch, it almost resembles a caternary object. I don't know, I just think I sound smart when I say "caternary." Neat video, though, and I like adding random comments, so why not to something that doesn't have a comment yet? :)

#3 claire

claire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 10:19 AM

I think an ARC shape!

#4 ADParker

ADParker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 05:50 AM

I think an ARC shape!

Nope. A circle.

All Rainbows are this shape, most are cut off by the horizon. The only reason that one in the video was seen complete was that the observer was at a sufficient hight above the groud (or any other obstacle) to see the whole thing.
The colours seen are a matter of light refraction, so where exactlythey are seen is determined not by a set point in space - That is a "Rainbow" is not at all like a solid set in place object - But by the point at which the light hits an observers eye, at just the "right" angle for them to see the colours. So the 'position' of the rainbow is a combination of the area where light is refracted by water droplets and the position of the observer. As a result two observers side by side will see two slightly different rainbows in two slightly different locations :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users