Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pirates and Laptops

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:34 AM

A friend told this to me, and I thought I'd share it here:

100 pirates need to allocate 100 identical laptops among them. Their democratic system works as follows:
All pirates are ranked by their seniority (all pirates have different ranks). First, the most senior pirate proposes a plan that states exactly how many laptops each pirate gets. The 100 pirates vote on the plan and it passes at least half of the pirates vote for it. If it passes, all pirates take their laptops and go home. If it fails, the one who proposed the plan (the most senior pirate in this case) is killed, and the second most senior pirate takes his place and proposes his plan.The same process is repeated in the order of seniority until someone's plan is passed.

Assume every pirate makes his decision based on the following priorities:
1. He doesn't want to die.
2. Given he's not going to die, he would prefer to get as many laptops as possible.
3. Given he's going to get the same number of laptops, he would prefer as many other pirates to die as possible.

Also assume every pirate is logical, rational, and selfish (wants as many laptops as possible and doesn't care what anyone else gets as long as it doesn't affect him) and knows everyone else is the same. What will happen? i.e. whose proposal will be passed and what is the proposal?
The cake is a lie.

#2 Smith

Smith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:12 AM

How about...
Spoiler for A Quick Guess

#3 Blavek

Blavek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:00 AM

Spoiler for My solution

#4 SeaCalMaster

SeaCalMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 07:00 AM

Spoiler for My solution

I feel like not posting the solution, if only because I'm curious to see what people invent. Here's a hint, though...
Spoiler for

#5 shiftyeyes24/7

shiftyeyes24/7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

I would of thought that if the pirates knew what happened to the last 2 pirates, if you were the third-to-last pirate, surely you would order the death of one of the other pirates or kill him yourself and take it from there!

#6 Amiab

Amiab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

If there was only 2 pirates were, first one proposes 100:0 and he gets all laptop. If there were 3
pirates, first pirate proposes 99:0:1 third one will accept it (if no this proposal couldn't be approved and first will be killed and second one proposes 100:0 and he gets all laptop leaving third with nothing). If there were 4 pirates first pirate proposes 99:0:1:0 and third support him (or first one dies and he gets nothing). If there were 5 pirates first one proposes 98:0:1:0:1 and gets third and fifth's support. And so on; if 100 pirates were present, first pirates propose 51:0:1:0......................:1:0:1:0 and this will won half the vote. (this is my first attempt and may have errors )

#7 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 04:46 PM

Question: This is only my second topic posted, am I supposed to say when someone gets the answer?
The cake is a lie.

#8 thoughtfulfellow

thoughtfulfellow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

Question: This is only my second topic posted, am I supposed to say when someone gets the answer?

I don't think there is a hard set rule on this but most posters do monitor, sometimes giving additional clues, answering questions and giving credit to progress toward the answer as well as congtaatulations to the solver.

#9 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:51 PM

Spoiler for ^^^ In that case...

The cake is a lie.

#10 Smith

Smith

Advanced Member