Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TrollMan

TrollMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:34 AM

Well, there are too many movies out there that seem to be too predictable, yet so many people line up excitingly to see new clichéd romantic comedies. I’ll admit I’ve fallen into this marketing trap, but only to socialize. :P

Here are some of my favourites:

The Informant!
The Dark Knight
Lions for Lambs
Fight Club
October Sky
V for Vendetta

What are some of yours? :D

Edited by TrollMan, 12 January 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#2 Shakeepuddn

Shakeepuddn

Sir Shakelot

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:22 AM

I'm not sure if you want me to post favorite recent cliched movies or my favorite flicks of all time (as you have listed some lesser knowns from years past). I'll stick with the latter, though I'm showing my age here. Anyway, these come highly recomended from an aficionado of good film:

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Graduate
The Sting
Three Days of the Condor
Klute
Catch 22
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2012)
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolfe
The Lion in Winter (superb!)
A Man for all Seasons

There are many, many more, but I tried to list those provocative films that reflect an entertaining and artistic level and mood, while requiring as well a mental participation for their fullest enjoyment.

#3 EDM

EDM

Smiley Queen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4238 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:36 AM

I dunno...I guess I like all the Agatha Christie movies & the Sherlock Holmes series movies...all of them!!! :D

@Shakee: so that makes you a little over 25 years, right? ;) :P :D

Edited by EDM, 12 January 2012 - 09:40 AM.

Please Have a Look at The Board Guidelines... :) Before You Start Partying At The Site...Rules help out, here... :D :D :D
I'm The Smiley Queen Posted Image...Bow Down To My Smiley Smileyness!!! :P :D :D :D

#4 Quag

Quag

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1707 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:48 PM

some good ones there I gotta add

The Usual Suspects

one question though, "The Dark Knight" an intelligent movie?? were you using some illegal substances when you watched that or is there another movie with the same title?

#5 dawh

dawh

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:30 PM

some good ones there I gotta add

The Usual Suspects

one question though, "The Dark Knight" an intelligent movie?? were you using some illegal substances when you watched that or is there another movie with the same title?

I was definitely going to add "The Usual Suspects." :P

"The Dark Knight" had a very...interesting...reimagining of the Joker that I found provocative. Though I do think that the previous movie was a solid restart to the Batman franchise: "Batman Begins."

Other good movies:

The Matrix (there is only one B)))
The Sting (just to reemphasize what a good movie that is :D)
Ocean's Eleven (with Clooney, I haven't seen the earlier one)
North by Northwest
Casablanca

Comedies often get underrated because they "aren't serious," but I think that there are some very good ones that are very well written and you have to use your head to get some of the jokes:

Men in Black
Galaxy Quest

There's a lot of quick laughs in both of these movies, but they also tell a story and there are so many references or allusions that you can watch them over and over and find something new that you missed the last time around. :lol:

#6 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

I'm a twist fan. I like the kind of movies that make you rethink the whole movie after a single scene. Some of those movies are listed below.

Sublime (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0822858/)
Donnie Darko
Cube
Pi
Twelve Monkeys

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#7 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:48 AM

anything by darren arnofsky or david lynch particularly 'the fountain' and 'mulholland dr.'

terry gilliam is another great director 'fear and loathing' 'brazil' '12 monkeys'

good call on 'who's afraid of virginia wolfe?' shakeepuddn! I love films that are nearly all dialogue with only a couple sets yet keep you entertained throughout. like '12 angry men' or 'stalag 17' or 'john carpenter's the thing'

a movie I recently saw that is quite artistic and interesting is 'enter the void' - very unique perspective as well

'eternal sunshine of the spotless mind', 'being john malchovich', 'adaptation', 'the curious case of benjamin button', 'shutter island', 'event horizon' and its so well known but I still love 'the matrix' so much

#8 Amiab

Amiab

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

I hope you guys know of movie called Memento by Christopher Nolan.

#9 Shakeepuddn

Shakeepuddn

Sir Shakelot

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1525 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 05:11 AM

Yeah, Memento is good. Itachi, Agree on the tense dialogue flicks. Love 12 angry men, and what a stellar cast. I'm surprised nobody mentioned any Hitchcock . . . Rear Window rocks!

#10 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, Memento is good. Itachi, Agree on the tense dialogue flicks. Love 12 angry men, and what a stellar cast. I'm surprised nobody mentioned any Hitchcock . . . Rear Window rocks!

heh after I posted that I thought about him. and I also forgot to mention Kubrick, my favorite director of all time... such astounding films as 'a clockwork orange' 'Dr. Strangelove' 'the Shining' 'Eyes Wide Shut' and '2001' all arguably the best of their respective genres

another director I find fascinating is takashi miike. I recommend 'audition' the most. it's not for the faint of heart though and it really sneaks up on you =) his work is so broad ranging from psychotic and sadistic yakuza flicks to westerns and family films. very interesting body of work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users