Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Witch's Epigraph Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#81 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:44 AM

I think we're on the right track.
The cake is a lie.

#82 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 08:29 AM

Both Aziraphael and the boy cracked Ms. Ellis's riddle almost instantly. While vampires could spread by exponential growth, Batsheva's character suggested a different sort of answer altogether. Noticing that TheChad had offered the exponential answer, however, the Witch beckoned him to the table to sit two seats away from Thalia. (That is to say, five seats away from the boy and one seat from the end of the table with the Witch.)

As plainglazed commented on the solution of the safe, he, too, was invited to the table to sit opposite TheChad.

"Annabel," said Dudeney, as Aziraphael took the last step, "Now that they've discovered how to open the safe, perhaps we should resume?"

Wilson's guess was clever, if a little too dependent on the condition of the records and sleeves. And as for Molly Mae's thought on playing the records backwards...

"A fine thought, but no need to play the records backwards. The reversal was not a red herring, but a deliberate complication," said the Witch. "It was conjured by the word 'turnabout', and meant to deter those who guessed at keys without close inspection."

Two spaces remained at the table, though more could be made as needed. Perhaps newcomers would arrive to fill them by the time of the Witch's Banquet for this chapter. For now, the Intermission was over. The solutions to the last of Sexton's clues would have to wait.

End Chapter 1 Intermission

When L. V. saw how closely Nat Foreman and Batsheva Ellis were cooperating on the tutorial clues, an unusual expression passed across his face. For a brief moment, his mellow smile gave way to a frown of suspicion. But the pop of the phonograph coming to life distracted him, and he turned to listen as the first record began to play:

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday.

Who could hang a name on you,

When you change with every new day?

Still, I'm gonna miss you.

So fixated was L.V. upon on the safe when "Rhapsody in Blue" began that he didn't see Batsheva wipe a tear from Nat's eye. Ocean saw, but said nothing, mentally counting the number of locks they had gotten past. Then, as soon as the safe clicked, Batsheva hurried over and craned her neck to see what was going on. "Well," said L.V., his voice a little shaky, all exaggerated Malibu mannerisms banished for the moment, "let's see what's inside."

"Maybe the ring ended up in there!" said Batsheva. But there was no ring in the safe, only a note and a tiny key. The note read:

A great ship of steam hides the lock to this key.

(It rides on a ladder, instead of the sea.)

"That's... surprisingly easy," said Foreman. He joined the group in investigating the most logical place, certain that a new puzzle would await them there..

Meet the Pieces (Part 8 of Many)

Nat Viers Foreman

Born Matthijs van Viers of Amsterdam to a doting mother and a now-estranged father, the man we now know as Nat Foreman came to America to pursue a career in business. Aided by a remarkable gift for languages, he ably traded with speculators around the world in their own tongue. After making a fortune at a young age, he married, became a part-time financial consultant, and devoted his greater efforts to the writing of poetry and the preservation of rare books. Even given these elevated tastes, however, he was not above composing doggerel riddles for the entertainment of the Club.

Sample Riddle:

There were two riddles on the page:

"Held by one, I bring frustration.

Shared by two, I bring elation.

Shared by three, I bring confusion

When not shared, I am illusion."

---

"Small mirrors it makes;

Big mirrors it shakes."

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 12 January 2012 - 08:37 AM.

#83 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:43 AM

Spoiler for I may agree with Foreman...

And as for Nat's riddle 1:
Spoiler for

Riddle 2 may need coming back to, but here's a stab in the dark:
Spoiler for

#84 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

Spoiler for I may agree with Foreman...

And as for Nat's riddle 1:
Spoiler for

Riddle 2 may need coming back to, but here's a stab in the dark:
Spoiler for

I agree with 1, but I don't know if 2 would be that obvious. It's definitely plausible, though. How many locks have we gotten through?
The cake is a lie.

#85 rvc113

rvc113

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:26 PM

I agree with all of them but riddle 2.

if it was "Earthquake": it should be the other way around: Big mirrors it shakes, Small mirrors it makes;

PS: I missed the full Chapter as I did not realise a new thread was started. Need to keep a eye on new threads for start of Chapter 2.

WoD, when do you think, chapter 2 will be online? Keep up the great work, I'm struggling a bit with some of the riddles as English is my 2nd language.

#86 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:45 PM

I agree with 1, but I don't know if 2 would be that obvious. It's definitely plausible, though. How many locks have we gotten through?

As far as I remember it, without a lot of trawling,
Spoiler for

I agree with all of them but riddle 2.

if it was "Earthquake": it should be the other way around: Big mirrors it shakes, Small mirrors it makes;

PS: I missed the full Chapter as I did not realise a new thread was started. Need to keep a eye on new threads for start of Chapter 2.

WoD, when do you think, chapter 2 will be online? Keep up the great work, I'm struggling a bit with some of the riddles as English is my 2nd language.

At the bottom of each WoD section, there is a link to each chapter. I expect WoD will update these links as and when the next is available...

Edited by Aziraphael, 12 January 2012 - 02:45 PM.

#87 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Spoiler for Hmm

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#88 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Spoiler for Hmm

Don't think they run on steam..... ;)

#89 Cavenglok

Cavenglok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:15 PM

Can I join?

BRIAN DENNIS: WARM-UP

Anyone who wants to join, or if you're looking for a certain piece of evidence, here's a link to a list of evidence. Thanks, Aaryan!

http://brainden.com/...rm-up/?p=327768

#90 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 05:46 PM

Don't think they run on steam..... ;)

And trains don't run on ladders. =P

Can I join?

This game/mystery/puzzle series is open (similar to Brian Dennis). All are welcome!

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users