Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Witch's Epigraph Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#61 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:16 AM

Spoiler for Second Key

I'm a bit confused, and I think you guys are too smart for me.

Spoiler for question

The cake is a lie.

#62 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:17 AM

@ WoD No, we will never stop thinking!
The cake is a lie.

#63 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:58 AM

Spoiler for The spectre from the tutorial

Come check out Mafia in the Games Forum
Trainer's Manual Mafia XII: Bugs Mafia is in signups
Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

#64 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:59 AM

I'm a bit confused, and I think you guys are too smart for me.

Spoiler for question

Spoiler for Why

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#65 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

Spoiler for @WoD

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#66 SeaCalMaster

SeaCalMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:16 AM

Well, that was complicated.

Spoiler for Purple!

#67 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:10 AM

Well, that was complicated.

Spoiler for Purple!

Spoiler for SeaCalMaster: Where did you get...?

#68 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

The Witch mulled over Molly Mae's answer. TO followed by four pairs of letters could be made into a journey for any number of letter pairs, and the Humans had already won an amber using a similar strategy, and two would be far too generous.

"Hmm," said the Witch. "No, this answer may be a valiant attempt, but it is not sufficient at this time."

That Molly could not hear the music would not be too problematic. Although the title of the last mood piece, "Hope", had been a clue, that was an exception, not the rule. But the presence of 55 in that name, which Molly had aptly spotted, was no coincidence. "Ah, so you see it already! Ahaha!"

Noticing Morningstar in the vicinity, the Witch offered a seat next to Molly Mae. "You say you'll never stop thinking? Hmm... we shall see." Then, noting Thalia's progress on the tutorial clues, the Witch gloated, "Indeed! This is a magic that allows a ghost, a spectre, to appear from nowhere! Now, the remaining clues...?"

At last, SeaCalMaster approached the cipher answer that the Witch had crafted, and was immediately offered a set between Thalia and Wilson. But Ms. Cox was not satisfied with this answer. "Don't speak to soon!" she said. "The riddle isn't solved until the safe is opened, 'purple' is not part of the answer, and the safe has a microphone lock!"

"True, true," said the Witch. "Complicated or not, another step remains to open the safe. Ah, Aziraphael, welcome. Do sit opposite Thalia, if you like. Now, Bromfield covered 'Mamma Said', but the Shirelles - "

But before the Witch could finish, the room shook wildly, agitating the plates, silverware, and Dudeney. It was as if the aftershocks of the earthquake in the story even affected this place, or the whim of some fickle machinery were undermining the foundations of its existence.

"Is everyone well?" asked the Witch, trying to hide considerable discomposure. Everyone was, though Dudeney was a bit rattled. The Witch readjusted the mask carefully. "It seems this venue is a little unstable. Is it not fortunate that I called an Intermission just before that last tremor?"

"If you're saying 'magic' told you this place was gonna start shaking apart," said the boy at the head of the table, "You're totally full of it." He returned to reading a typed page in his hand.

---

Meet the Pieces (Part 7 of Many)

Batsheva Ellis

Quote: "Does anybody say, 'I'm gonna think inside the box on this one?' Maybe they should! What if you're an ant living inside the cardboard walls of the box, and everything inside and outside those walls is 'outside the box,' because it's not part of the tunnels in the cardboard you've made into a home for your ant family?.

So I think the answer is 'an ant.'

Why so surprised? What, you thought I was gonna get it wrong?"

Background: Born to a Manhattan lawyer and an architect, Batsheva was raised in a family that, on the spectrum of Judaism from Orthodox to Reform, fell somewhere around 'Not Christian.' From these beginnings, she proceeded to go to college, change her major more often than her hat, and graduate with a 4.0 GPA and a "Bachelor's of Something or Other." In spite of her family's fears that she was too unfocused to make a living, she managed to prosper, surmounting countless barriers by ignoring them.

Some members of the Club think that she uses a constant stream of surreal patter to help herself think, and that what she says has nothing to do with the brilliant answers that generally follow. Others argue that she communicates her thoughts very clearly, but in the language of her home planet.

Sample riddle:

Several Club members had gathered around to hear Batsheva Ellis's latest riddle - an easy one, by her admission.

"I've got one. Flying takes a lot of energy! Right? It's a big drain of flying animals, like hummingbirds, bumblebees, and vampires."

This was entirely par for the course for an Ellis riddle.

"So, let's suppose that, in order to fly, a vampire needs to drink one person's blood every hour. And one hour after a person gets drunk from, they turn into a vampire themselves, with the same hourly blood-drinking requirement.'

"I don't think," said Kenichi, "that there would be any humans left."

"It's a really big city! Anyway, suppose a single vampire goes out hunting at 12 PM. What's the total number you have six hours later?"

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 11 January 2012 - 12:52 PM.

#69 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:03 PM

Good job I was never any good at math!
Spoiler for Well, exponentially...

#70 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

Spoiler for question

Edit: Typo.

Edited by Morningstar, 11 January 2012 - 02:10 PM.

The cake is a lie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users