Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Witch's Epigraph Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#31 TheChad

TheChad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:05 AM

As for where the key was hidden, that is a really hard part.
Spoiler for

WoD, this is absolutely amazing.
I love this. Is it all original because this should be a game. It surpasses Riven/Myst

Edited by TheChad, 04 January 2012 - 08:09 AM.

#32 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:57 AM

(Thanks!

The puzzles are all my own, except when they're modified versions of obvious old chestnuts - the frog in the well becomes the frog on the stairs, and so on. It's been a challenge! Although riddles sometimes end up with multiple solutions by accident, it's hard to make a riddle have more than one solution on purpose, unless you're willing to play with the rules, dropping clues to the second solution later on. Not every puzzle will have two solutions!

That said, I have to give credit where credit is due. While the organization of these threads, the puzzles, the Club, and a lot of other ideas here are my creation, this is very much a homage to Umineko, a weird, wonderful electronic novel that is, sadly, better known for its awful animated adaptation. So some of the coolest ideas you'll see here are not mine.

Details, spoilered since not many people are likely to care:

Spoiler for Wherein I gush about Umineko

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 04 January 2012 - 09:01 AM.

#33 SeaCalMaster

SeaCalMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hmm...
Spoiler for Possible key location?

#34 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:34 PM

Spoiler for @TheChad

Spoiler for @WoD

Edited by Molly Mae, 04 January 2012 - 05:35 PM.

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#35 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 09:41 AM

(Molly Mae: I recommend trying the free demo first; the style of the game really isn't for everyone, but it's worth looking into. That said, the real plot doesn't kick into gear until after the first episode, so...)

Suddenly, as the guests were searching the toy chest, the ground began to shake violently.

"Earthquake!" shouted Mark, more excited than afraid. As a child of Los Angeles, he'd lived through a few of these. A few guests from farther afield were startled, but there was barely any time to panic, as the shaking ended within seconds. A toy boxcar fell off of the table with the model railroad set, crashing violently on the ground, but was miraculously undamaged, and a few books fell from the top of the bookcase.

As everyone gathered their wits, Alicia Tressler, the only medical doctor among the guests, quickly checked everyone for injuries. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, but as she was helping Mrs. Ye to her feet, she saw something glinting in the toy chest. One of the jewels set into a costume crown, a cheap plastic trinket, was not an imitation at all, but a real opal. It came loose with a click, revealing that its underside bore the inscribed symbol of a chess knight.

"My God," said Alicia. "Look at it shine!"

But attempts to use the opal on the lock were fruitless. Even though the opal would prove useful later on, the sequence also referred to something entirely different in the toy chest.

Meet the Pieces (Part 5 of Many)

Alicia Tressler

Profession: Doctor

Quote: "Well, differential diagnosis is a little like solving a puzzle or being a detective. You have to work it all out by elimination and follow all the clues. But you don't get to screw around until you're sure of your answer. The germs don't wait!"

Background: Born in Madrid, Spain, to a British diplomat and a local teacher, Alicia Tressler loved medical news and strange tropical diseases from childhood on. With the same verve that made her the queen of the youth soccer field, she chased a career in medicine. Now that she's well-established as a practicing physician, she enjoys medical mysteries, the piano, and poetry in the Romance languages.

Random fact: She once drove a van decorated to look like a giant mouse for 500 miles.

Sample puzzle: It was Puzzle Career Night, when guests at the Club brought in challenges that were relevant to their jobs or fields of expertise. Dr. Tressler had a particularly cogent example.

"Let's do some epidemiology," she said to the assembled guests. "Here's the story.

First-year students in Layton House at Gressenheller University room together in pairs. During the first three weeks at the university, however, they rotate between rooms, switching roommates every week. Unfortunately for them, one of the new arrivals carried the Blah virus.

Luckily, a student with early symptoms was diagnosed and they were all tested and treated. But who was Patient Zero, the person who first brought the virus to Layton House?

Here's a schedule showing which students were rooming together during each rotation, and what their test results were. We'll refer to them by number to keep them anonymous:"

Posted Image

"Now, some rules!

One: The virus only passes between students who are currently rooming together. However, between two roommates, its transmission rate is 100%.

Two: Everyone who tested positive had the virus, and everybody who tested negative was uninfected.

Three: Students 12, 13, and 14 all arrived a few weeks early to campus, and could not have been patient zero.

Who was patient zero?"

(Note: The rough format of this puzzle was borrowed from a biology class, but the scenario is mine. Reference available upon request.)

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 05 January 2012 - 09:47 AM.

#36 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:56 PM

Spoiler for Patient Zero

Edited by Molly Mae, 05 January 2012 - 03:57 PM.

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#37 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4743 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 08:24 PM

Spoiler for a much deserved bump

#38 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

(You're knocking these down as quickly as I can put them up! Thank goodness I made some of these in advance!)

Before the opening of the safe:

"That's all it says," said Dr. Rinaldi, shrugging expressively. "MRS YE, STOP."

It was then that Batsheva Ellis swept in, in a flurry of bangles and flora. "Ooh! Wait, wait! Say that out loud again." Rinaldi complied.

Ms. Ellis's idea seemed sound enough. L. V. watched, feigning incomprehension, as Ms. Ellis affected a campy drag queen voice, pointed to an item in the toy chest, and said to Mrs. Ye, "Lemme borrow that top!"

"Excuse me?" asked Margaret. She'd always found Batsheva a bit exasperating.

"That's a cute top! I wanna borrow it! Let me -" Ms. Ellis stopped, seeing that her efforts at lightening the mood were falling flat, and said, "It's a YouTube thing."

Mrs. Ye handed the top over. It was decorated with multicolored dots, but the part that immediately drew Ms. Ellis's attention was the handle. It unscrewed from the disc easily, coming out together with a metal cylinder that fit neatly into the cabinet's lock. The doors swung open to reveal this room's first safe, which bore a maze and compass lock.

"It must be electronic," said Kenichi, noting the lack of notches on the key. "It has a chip inside the handle to signal the door."

One lock down, thought Batsheva, five to go! The safe posed little challenge for the guests, and they opened it in no time.

-----------

(The second half of the page found in the safe:)

With a last careful click, Walter Sexton, one of the Club's more traditional puzzle solvers, spun the compass dial to the last position - E. "Rather like solving a crossword," he remarked. "Fill in the missing letters to find the 'answer.'" As he spoke, the safe swung open, revealing yet another safe inside it - a safe within a safe. On that safe was taped a piece of paper - the very piece of paper you are reading right now - and on that piece of paper were two stories.

The second story told how Walter opened the safe, but the first was an outrageous lie. According to the top half of the page, L. V. had opened the safe using one of his mother's names, a piece of information that would have been entirely inaccessible to anyone else! How absurd... but was it a clue of some kind? This was the second time that they had found two parallel stories inside a safe, and each time, L. V. had been the victor in the alternate story.

"I imagine that whoever wrote these riddles thinks a great deal of you, Mr. Ford-Seaton," said Walter, drily.

---

Regardless of who actually opened the compass lock, the safe inside was entirely different from any they had seen before. Behind the paper bearing the two stories was a second taped note and a microphone speaker. Some of the text on the note was blurred, but the following could be made out:

Posted Image

"Maybe we ought to look at the records again," suggested Ocean. The group gathered around the box of records as Samuel wheeled a phonograph into the room. The singles in the box were, from front to back:

* "Kaze wo Atsumete"
* "I've Got Dreams to Remember"
* "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic"
* "Suspicious Minds"
* "Hey Jude"
* "Amor, No Gracias"
* "People Get Ready"
* "There Are Bad Times Just around the Corner"
* "Rhapsody in Blue"
* "Superstition"
* *Respect"
* "Breaking Up Is Hard to Do"
* "Take on Me"
* "The Riddle"
* "Mamma Said"
* "Here I Go Again"
* "Twilight"
* "Ruby Tuesday"

The guests pooled their musical knowledge and considered the problem carefully.

(Batsheva and Walter's 'Meet the Pieces' segments will be posted later.)

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 06 January 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#39 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 05:11 PM

@ WoD why is it called "Meet the Pieces"?
The cake is a lie.

#40 Wilson

Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 06:27 PM

Spoiler for Maybe a bit.......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users