Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Witch's Epigraph Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#21 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:46 PM

^ Good point. I think the alchemy is relavent, because otherwise it's just too much of a coincidence. Why would it be included if it wasn't relavent?
The cake is a lie.

#22 Molly Mae

Molly Mae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3188 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:56 PM

^ Good point. I think the alchemy is relavent, because otherwise it's just too much of a coincidence. Why would it be included if it wasn't relavent?

I wouldn't put a red herring past WoD, but I do agree that the transformation might be important somehow.

I'll wait to hear from WoD before posting my next big thought on where the key might be hidden.

A recipe for honey-pickled apples

Awards:

Bonanova Gold Star

Spoiler for Molly's Rules to Live By

#23 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

I wouldn't put a red herring past WoD

Neither would I, but we should look into it.
The cake is a lie.

#24 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:14 AM

Don't give him any ideas. :)
The cake is a lie.

#25 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 12:15 AM

Yay, I'm now officially an "advanced member"! :)
The cake is a lie.

#26 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4750 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

not much to add but wanted to echo Mo Ma's kudos and thanks to WOD and also welcome him back. new years and birth days back to back? epic as well I hope.

thinking maybe the chemical abbreviations (au,ga,ga,ag,cu,au,ga,au,ga) might be used in solving the string riddle but have not gotten anywhere with them. Electrum is the only thing i've found that maybe contains all four elements but dont see how that might relate to a toy or model train thingie where some kind of key could be. cant help but to keep at it. most intriguing.

#27 SeaCalMaster

SeaCalMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:36 AM

This was so awesome, I created an account just to post on it. Anyway, the key is in
Spoiler for

I'm still not sure about the second part; I'm not quite sure if the colors are significant at all.

Edited by SeaCalMaster, 04 January 2012 - 01:38 AM.

#28 Morningstar

Morningstar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:41 AM

Wow, sea, and welcome to the Den! Hope you like it!
The cake is a lie.

#29 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:26 AM

(Thank you all for the encouraging words!)

Prior to the opening of the safe:

Mark was a thorough boy, and clever at that. "It could be lots of steps," he said, confidently. "You can jump up to the 38th step or down to it."

"You should look," said Kenichi. "How many steps does the staircase have?"

"Oh." Mark promptly corrected his answer, and presented the three numbers with pride. Meanwhile, the other guests had gotten significantly further in finding the location of the key. L. V. seemed to have an advantage on the final step, owing to his experience with DNA, but there was someone even more prepared to tackle the final translation than him. Professor Otto Rinaldi, fruit fly geneticist and meddler, had all 64 codons memorized.

"Look," he said, his voice calm, but with the slight quaver of age, "The proteins that run our cells, they're all made by translating mRNA. The mRNA gets translated in groups of three "letters." We call those groups codons. First codon's always AUG, the start codon. Every time a codon gets read, a new amino acid gets put on the protein.

This codes for methionine, arginine, serine, tyrosine, glutamate... we abbreviate those MRSYE."

But the toys Mrs. Ye was watching over were a motley assortment of knickknacks and playthings, and they could hardly expect to break open every one. Surely there was a final clue in that sequence to help them narrow it down further!

Kenichi squinted at the explanation that Otto had written on paper. "That's 5 amino acids. 3 letters each. But we had 9 elements, 2 letters each. Doesn't "MRSYE" leave us short?"

"No, no, no," said Otto, "that's not how it works. See, the last codon, UGA..."

----

Meet the Pieces: (Part 4 of Many)

Otto Rinaldi

Profession: Professor emeritus

Quote:"I like it when they put up 'Do Not Enter' signs. They tell me where the interesting things are."

Background: A fruit fly geneticist of considerable renown, Professor Rinaldi was born in Florence, Italy, amid the tumult of World War II. He never knew his father, who died when his submarine was destroyed by Allied forces, but his family managed to escape with enough of their fortune to establish themselves after the war. Perpetually curious, Otto worked his way through university and become a classical geneticist, an expert on both fruit fly development and practical jokes. In his spare time, he enjoys reading, playing the flute, and painting.

Sample riddle: Shortly before one of the Club's sumptuous dinners, Otto was snooping around the back halls, when he heard Jaime LaSalle, the chef, muttering to himself. "Coulda sworn I bought five loaves," Jaime was saying. "We've got five tables and need one each... shoot! Better tell Celia."

As LaSalle left, Dr. Rinaldi slipped in behind him, washed his hands, then worked quickly and dextrously with the bread and a kitchen knife. When he was done, he absently picked up an end piece, gnawing on it as he left.

Upon returning, LaSalle was perplexed to find the bread in the following arrangement:

Posted Image

It appeared to be five loaves, give or take a little bit here and there, but how many loaves did the chef have before Otto's meddling?

---

(Molly Mae's answer to the safe puzzle will be addressed once the key has been found!)

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 04 January 2012 - 07:31 AM.

#30 TheChad

TheChad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:58 AM

One again the loaf one is really easy (in my opinion)
Spoiler for

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users