Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Witch's Epigraph Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#161 TheChad

TheChad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:31 AM

SeaCal always seems to post before me.
Perhaps we should investigate the type of lock on the door.
There are some that require a key to both lock and unlock the door, some require a turn of a deadbolt (which can only be done when the door is closed), and there are some door locks that can be locked and then closed (locks on the handles, like in bathrooms).

#162 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

(A lot of you are on the right track, but the actual method seems to elude you. In any case, I confirmed the plausibility of this trick myself.)

rvc113 didn't notice that the boy's attack had restored his rose, and so his truth was not made into a strike in blue. Yet for some reason, the Witch jumped a little on hearing it. Of course, the Witch gave no such reaction to Aziraphael's statement, as the 'pencil and eraser' guess had already taken off half the rose and could do no further damage on its own.

The next attack came from plainglazed:

Spoiler for A clever swipe

SeaCalMaster made the next move:

Spoiler for Interesting thoughts

(Edit:

If rvc113's words provoked some defensiveness in the Witch, TheChad's provoked even more.)

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 19 January 2012 - 08:52 AM.

#163 TheChad

TheChad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:40 AM

See, if the lock is like the common bathroom lock, there is a hole in it what an object can be inserted (I usually use a wire coat hanger, but a pencil is a possibility) to 'push out' the locking mechanism and unlock the door. This is to prevent people from locking themselves in the bathroom where accidents can occur.

EDIT: I don't think the key was ever confirmed as a 'key' like we might imagine.
Any object can be considered a 'key' if it opens the lock. We know that it is a material object, but no confirmation that it is traditional key shape.
In my above scenario a pencil could be considered a 'key' for unlocking the door.

Edited by TheChad, 19 January 2012 - 09:42 AM.

#164 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:47 AM

"Something about this really bugs me," said the boy, as he listened to the speculation. "Why would anybody mess around with the door? Couldn't they have just walked in and stolen the ribbon BEFORE the door was locked? Why does it need to look like a perfect locked room?" He thought about what he knew from that night, then swung with all his might...

"The thief couldn't get into the room until after the librarian locked up for the evening!"

CRASH. The Witch caught his blade and twisted it to the side, then swiped off his rose.

"Not only could the thief enter the room before the door was locked... the thief actually did! However, they chose not to steal the ribbon at that time."

#165 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

(This one's turning out to be much more of a challenge than I thought it would be! To reply to TheChad more properly:)

"Details of the lock?" said the Witch, gamely. "Very well! I'll supply them in red!"

The cylinder for the door lock was mounted in the outside handle, where "outside" is the direction leading out of the room where Dudeney was.

No deadbolt was present.

For fire safety reasons, the door handle would still turn from the inside even if the door was locked. However, this was not necessary for our culprit's plan!

The librarian held an ordinary, physical key. Turning that key in the lock would lock or unlock the door.

Let us go further: nobody picked the lock! This includes pushing an object through a hole in the doorknob in order to unlock it!

As nobody picked the lock, only using a key in the manner described above counts as "locking the door" or "unlocking the door" for the purpose of the Red Truth. For example, "nailing the door shut" would not count as locking it!

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 19 January 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#166 rvc113

rvc113

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

ok I believe this my turn

Spoiler for

#167 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

EDIT: Answer removed as I hadn't read the WoD comments above.
I agree with rvc113 for the most part, but i believe we're missing something...

Spoiler for

Edited by Aziraphael, 19 January 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#168 Wilson

Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

"Passing by the newly installed ticket booth, through the foyer, and finally into the study,
the Witch opened a door and was greeted at once by Dudeney, ever the loyal butler."

Just thinking in print, not going out of turn.

Spoiler for 4

#169 Wilson

Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:07 PM

Spoiler for Have a go with....

#170 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Spoiler for Have a go with....

WoD has already classified the nature of the Study (which we have walked into ourselves).It must be a room, it has a door, a handle, a lock, and being as Dudeney is a physical prescence, he couldn't be contained within your suggestion.
However, it does occur that the passage you mention could imply

Spoiler for containing Dudeney

Edited by Aziraphael, 19 January 2012 - 12:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users