Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Witch's Epigraph Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#131 SeaCalMaster

SeaCalMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:50 AM

Hmm...
Spoiler for

Edit: This is wrong. I've figured it out. I'll wait a bit before posting, though.

Edited by SeaCalMaster, 16 January 2012 - 12:52 AM.

#132 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:57 AM

I reread the section about the words in the decalogue and it says that it may come in handy later. I'm having trouble figuring out which words in the decalogue the answer came from though. It might be irrelevant but I'd like to know anyway. So if someone can explain that to me. . .

Edited by Thalia, 16 January 2012 - 12:57 AM.

Come check out Mafia in the Games Forum
Trainer's Manual Mafia XII: Bugs Mafia is in signups
Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

#133 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Spoiler for Thalia's questions

The Human Side was getting perilously close. SeaCalMaster made another slash, but didn't follow through, as if he realized midway into the movement that he would miss:

Spoiler for A halted attack.

To recover the roses of the other players, and in other to stay in the game, the boy made a quick sally using one of rvc113's ideas:

Spoiler for Never stop guessing

#134 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:41 AM

How about this? (Wild stab in the dark, perhaps)
Spoiler for

Edited by Aziraphael, 16 January 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#135 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:18 AM

Spoiler for Questions and clarification

Spoiler for Here's my take... for what it's worth, Thalia

#136 SeaCalMaster

SeaCalMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 11:22 AM

How about this? (Wild stab in the dark, perhaps)

Spoiler for

Yep, that's what I had.
Spoiler for A few things that confirm it:

Of course, we still don't know who took the ribbon or why.

#137 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 12:01 PM

If that was a "wild stab in the dark," Aziraphael was a true blind fencer.

(Music)

Spoiler for Aziraphael's attack

"Ah!" cried the Witch, as the swipe took off most of the rose's remaining petals. "When you make a move like that, use an exclamation point!"

Spoiler for From Dudeney's introduction, linked in the second post of this thread as a 'final challenge':

The Witch parried as best as could be managed, but multiple humans had already begun to close in.

Spoiler for A team effort

Even so, there was still a way to parry Aziraphael...

Spoiler for Riposte, counter-riposte

Blades clashed and clashed again.

Spoiler for Counter-counter-riposte, counter-counter-counter-riposte!

Another effective Blue Truth, even if the final word was a hedge. "Perhaps?!" sneered the Witch. "Perhaps?! Then tell me this... tell me this... The door was locked! The window was locked! And yet Dudeney's remains were there, on the floor! Explain!"

Spoiler for Is this the last cut?

The Witch had no counter. The red blade vanished. Was this truly how Dudeney would be captured? With a Blue Truth ending in an ellipsis?

"Annabel," said Dudeney, gently, "I waited for a long time, and you came back. That is enough. Let me return to my old self."

But Miss Cox would not hear of such defeatism. "Unacceptable! There is still a move the Witch side can make. Let's go!"

Could it be...? The Sapphire Witch stared. To make this move would put not only Miss Cox at risk of capture, but also Rathvon, her constant companion! And the Humans would be wiser to the tricks now.

"I don't like dealing with things that can't be taken back," said Rathvon, "but I'm with her to the end. As Sis says... let's go."

(What, over the top? That's a Witch's job!)

Slowly, the Witch drew the blade of Red Truth again, and laughed a chilling laugh that rose to the rafters.

The room darkened. Thunder rang out. Wind chimes jingled. In the distance, a wolf howled.

"Ahaha!

Ahahahahaha!

This chapter contained over a dozen puzzles, some with multiple solutions. You never even found the second route for the train!

At the end of such an involved chapter, did you truly think the 'boss fight' would be settled easily?

Let me show you what happened when the librarian locked up that night. Then you can tell me this: how did that ribbon disappear?"

The petals of the Witch's rose began to regrow, one by one! It was no longer as full as it once was, but there was surely something there.

"Dudeney, reconstruct the scene!"

(To be concluded...)

(Well done, everybody! I hope this has been as fun on your end as it's been on mine!

I'll be posting the final stage of the Duel tomorrow evening, most likely. In the meantime, feel free to search for the second solution to the train puzzle. Of course, it uses the same clues. However, in this answer, the order of stations does not depend on the order in which the "pieces" were introduced.)

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 16 January 2012 - 12:06 PM.

#138 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Awesome! Cracking job, guys! ../../../public/style_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif
Thalia:
Spoiler for help if you want it:

SeaCalMaster:

Yep, that's what I had.

Spoiler for A few things that confirm it:
Of course, we still don't know who took the ribbon or why.

Spoiler for

#139 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Incidentally, something I picked up on earlier:
Spoiler for the origin of Rathvon:

Spoiler for the origin of Miss Cox:

Edited by Aziraphael, 16 January 2012 - 01:36 PM.

#140 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 01:54 PM

WoD; I doff my cap at your dedication to multi-layering this whole experience! *bows*

Spoiler for origins of Dudeney:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users