Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Witch's Epigraph Chapter 1: The Room of Six Locks

• Please log in to reply
231 replies to this topic

#121 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:13 AM

Spoiler for Out-of-character comments on unsolved riddles

#122 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:17 AM

As they started to walk back, L.V. couldn't resist the chance to make a snide comment. "Spooky," he said. "Maybe we'll bump into Mom on the way back." Ocean rolled her eyes, and before Lana could chide both of them for their flippancy, the librarian noticed something awry. They were passing the Study, which had a glass window in its door, and as she shone her flashlight through...

Dudeney was there, on the floor, motionless.

Hurriedly, she unlocked the door and opened it; there was no other way in, save that door. She knelt on the chilly tile floor, where Dudeney had fallen, and looked over the servant's remains. Perhaps the wound was not too severe...?

But on closer inspection, that would have been a truly optimistic assessment. The sight was ugly. Dudeney had been literally split wide open, innards exposed, bones broken. Lana jumped a little as Ocean spoke from behind her. "This is awful," she said. But even as she said that, Ocean's keen eye spotted something strange.

The ribbon that Dudeney normally wore was gone. It had been stolen.

Spoiler for Oh well. Here goes nothing

Come check out Mafia in the Games Forum
Trainer's Manual Mafia XII: Bugs Mafia is in signups
Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

#123 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

This Human had turned the board around entirely. Instead of focusing on locks, rooms, or a killer, Thalia was focusing upon the innocent victim. Was this the way to defeat a Witch? The Blue Truth scythed through the air with a whirr, and the Witch only narrowly managed to turn it aside with a wild flurry of swipes and parries, losing a several petals off the red rose in the process:

Spoiler for A Clash of Truths

Finally, a parry that could contradict one of Thalia's statements occurred to the Sapphire Witch. Maintaining a defensive posture, the Witch glanced over at Dudeney, as if to ask, "Should I make such a dishonorable move?" And in the end, the Witch decided not to.

Thus, they were doubly shocked at the emergence of their observer, the same one who had needled the Sapphire Witch into repeating Thalia's lists in Red. It was the Witch of Secrets, who smiled blandly as she approached. If the Sapphire Witch had been born in imitation of one who knew both kindness and cruelty, the Witch of Secrets drew from a different source altogether.

"Lady Thalassa," said the Sapphire Witch, knowing Thalia couldn't strike twice in a row. "I hope I haven't -"

"Stop embarrassing yourself. This is how you deal with humans." The Witch of Secrets snapped her fingers, and time stopped. She snapped again, and time stepped backwards in obedience. As Thalia's Blue Truth came down, the Witch of Secrets struck back with a red scythe blade.

Spoiler for A Dishonorable Move

Even if Thalia had a riposte in mind, there was no time to form it before the scythe struck the rose off her shoulder. As if in afterthought, the Witch of Secrets turned to SeaCalMaster and contemptuously swiped off his rose as well:

"No human being hid in that room. However, a demon did. Obviously, Dudeney was slain by a demon."

Then, satisfied with her interference, the Witch of Secrets bowed, turned to the Sapphire Witch, and brightly remarked, "If you step out of line, I'll make you suffer." Then she vanished, leaving the threat - no, the confirmed fact - hanging in the air.

Ms. Cox was the first to find her voice. "Was that move against Thalia even legal?!"

The Sapphire Witch sighed. "Technically, yes. I apologize for the disturbance. Please, let us continue to a resolution, whatever that may be." Even if the red rose had lost a few petals, it was still largely intact.

---

(Both Thalia and SeaCalMaster have temporarily lost their roses; somebody else must move first.)

Spoiler for Pointless outtakes

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 15 January 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#124 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4737 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

Spoiler for rejuvinating the patient Thalia (and SMC)

EDIT: and here's one of the unsolved riddles which is still giving me fits.

Edited by plainglazed, 15 January 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#125 Wilson

Wilson

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:09 PM

Spoiler for Murder?

#126 rvc113

rvc113

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:58 PM

I know this is not my turn but maybe someone can use this.

Spoiler for

Edited by rvc113, 15 January 2012 - 10:01 PM.

#127 rvc113

rvc113

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Spoiler for

#128 SeaCalMaster

SeaCalMaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:16 PM

Not a guess, but something I think we should be considering: How was Dudeney killed? We haven't found a weapon or anything.

#129 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

(plainglazed: Which riddle in that post is problematic? The image's riddle was solved entirely, and the hidden message in the records was found.)

As soon as plainglazed formed an elegant Blue Truth and attacked, Thalia and SeaCalMaster's roses reformed. But this attack was met almost casually, with a backhand parry-riposte that tapped the blade aside and knocked the rose off his shoulder:

Spoiler for A clever guess.

After Thalia's devastating attack, the Sapphire Witch would give the humans no quarter. Focusing on the weakest point of Wilson's Blue Truth seemed best:

Spoiler for Did Dudeney remove the ribbon?

rvc113 couldn't strike, but theorized openly in the hope of giving someone an advantage. And indeed, the boy at the head of the table heard the references to earlier posts.

"What if the answer we need is somewhere hidden in the other pages?" said the boy. He drew a sword of Blue Truth and advanced forward carefully:

This is a totally fair riddle. All the clues we need are in this chapter, and you didn't hide any from us.

This attack wasn't even aimed directly at the mystery, but the Witch instinctively parried and knocked off the boy's rose before seeing the trap.

There are clues you may require in one place in the Prologue, but that place has been indicated more than once in this Chapter. If you find it, its relevance is obvious.

The roses on the other guests reappeared, but the boy continued, this time with a different strategy.

"Sphinx's Second: Any fair riddle must contain the information needed to solve it!" said the boy. "Some people who just got here wouldn't have seen those clues, and maybe they didn't click on those links!"

"Ha!" said the Witch. "I have done what I must to fulfill the demands of fairness. Why don't you share? Do you not trust these strangers with our secrets?"

The boy ignored the last question and addressed the other guests "If any of you know what the Witch is talking about, somebody ought to share it. It must have something to do with either the study or Dudeney."

Edited by WitchOfDoubt, 15 January 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#130 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 11:59 PM

Spoiler for A Clash of Truths

Are you actually asking or is that just part of the story? I was just thinking about the stuff in the post you linked me to. :duh: I do need to reread that decalogue though. Can someone explain to me what exactly it was that Molly found in the decalogue earlier?

Edited by Thalia, 16 January 2012 - 12:01 AM.

Come check out Mafia in the Games Forum
Trainer's Manual Mafia XII: Bugs Mafia is in signups
Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users