Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#11 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:42 AM

"and the others will vote on it" vs "If half or more of the total pirates alive"
So does the pirate giving the proposal vote?

Assuming he does.... (e.g., the first pirate only needs 2 other votes to have the first proposal taken).
Spoiler for two answers?

Assuming he does not have a vote.....(the first pirate needs 3 votes to live...and he doesn't get a vote)
Spoiler for answer

Okay...how about if a pirate doesn't get a gold piece he would rather be dead (and the pirate giving the proposal gets a vote, and pirates kill unless given an incentive not to)
Spoiler for give me gold or give me death!

What other combination of assumptions might give interesting results?

Am I anywhere close Noct?

Edited by EventHorizon, 22 March 2008 - 01:43 AM.

#12 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:43 AM

Yes sorry if I wasn't clear. The proposer gets to vote as well, at least in the original puzzle I had in mind.

Edited by Noct, 22 March 2008 - 01:47 AM.

#13 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 02:17 AM

"and the others will vote on it" vs "If half or more of the total pirates alive"
So does the pirate giving the proposal vote?

Assuming he does.... (e.g., the first pirate only needs 2 other votes to have the first proposal taken).

Spoiler for two answers?

This is the answer i was looking for. Nice job!

Now, what if we switch the voting rules thusly:

If more than half vote against, the proposer will die.

If half or more vote for, then the proposition gets accepted and they go their separate ways.

Does this affect the answer? If so, how?

(also, i meant this in the original post but did not state it: A pirate would rather get 0 gold than die)

Edited by Noct, 22 March 2008 - 02:24 AM.

#14 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:03 AM

Spoiler for my proposal

But if I were C, I would vote against it, because if I do that kills 5. And can 4 be easily killed? And if so, can't I get 100 pieces instead of 50?
So if I were A, I wouldn't propose this, because I could end up dead.

Think about this
Spoiler for explanation

Edited by Noct, 22 March 2008 - 11:13 AM.

#15 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:14 AM

By 5 and 4 i meant A and B

#16 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 01:26 AM

But if I were C, I would vote against it, because if I do that kills A. And can B be easily killed? And if so, can't I get 100 pieces instead of 50?
So if I were A, I wouldn't propose this, because I could end up dead.

If it ever gets to C, he will get 100 pieces because if D rejects it, he will die. So C can be sure that D will support him and C will get 100. So C's top priority is to get it to himself. Since your proposal doesn't give any for to D or E, they will vote to kill A, as it does not cause a situation in which they will die. When it gets to B's turn, all it takes is two people to kill him. C will definitely vote in favor of killing B, because of the above. How are you proposing B will divide it up?

In either case, A has died. Which is not something he wants to do, and something he should be able to avoid if he plays his cards right.

If A is killed, then you can 'loosely' say that B will also be killed ... b/c the challenge of both of them is the same -- need to get two votes for their proposal to be accepted. I found it interesting that if you were C, you would reject my proposal. Let me list some of the behavior of the pirates given by the OP.
- they are greedy ... they want to have as much treasure as possible (without risking their life).
- their life is more important than the treasure they get.
- the rivalry between the pirates is pure treasure oriented (not directly state, but no other reason for killings given either).

Having said that, isn't C risking his life for proposing all the treasure to be given to him??? Of course E is going to say no ... so the ball will be on D's court. From what I saw your argument is D will vote for yes b/c he doesn't want to risk his life. But he (D) is always on the safe side if he proposes the treasure be given to E. Since E is greedy there is nothing else to ask if he gets all the treasure. Someone may argue that E could reject the proposal in which case D will get all the treasure, but then executed. At the end of the day, E will get all the treasure. But he had all the treasure without kill D as well....

I think D will vote for no, and then have fun watching a greedy pirate being killed ... ya, that is C.
So, I believe my proposal is better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users