Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:06 PM

There are 5 pirates on an island with 100 pieces of treasure (of equal weight/value, so no piece is better than any of the others).

They are trying to divide up the treasure in a way that is fair, so they go from oldest to youngest, offering proposals. The oldest pirate will go first and propose how to divide up the treasure, and the others will vote on it. If half or more of the total pirates alive vote against the proposal, the oldest will be killed, and the second oldest will then come up with a proposal that the others will vote on.

If more than half votes in favor of the proposal, they will divide up the treasure according to the proposal, and go their separate ways.

Assuming all of the pirates are extremely smart, and they all want to live, how will the treasure be divided up?

#2 Lausus

Lausus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:10 PM

Each pirate will get 20 pieces, so they can all live. Or each pirate will try to shoot another pirate and the last one standing gets it all.

#3 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:12 PM

Sorry let me add another condition I forgot to mention. All pirates are greedy and want as much treasure as possible, yet the will to personally live overrides this. They don't care if they are voting on someone else that will die, but they don't want to die themselves.

Also, please put your response in a spoiler... Kind of late now since it was first response... Didn't think I needed to say that.

Edited by Noct, 21 March 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#4 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:43 PM

Spoiler for my proposal

#5 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:54 PM

Spoiler for my answer

Spoiler for slight correction

Edited by itachi-san, 21 March 2008 - 09:56 PM.

#6 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 09:58 PM

Spoiler for my answer

Just a response to your answer though...

Spoiler for ...

#7 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:05 PM

Spoiler for slight correction

how about ....
Spoiler for my comments

#8 sunrise

sunrise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:22 PM

solved this last year. can't recall the solution but remember the method :)
Spoiler for a key

#9 new guest

new guest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:34 AM

arrgh...This question is easy!

Spoiler for easy answer

:mad:

#10 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:39 AM

arrgh...This question is easy!

Spoiler for easy answer

:mad:

You need to re read the puzzle and amendment.You didn't get the puzzle at all. It states that if half opposes it, they die. So in your scenario the second would die. Also I doubt the first 3 would so easily let themselves be killed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users