Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

The Witch's Epigraph: Prologue

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 odaatmo

odaatmo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

Is the numeric combination 2711 and the password filtering?
two men - seven people - 11 days - all prime numbers
guests filtering in

#22 WitchOfDoubt

WitchOfDoubt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:25 AM

More than one of the guests had hit upon the solution to the numerical safe puzzle. Even someone who was otherwise incorrect was able to see that 7 was part of it! But it took a bit more work to find an answer to the second puzzle that made sense. Finally, someone muttered a word that would, indeed, fit all the criteria of the puzzle. But, for whatever reason, they hesitated to put it forward as the real answer with any confidence - perhaps they had skipped a step and jumped to a conclusion.

Meanwhile, Ocean Zweidler, one of the youngest members of the club, hit on the same answer. "You know," she said to the doorman, who watched as each participant tried out the safe, "this puzzle was somewhat inequitable, wasn't it? It should've been much easier had I ever seen that men's room light in person."

"My apologies. But it was fair," said Samuel, who had been given first dibs at the puzzle. "You got all the clues you needed. See? Right there on the page, if you squint a little, maybe get a magnifier, use your little Internet phone if you need to do the research... it wasn't what we call a 'self-descriptive' answer at all, was it? Once you got it from the clues, you knew it."

Ocean shrugged (she had a good eye for colors, so it hardly bothered her) and retrieved a keycard reserved in her name from the safe. "Not complaining! When's dinner?"

Meet the Pieces (Part One of Many)

Ocean Zweidler

Profession: Author

Quote: "My Grandma Margareta made scarecrows. When I was a girl, my parents showed me some of the faces she gave them - laughing, smiling, crying... I still remember hearing them! It was Grandma who taught me what a writer does.

My stories are puzzles. A little dry, a little silly, filled with straw people. But I prop them up on a stick and put faces on them, and my readers create the rest for themselves."

Background: The daughter of a neuroscientist and a chef, Ocean is the author of the bestselling Vanishing Island series of mystery novels. As a relatively recent initiate to the club, she specializes in folkloric riddles and Victorian letterplay. She also has a working knowledge of both English and German, acquired during her childhood in the town of Bernkastel-Kues.

Random Fact: Once, after receiving a negative review, she anonymously tricked the police into putting a highly inconvenient barricade around the reviewer's house.

Sample Riddle: As Ocean waited for the rest of the guests to finish cracking the first two locks, she pulled out a pencil and penned a simple challenge to the others to kill the time.

On paper or tablets from man or Divine,

I am made of ten parts, and yet only of nine.

#23 Thalia

Thalia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2910 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:38 AM

Spoiler for

Come check out Mafia in the Games Forum
Trainer's Manual Mafia XII: Bugs Mafia is in signups
Other games:
The Green Glass Doors
Telephone

#24 TheChad

TheChad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:05 AM

Here's my guess
Spoiler for

#25 Aziraphael

Aziraphael

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

Slightly overthinking this, maybe, but here's my guess:

Spoiler for

#26 plainglazed

plainglazed

Abuse of PoWers

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4756 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:35 PM

Nice puzzle WitchOfDoubt

Spoiler for comments

#27 rvc113

rvc113

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

my answers are:
Spoiler for

#28 BobbyGo

BobbyGo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

Spoiler for I think

#29 revathiest

revathiest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Spoiler for new guess

Edited by revathiest, 22 December 2011 - 05:32 PM.

#30 revathiest

revathiest

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 05:49 PM

I was going to edit my last post, but I got to it too late.

Spoiler for new guess

I wanted to offer my explanation
Spoiler for explanation

Edited by revathiest, 22 December 2011 - 05:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users