Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Arjit Saraswat

Arjit Saraswat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:54 AM

A very intelligent king protected his treasure by giving the keys to the locks of the treasure to his vizier and 4 slaves in such a way that vizier could open the treasure if he was with any of the slaves , and the slaves could open the treasure if 3 of them worked together.
How many locks do the treasure have?

#2 Arjit Saraswat

Arjit Saraswat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:07 AM

i myself have found the answer..... but i would like someone giving a general solution

#3 Silas Nunnery

Silas Nunnery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:00 AM

This is my solution...
Spoiler for The impossible riddle!!!

Edited by Silas Nunnery, 28 November 2011 - 08:04 AM.

#4 mickjc75

mickjc75

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

Spoiler for solution

#5 mickjc75

mickjc75

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:55 AM

i myself have found the answer..... but i would like someone giving a general solution

Hmm well I'm not sure how general this is, but this is how I found it.. (maybe the same way as you?)
Spoiler for method

#6 mickjc75

mickjc75

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Hmm well I'm not sure how general this is, but this is how I found it.. (maybe the same way as you?)

Spoiler for method

Spoiler for correction

#7 Anand Rahul

Anand Rahul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 02:13 PM

4 locks.. the vazir has 3 keys.. the forth key is common to all the slaves.. the 3 keys which are with vazir has its copy distributed among the 4 slaves.. so 3 slaves can open it and vazir can open it with any of the slave.. :)

#8 thoughtfulfellow

thoughtfulfellow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

Spoiler for solution

You have the right idea but one flaw.
Spoiler for error is

#9 thoughtfulfellow

thoughtfulfellow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:43 PM

4 locks.. the vazir has 3 keys.. the forth key is common to all the slaves.. the 3 keys which are with vazir has its copy distributed among the 4 slaves.. so 3 slaves can open it and vazir can open it with any of the slave.. :)

From my interpretation of your problem, at least three slaves should be required to open the treasure. How are you going to distribute 3 keys among four slaves so any three will have a full set but no two will have a full set? If your answer is to give slaves 1, 2 and 3 a key each and not give any keys to slave 4, then you have changed the problem since slaves 4 with any other 2 could not open the treasure.

#10 Arjit Saraswat

Arjit Saraswat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

From my interpretation of your problem, at least three slaves should be required to open the treasure. How are you going to distribute 3 keys among four slaves so any three will have a full set but no two will have a full set? If your answer is to give slaves 1, 2 and 3 a key each and not give any keys to slave 4, then you have changed the problem since slaves 4 with any other 2 could not open the treasure.

you are completely right..... in fact you stole my words....
i'ld like to hear the answer from you......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users