Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Touch

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
53 replies to this topic

#31 shadow

shadow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 11:38 PM

Looks like touch2solution.gif shows 7 matchsticks (pencils). Pretty impressive.

If you look closely at the Touch2Solution you will see that the "RED" and the "LIGHT BLUE" match are "NOT TOUCHING"! The Thickness or mass of the "DARK BLUE" match is seperating them from touching. It may Appear that they are in contact from an ariel view, however it is obvious that anything with mass is going to seperate 2 objects if it is between them.

Tell me what you think about my findings. I'm open for debate!

it is touching... u just need 2 look at it closly

#32 saurabh.varshney

saurabh.varshney

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:05 PM

How about this one????

Attached Files

#33 sotadas

sotadas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 07:50 PM

How about this one????

There is no way the three matches that cross in the center are touching each other...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have another solution (sorry, I don't have an image, so I made use of characters):

Make two groups with three matches each. Arrange the matches in each group like this:

/|\ /|\

Make sure the right and left matches in each group are touching each other, by their heads. In order to allow this, the centered one must be placed a little bit lower down.
Then rotate one of the groups 90 degrees and place it right above the other one.

#34 infomaniac.nick

infomaniac.nick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 02:59 PM

There is no way the three matches that cross in the center are touching each other...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have another solution (sorry, I don't have an image, so I made use of characters):

Make two groups with three matches each. Arrange the matches in each group like this:

/|\ /|\

Make sure the right and left matches in each group are touching each other, by their heads. In order to allow this, the centered one must be placed a little bit lower down.
Then rotate one of the groups 90 degrees and place it right above the other one.

Yes, finally someone got it! :ph34r:

#35 desertdude

desertdude

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2008 - 06:32 PM

What about this

nope 1 mach only touches 2 other matches

#36 heatherlovesjade

heatherlovesjade

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

make a star - have all the ends of the matches touch

#37 bambam221

bambam221

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 March 2008 - 12:40 AM

/ | \\
/ | \\ <these should be touching as well
---| <bottom layer top layer> \\
\ | so that
\ | they cross all sticks

/ =1 stick
/ |
|
|=1 stick \ \
--- = 1 stick | \ \ = 1 stick
| \= \
1 stick
\
\=1 stick

sorry about the crude diagram...hope you can see what I do

P.S. the angle made by the far left outside sticks is supposed to be a little less extreme.

#38 bambam221

bambam221

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

/ | \\
/ | \\ <these should be touching as well
---| <bottom layer top layer> \\
\ | so that
\ | they cross all sticks

/ =1 stick
/ |
|
|=1 stick \ \
--- = 1 stick | \ \ = 1 stick
| \= \
1 stick
\
\=1 stick

sorry about the crude diagram...hope you can see what I do

P.S. the angle made by the far left outside sticks is supposed to be a little less extreme.

Sorry. It wasn't supposed to look like that...When i typed it, the spaces deleted or something. Forget I even said that

#39 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

Sorry. It wasn't supposed to look like that...When i typed it, the spaces deleted or something. Forget I even said that

draw a simple picture in paint and attach it in your post

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#40 sunshipballoons

sunshipballoons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 09 April 2008 - 11:17 PM

In your picture, the yellow and green pencil cannot be touching the orange due to the angle of the pencils with one end on the table and the other resting on the purple pencil. This angle would prevent them from actually touching the orange pencil. In a top down view, they appear to be touching, but if you took a look from the side, you would find a small gap between the pencils.

True, but if you lifted the pencils that are laying on the ground, that would take care of this problem. But then it would be hard to take the photo.

Anybody else agree that the Star of David (two criss-crossed triangles of three matches each) does work? I'm pretty sure it does.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users