Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

6x4 Rectangle

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
45 replies to this topic

#11 =Cadet Zemm=

=Cadet Zemm=

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:01 AM

I'm sorry, perhaps geometry isn't my thing, but I'm not seeing how this slice makes the desired rectangle, could someone post the compleated 4x6 grid as made bythis slice?

I'm with Incognitum, the 4x6 grid shown in the solution isn't really a rectangle, as far as I understood the definition of a rectangle anyway. Doesn't a rectangle have to have 4 right angles (and thus 4 sides)? The solution only has two right angle and actually has 6 sides.

#12 =Cadet Zemm=

=Cadet Zemm=

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 02:12 AM

I'm sorry, perhaps geometry isn't my thing, but I'm not seeing how this slice makes the desired rectangle, could someone post the compleated 4x6 grid as made bythis slice?

I'm with Incognitum, the 4x6 grid shown in the solution isn't really a rectangle, as far as I understood the definition of a rectangle anyway. Doesn't a rectangle have to have 4 right angles (and thus 4 sides)? The solution only has two right angle and actually has 6 sides.

I'm a little slow on the uptake... the solution is just displaying the slices.... here they are put together as a rectangle:
Posted Image

#13 angellic

angellic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 10:00 PM

the solution

#14 Spec1alGift

Spec1alGift

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 01:43 AM

Wouldn't it be easier to show the solution like this:
Posted Image

I dont Think So Cuz its would be 4X9 then.... XD

#15 mathemagister

mathemagister

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 10:24 AM

I agree. It is easy to see that the top (without the red) will have 4 squares.

#16 Fritzer73

Fritzer73

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 06:32 PM

What bothers me about this puzzle is that none of the answers are actually rectangular... The instructions ask for a rectangle of 6X4 dimensions. However, every answer given thus far (including the official answer) is a hexagon...

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure a way to make a rectangle out of those squares...

#17 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 10:12 PM

What bothers me about this puzzle is that none of the answers are actually rectangular... The instructions ask for a rectangle of 6X4 dimensions. However, every answer given thus far (including the official answer) is a hexagon...

I spent a good deal of time trying to figure a way to make a rectangle out of those squares...

what is wrong with the sliced picture and rearranged pieces below?
6x4-solution.gif solution.jpg

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#18 irenezt

irenezt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 03:46 AM

The original says "Slice the picture into 2 sections"
I would draw a straight line from the upper left hand corner diagonally to the lower right hand corner.
That would make two sections "from which you could make a rectangle 6x4 squares."

#19 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Posted 05 September 2007 - 09:19 AM

The original says "Slice the picture into 2 sections"
I would draw a straight line from the upper left hand corner diagonally to the lower right hand corner.
That would make two sections "from which you could make a rectangle 6x4 squares."

pls post a picture how you would make the 6x4 squares rectangle from a diagonally sliced original image ... unless you meant that I should make the rectangle

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#20 mmburke

mmburke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 September 2007 - 02:32 AM

Only the jagged cut wll work, and it isn't exactly a "slice". A Slice implys a straight cut. the other soulutions are not 2 slices
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users