BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

itachi-san

Question

A hand in marriage?

Taken often, but never kept = "take your hand in marriage", but you only do it once. You don't continually succesfully ask someone to marry you, with one success you can't do it again unless you divorce but you didn't "keep" it then ;D

Never alone, have I wept = there has to be two people, obviously :P

I am stumped with this one. I have, however noticed that everyone seems to be guessing at only the 1st part of the riddle while leaving out the "never alone, have I wept" part. There are many things taken but not kept but the key is in the never Alone, have I Wept part, I think.

Nice try with 'an eye'

The saying 'an eye for an eye' doesn't usually include the word 'take', and I'd say that it usually isn't kept. Usually isn't never though. i.e. sometimes what's taken in revenge can be kept, particularly if the people were actually taking each other's eyes out :o

Eye works well with the second part though

Edited by itachi-san

Nice try with 'an eye'

The saying 'an eye for an eye' doesn't usually include the word 'take', and I'd say that it usually isn't kept. Usually isn't never though. i.e. sometimes what's taken in revenge can be kept, particularly if the people were actually taking each other's eyes out :o

Eye works well with the second part though

Fair enough....but the saying does actually say not to TAKE, "an eye for an eye". But you are right if one did actually take an eye he would have it to keep.

Still stumped..hehe

Edited by AugustWst

Just a little reinforcement on the 'eye' answer. For the second line, you would have to assume the person had both of their eyes. What if they got into one of those literal 'eye for an eye' ordeals? :)

HA! ok good point again :D. This is a great riddle. I think I might be going about it all wrong.