Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:16 AM

that would probably be right if each orientation possibility had equal probability....but that is not the case. Each of the 49 squares have equal probability. After a square is chosen, then each of it's orientation possibilities have equal probability.

What I meant was that each valid square orientation pair does not have equal probability.....just thought I would fix my horrible wording....

#22 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 03:25 AM

Spoiler for how did you weight the average?

Ah yes I'm sorry... I screwed up. I accidentally thought the 4 corners were all 1 instead of two 1's and two 1/2's, so I added on extra small amount which had to make me multiply 49 out to 441 to get a whole number numerator. Gah. I screwed up, I don't know what I was thinking. I had the numbers right but I misread my own handwriting when I was figuring out the averages. :P lol. To see exactly what I did wrong, pretend that the 1/2's adjacent the corners were 1's instead, that's what I read from my handwriting as I calculated the numbers (I did it all in my head), so yeah that came out to 328/441 (441 is 49*9). But yeah :D woops, sorry

the correct answers are then:

Spoiler for Answers (EventHorizon got em all right)

and the interesting thing about #1 and #2:

Spoiler for Interesting thing...

#23 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:14 AM

and the interesting thing about #1 and #2:

Spoiler for Interesting thing...

That is interesting...it makes me think that perhaps there is a very simple lateral thinking way of solving this puzzle.

I can't quite seem to figure out what it would be yet. I'll think about it more tomorrow...I should really work on a paper...but have been avoiding it a little too much. It seems I would much rather solve puzzles and watch my team lose (grr!) than work on my paper.

#24 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5840 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:08 AM

Spoiler for method for #1

Posted Image
I think these probabilities apply to a ruler with length 2, not length 3.
Hint: Imagine the ruler begins in the center of a square.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#25 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 05:41 PM

bonanova: Yes, 2 spaces long if you want to get picky, if it's from the center of one square to the center of the other, but we practically mean that it covers 3 spaces, the starting space, middle space, and end space. If it started at the middle of each square it would make it 2 spaces long then. If it started at the ends it would make it 3. It starts at the ends ;D and did you see that my 328/441 was incorrect, the chances are 33/49 for white and 16/49 for black (and 79/147 to land on the same color) :P

EventHorizon: yes that's what I was thinking. Maybe it's due to the fact that for a space that can reach less spaces, less spaces can reach that space too. I dunno, I'll think about it some more ;D good luck on your paper!

#26 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

still haven't thought of it...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users