BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

TMM VIII: Tom and Jerry Mafia

Tom's win condition was the other problem. First, it didn't really make sense. Why would Tom want to keep Jerry alive? Second, he could have just outed the bad guys right away. He also could use any role he wanted by using the redirect.

@Sak-C - I could have outed the baddies right away, but then I would have had zero chance for a solo victory. Trying to play in the spirit I was only going to do that as a last resort.

Maybe a condition that if Tom outs the baddies he gets mod-killed?

Personally, I thought it was clever to have it be the opposite of what people would expect. From a theme standpoint, maybe he wanted to keep Jerry alive so that he could eat him all by himself later (without having to share with anyone) :lol::P:ph34r: .

See "Tom and Jerry - The Night Before Christmas" and you will understand why Tom would want to keep Jerry alive. :D

It's the whole villain-hero relationship, the villain (Tom) doesn't want the hero (Jerry) to die as Jerry reinforces Tom's identity and Tom reinforces Jerry's. Factor in the Simone de Beauvoir notion of self and other and you'll see what I mean

...or I'm reading too much into it :P

See "Tom and Jerry - The Night Before Christmas" and you will understand why Tom would want to keep Jerry alive. :D

It's the whole villain-hero relationship, the villain (Tom) doesn't want the hero (Jerry) to die as Jerry reinforces Tom's identity and Tom reinforces Jerry's. Factor in the Simone de Beauvoir notion of self and other and you'll see what I mean

...or I'm reading too much into it :P

Much better reason than mine! (wanting to eat him)

Will you please stop complaining, Sak-C? Krist did a good job, especially given this was his first game. The goodies did an excellent job of working together. Smoth worked his role flawlessly. The game was balanced. You simply lost. Not due to poor baddie play or inactivity. Some bad luck N1 and goodie teamwork did you in.

Edited by maurice

The point of having Tom as an Indie and all that was to stir the game a little.

The only change I should have made was to actually keep Jerry alive until D3 so that the game lasts longer.

@smoth Thank you very much. I dig the new avatar too. :P

@can't-remember-who-said-I-don't-look-like-a-cat-anymore Yeah, it was a pretty tough decision for me, but I still have the cats on my profile!

Also, this was a very good game. I like your hints, cat. You're a lot better at subtle hints than I am, and i bet that in more experienced mafias a lot of the players will see right through mine. And in hindsight, those hints really were obvious. :duh:

Nicely played, smoth. I had no suspicion of you being Tom. I also like how Tom's WinCon is the exact opposite of what everyone expected. Although, personally, I think that made the game a bit easier for you because you also had all the goodies protecting Jerry from Tom. I also agree that Tom seemed a tad too powerful, but it was a very well hosted game, kris!

Smoth, no one knows what your win condition is, though. And you could out the baddies in a more discreet way. Since there were two RID Kills the second Night, you could have pulled it off. And since you knew that spy had been killed, you could have falsely claimed to be him, if needed.

They want to keep eachother alive to identify themselves?O_O So I guess Tom would save Jerry if he nearly fell over a cliff, right?

maurice, stop. This is the time after the game, in which we are free to praise or complain about whatever aspects of the game that we want. There is nothing wrong with me sayign that Tom was overpowered. I'm not the only one who even did so, nor am I the only one who had something I didn't like. Yet you only attacked me. This is not even complaining-it's feedback.

@kristmark - when you say Day 3, do you mean for Tom to win, the game has to last until at least day 3 with no one winning (and Jerry still alive)? That would definitely make it harder for him to get his wincon (I would not have done it in this game - well, maybe depending on where the RID kills went on N3,at best a 1/3 chance since there were two of them).

I think you definitely acheived your goal of having Tom stir the pot and induce Looney Tunes style craziness! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

@Sak-C, I never said it wouldn't have been discrete. ;)

And the fact that there were two RID night kills - and they knew who each other were(!) would have actually worked against me. Since if they were smart they would have figured out who Tom was on N3. Jerry was all but confirmed, they knew each other - leaves three people left (mboon, HG, and myself). RID kill two of them - 2 out of 3 chance that I die, 1 out of 3 I am alive but they know who I am.

Now, if MM had come on and worked some magic resulting in either HG or mboon gettnig lynched in his place then everything would have changed and I would have had an opportunityto work for a solo.

Overall, I tend to agree that Tom was a touch overpowered the way the game worked out (or had too easy of a wincon - either make him less powerful or make it harder for him to win). The only thing I don't know is how effective the role would have been if things had happened differently on N1/D1. If the baddies had a successful NK and lynched a goodie during the day it may have been way more challenging.

@Smoth: If I were you, I would have claimed the day spy. You could even say that you spied A on day 1 and know that he is A's role, B on day 2 and he is B's role. Nobody would have doubted it. =P

Nice ,so from now on i'll keep an eye on u MoMa

btw do u think krist is going to wirte about the game on MM ?

I actually spied smoth on the first Night, and it said he was the spy. He would have been dead the following Night, but tole revealed her redirect, so I knew Plasmid was the real spy. And it wouldn't have been too wise to claim to be the spy while the real one was still alive.