BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Coup of Rhotus Mafia Signups

Molly Mae

The Coup of Rhotus Mafia

Sub-phases and Order of Actions:

All players will have a secret ability (most passive). Indies have two secret abilities (more than likely, one will be passive, but not necessarily).

Order of precedence will be the order of sub-phases during each night. Sub-phases include Movement, Recruiting, Acting (per the order of actions), BTSC Addition, etc. By doing this, it puts Movement and Recruiting outside the OOA (unblockable), but includes them for Freeze sequences.

Night Sub-Phases:

1. Movement

2. Recruiting

3. Other

4. Acting (OOA is sub-points 4a->4g)

5. BTSC Addition

This doesn't mean you'll have to be on during different times of the "Night", it's just the order in which things happen in order to clarify what Freeze sequences stop, what blocks stop, what areas are within your range, etc.

Order of actions:

Kill >> Redirect >> Block >> RID Kill >> Spy-Types/Info Gathering

Day Phase.

Recruiting:

Recruiting is done in the style of Amber: Each person has a % chance of success listed in their RD. For every success, the % is reduced by 25. For failure, the person attempting to recruit is killed. Targets for recruit are by player name, not by role. The primary difference from Amber is that there is only one dedicated percent per person (that is, nobody has composite blood [two chances to recruit at 100%]).

If two or more players of different factions try to recruit the same Indy on the same night, both/all will fail.

BTSC:

Each team leader starts in the BTSC thread (for convenience). In order to get others into BTSC, the leader must correctly RID guess a member of his faction. If the leader dies with nobody else in his BTSC, he appoints a successor. The successor gets access to the BTSC and retains the RID guess power of the leader. For every successor (including the first), one RID guess is lost forever.

N1-3, all leaders have 3 RID guesses.

N4-5, all leaders have 2 RID guesses.

N6-99, all leaders have 1 RID guess.

N100+, no more RID guessing (this is kind of a joke).

Voting:

It will be done by sequence. Below is a list of sequences.

Courier--Traditional one-way message with one reply.

Freeze--Traditional block for the following night.

Kill--Traditional death with sub-categories. If no subcategory is specified, the target dies with no information revealed.

--Subcategory F--target dies and faction is revealed publicly.

--Subcategory R--target dies and role is revealed publicly.

example: 1. Kill(RF) Yuli by Hirkala

Spy--with subcategories

--Subcategory F--Target faction is revealed to initiator

--Subcategory R--Target role is revealed to initiator

--Subcategory RF--Target faction and role are revealed to public

VETO--Revokes a previously passed sequence and may be started on any active sequence at any time.

Each player may only start up to 3 sequences per day (this includes VETO sequences!). Additionally, only one Kill sequence (of any subcategory) may be started by a given player each day and any player may only be the target of one kill sequence per day. A player may only initiate one spy sequence (of any subcategory) and may only be the target of one spy sequence per day.

Voting will last for 24 hours and be by secret ballot. Players must begin sequences in the main thread, but must PM votes to the host. They may change their votes as they please, but each individual player is responsible for keeping track of where his votes are!. At the end of the day, the full list of sequences and votes will be published. (If a courier reaches absolute majority before the end of the day, I might PM the initiator and let them begin their courier. This depends on my ability to access MM.)

Sequences must be passed by absolute majority before the day ends. Any sequences not passed by absolute majority will pass if a simple majority is made and at least 3 players are voting in that sequence. This holds for all sequences, so don't be afraid to vote CON.

Terms:

-ODTG: "Once During The Game"--An ability which can only be used exactly once.

-Range: The greatest number of hex spaces between a player and his target for an action to be successful. Note: Range=0 means they must share a space.

-LOS: Line-of-sight. For an action that requires LOS to be successful, the target must be within range and his position must be (relative to acting player) 1) Sharing a hex OR 2) On an adjacent hex, OR 3) On a hex which is directly across an adjacent hex, OR ..., which creates a straight line from the actor.

Movement: The number of hex spaces a player can move on a given night.

Beast: Any non-humanoid (as indicated by the RD). I don't know if this will really come into play or needs to be defined.

The Board:

The board will be a triangle (or perhaps a hexagon) made up of hex spaces. In each corner will be a city/castle which will represent the present capitol of a Warlord (faction leader). In the style of Titanomachy, any player on a city may only affect other players on the same city (and may only be affected by other players on the same city). I'm looking into specific bonuses for cities.

Terrain will come in various types and have different effects. Here's a quick list:

City - A player in a city can only act on (and be acted upon by) other players in the same city.

Road - Grants +1 to movement if it is the only terrain used by a moving human (all non-beasts).

Plain - No bonus or penalty.

Forest - Counts as 2 spaces for moving. If a player only has 1 movement remaining, they stop on the Forest space.

Water - All players who enter a water space must stop moving.

Mountain - Any player who enters a Mountain space must stop moving, but they gain a +1 to all ranges.

Hill - Counts as 2 spaces for moving. If a player only has 1 movement remaining, they stop on the Hill space.

post-16850-060554200 1310261770.png

(Click to enlarge)

Any questions about the board, let me know.

Story (general):

Chaos!

King Willem of Rhotus is dead by assassination. General Devist has staged a coup d'etat to overthrow the entire royal house. What was once the King's Army is now devoted to the power-hungry General who promises that his empire will rule the world.

Tarvigar, the ancient wizard residing to the north of Rhotus, uses the cover of the chaos to finally make his move in capturing the land for himself. He has summoned terrible beasts to aide him in his effort.

King Colliete of nearby Chothrom, an old friend of King Willem, will not see the Rhotus fall into the wrong hands. He has taken in many refugees, including the son of King Willem, who narrowly escaped the wrath of Devist. It is Colliete's mission to conquer Rhotus and return the land to the rightful prince.

Roles:

Chothrom--WINCON: Be in majority

Colliete (Wizard + Warlord)--The wise king of Chothrom and old friend of the late King Willem. He fights to restore order to the country and return Borden to the throne. Quiet and calculating, he is said to be one of the wisest men in the world and the only king known to publicly use magic. Although a devout follower of the God, it is rumoured that his blood is half-Fae. In the style of the Fae, if he learns the true name of his enemy, he may slay them. RID Kill (range 3 requiring LOS). Recruit: 75%, Movement: 3

Borden (Warrior)--Son of the late King Willem and heir to the throne of Rhotus. Prone to anger, he fights to avenge his dead family regardless of the cost to himself. At the beginning of the game, he must choose an ability that he thinks would best aide him in recovering the throne: Kill a player (range 0), spy a role (range 0), or block a player (range 2 requiring LOS). Recruit: 50%, Movement: 2

Danilta (Cleric)--High Priestess of the Holy Church of Chothrom and the religious adviser to King Colliete. It is by the Will of the God that Danilta goes to war to protect her King and restore order to Rhotus.

Each night she may ask for a Divine Sign that reveals to her the faction of one target (range 2). Recruit: 75%, Movement: 2

Everly (Warrior)--Commander of the Army of Chothrom and devoted follower of Colliete. His undying faith and dedication have led him to many victories on the battlefield.

He may deploy his Army to block one player (range 2). Recruit: 100%, Movement: 3

Vahact Empire--WINCON: Be in majority

Devist (Warrior + Warlord)--Former General under King Willem, he has staged a coup and overthrown the King. His strong will and lust for power might determine the outcome of this war.

He may block one player per night (range 2). Recruit: 100%, Movement: 2

Cobran (Warrior)--Younger brother of Devist, he is always in the shadow of his brother's glory. It is his goal to prove to himself, to his brother, and to the world that he is an equal military commander.

His goal has made him into a heartless killer, allowing him to RID Kill one person per night (range 3 with LOS). Recruit: 75%, Movement: 3

Vish (Wizard)--Tactician and Court Mage of King Willem, he convinced Devist to begin the uprising. He is well aware of the delicacy of these first few months after the rebellion.

He knows all manner of spells which allow him to see the faction of one player per night (range 2). Recruit: 75%, Movement: 2

Brionisis (Cleric)--Scholar and philosopher who started the Brionisis Movement, which taught that all things that have happened are to the Will of the God and that the God really doesn't care. He is slowly trying to move the world away from the God to Nihilism and has decided that an alliance with the Vahact Empire is the best way to achieve his goals.

At the beginning of the game, he must choose his preferred method of reaching his goals: by force--Kill a player (range 0),--by wisdom--spy a role (range 0),--or by subtlety--block a player (range 2 LOS). Recruit: 50%, Movement: 3

The Wizard's Army--WINCON: Be in Majority

Tarvigar (Wizard + Warlord)--A powerful sorcerer who commands the elements, there is no mystery of magic not known to him. He was exiled to the north by King Willem's father many years ago and seeks his revenge while chaos reigns. His exile was rumoured to be about the disappearance of the the King's eldest daughter, sister to King Willem, aunt to Prince Borden.

At the beginning of the game, he must choose how he will conquer the chaotic lands: Kill a player (range 0), spy a role (range 0), or block a player (range 2 LOS). Recruit: 75%, Movement: 2

Lidless (Warrior + Beast)--A golem made of iron summoned from the Nortwall Mountains. He protects the sorcerer's tower and is devoutly obedient to his master.

Block one player (range 2). Recruit: 100%, Movement: 1

Brieta (Cleric)--The kind daughter of Tarvigar who loves to read and write. She is well-versed in the stories of the Fae, the God, and the movements of Brionisis.

She may sense the motives of another player and learn their faction (range 2). Recruit: 75%, Movement: 3

Gurhek (Warrior + Beast)--The sentient Green Dragon whose forest was destroyed by King Willem's men as they prepared for war. He has long since awaited his chance to destroy all men who worked for the late king and his allies.

His searing acid breath is his deadliest weapon: RID Kill (Range 3 with LOS). Recruit: 75%, Movement: 4

Independents--WINCON: Survive to the end if unrecruited. If recruited, wins or loses with his faction. Any independent can be recruited to any faction. All Indy abilities are SECRET, but can be logically deduced as to their type by the night/day posts.

Roseflora (Wizard)--Fae enchantress who thinks war is a game. She just wants to be a part of that game. Recruit: 100%, Movement: 3

Reginald (Warrior + Beast)--A centaur who commanded the Army of Rhotus before Devist. He retired long ago and led a life of seclusion until the recent turmoil boiled his blood. Recruit: 100%, Movement: 4

Marien (Scout)--An elfin archer who fled home to see the world of men. She's more interested in learning about the world than going to war, but her skills as a hunter aren't overlooked. Recruit: 50%, Movement: 4

The Elementals (Beast)--Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. Their power is matched only by their mystery and they may only be recruited by a Wizard. Any non-wizard that tries to recruit the Elementals makes his roll as normal. If it succeeds, the recruiter lives and his % drops by 25. If he fails, he dies. Any Wizard who tries to recruit the Elementals, however, has a 100% chance to do so, regardless of what their present percentage is. (if the Wizard is at 50% and tries to recruit the Elementals, he will succeed automatically and his recruitability will be reduced to 25%.) Recruit: 50%, Movement: 4

Lyonia (Cleric)--A selfless follower of the God who gave up a life of luxury (rich, dramatic redundancy) to travel from village to village teaching His Will. Recruit: 50%, Movement: 3

Illiem (Bard)--A traveling performer whose music is imbued with mystical power. His songs influence anyone who hear them, but the song is always Illiem's choice. Recruit: 100%, Movement: 3

Anali--A young girl found covered in blood in the capital during the coup. She was the only civilian survivor. Many priests (and superstitious folk) believe her to be Fae-blooded. Recruit: 75%, Movement: 1

EDIT: Not really sure why the image is so huge... can't it display a thumbnail? Failing that, I'll resize and attach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So what is this, a sign-up thread?

5. maurice

Sign-ups will likely start as soon as HPY3 begins, since there are 19 players required.

I might play...

But I don't get the rules. what does recruiting mean? As in for the indies?

Anon nailed it below.

@FB: Any faction can recruit the indies to their own faction. The particular indy, win or lose, according to his/her faction.

If indy remains unrecruited, his wincon becomes to be alive till the end of the game.

Right-on.

All Indy abilities are secret, although some may be divined by things that happen during the night or day.

I'm considering changing the sequence voting, however. Presently, it is by secret ballot and requires my direct input. I think I will keep this method (and I will publish a "best practice" for players to easily keep track of votes).

Considered change: Passing a sequence. As it stands, any sequence that reaches absolute majority (n/2)+1 passes. At the end of the day, any sequence that maintains simple majority (Pro > Con) passes. Instead, I am considering (and would like your input on) a gap. Absolute majority would automatically pass a sequence, as usual. However, to pass a sequence without absolute majority would require P > C + n/3 where P is PRO, C is CON and n is the present number of living players. This makes CON votes a little more important.

I have noted that all sequences require simple majority at the end of the day (min 3 votes) to pass. This is to encourage CON votes. I might eliminate this for kill sequences (to avoid flash sequences).

A tip for voting:

Sequences will be listed in order by number, based on when the sequence is started. Keep an excel spreadsheet. It doesn't have to include the name of the sequence (since excel has the number on the left). You can quickly see which number in excel corresponds with each sequence. In the A column, keep a running list of what you want to vote for the corresponding sequence: PRO, CON, or N/A. If you copy/paste the A column into a PM, I should be able to keep it intact and copy it right into my master voting spreadsheet. This will also allow you to quickly see how you have voted for any sequence, so I'm not bombarded with questions like "What is my vote for sequence 53?" I would gladly change votes for a PM saying "Change my vote on sequence 45 to PRO."

So two biggest questions:

1) Keep secret ballot voting?

2) Change end-of-day passing method from (P > C) to (P > C + n/3)

What I'm saying is that what does the Indies' recruit % mean?

Anyone can recruit (so long as they belong to a faction). However...

Recruiting is done in the style of Amber: Each person has a % chance of success listed in their RD. For every success, the % is reduced by 25. For failure, the person attempting to recruit is killed. Targets for recruit are by player name, not by role. The primary difference from Amber is that there is only one dedicated percent per person (that is, nobody has composite blood [two chances to recruit at 100%]).

If two or more players of different factions try to recruit the same Indy on the same night, both/all will fail.

BTW @ Molly does " both/all will fail." mean they both die?

LOS question: Is (for example) 0.3 LOS with 2.3? How many spaces is that for range if so?

0.3 to 2.3 is not LOS, but it has a natural range of 2.

For LOS, you must perpendicularly exit the hex space from the center of one of the six sides. Any hex you pass through by following any line that meets that requirement would constitute LOS.

From the OP:

It will be done by sequence. Below is a list of sequences.

Courier--Traditional one-way message with one reply.

Freeze--Traditional block for the following night.

Kill--Traditional death with sub-categories. If no subcategory is specified, the target dies with no information revealed.

--Subcategory F--target dies and faction is revealed publicly.

--Subcategory R--target dies and role is revealed publicly.

example: 1. Kill(RF) Yuli by Hirkala

Spy--with subcategories

--Subcategory F--Target faction is revealed to initiator

--Subcategory R--Target role is revealed to initiator

--Subcategory RF--Target faction and role are revealed to public

VETO--Revokes a previously passed sequence and may be started on any active sequence at any time.

Each player may only start up to 3 sequences per day (this includes VETO sequences!). Additionally, only one Kill sequence (of any subcategory) may be started by a given player each day and any player may only be the target of one kill sequence per day. A player may only initiate one spy sequence (of any subcategory) and may only be the target of one spy sequence per day.

Voting will last for 24 hours and be by secret ballot. Players must begin sequences in the main thread, but must PM votes to the host. They may change their votes as they please, but each individual player is responsible for keeping track of where his votes are!. At the end of the day, the full list of sequences and votes will be published. (If a courier reaches absolute majority before the end of the day, I might PM the initiator and let them begin their courier. This depends on my ability to access MM.)

Sequences must be passed by absolute majority before the day ends. Any sequences not passed by absolute majority will pass if a simple majority is made and at least 3 players are voting in that sequence. This holds for all sequences, so don't be afraid to vote CON.

Basically, during the day, instead of lynching someone, any player may start sequences. If a sequence is passed, whatever the sequence was about happens (kill Hirk sequence would kill Hirk / Spy Maurice would give you Maurice's faction)

There's an in-depth guide to sequence voting on the wiki. I suggest reading that and at least getting a basic understanding of how sequences work. After that, read the voting info in the spoiler above (which contains my slight modifications).

If you want to look over previous games that have used sequence voting, check Host Wars, Amber, and Warcraft III on MM.

Edited by Molly Mae

Let me just paraphrase my understanding of certain points. If this is correct then perhaps I understand the game a bit.

1. The game will start with NO BTSC. Only faction leaders can begin adding their faction mates to BTSC through RID recruit. However, this requires the faction mate to be in LOS (while starting position for them is decided by Faction leader only). Leader may also chose to recruit Indies into the faction. Any failed RID recruit means death for the leader. Also, if a leader has 3 RID guesses, and 50% chances then he will surely die post submitting the 3 RID guesses (recruitment power reduced to 0% if first 2 RID guesses are correct). However, if he dies on first attempt, he will appoint a successor. But, if he doesn't know his faction mates then how will he appoint the successor?

2. A person can move in any of 6 directions he chooses, based on his movement ability. Though I do not understand the reason for movement except for getting people in your LOS range. But, if the positions are not known, then how would anyone decide to move?

3. I do not understand the purpose of gap between Recruiting and BTSC addition. :(

4. Could you please explain what the numbers on the board stand for?

@Klue - you are confusing RID guess with recruiting. RID guess works separately, doesn't affect the recruit percentage and doesn't require LOS. Only abilities that need LOS are those specified in the RDs.

I have the same qu as Klue about movements. Eg- a spy needs to be on the same hex as their target. (The ones who have it as a role ability, not those starting spy sequences.) How is the spy supposed to work out what spot to move to? They would have to move and then take a lucky guess as to who might or might not be on their spot? Can they just move and then spy on whoever is on their spot? Do we get any feedback as to where people are during the game, or their starting hexes? It just seems like many actions are doomed to fail.

Also, when a successful recruit is done. Is 25% taken from both the recruitER and the recruitEE? And does that mean an Indy can be recruited more than once i.e betray?

More QUs to come later...