BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Too many puzzlers here on this site offer puzzles and riddles that could have more than one answer. The fact that this occurs in not the problem, but rather that it is the notion of the poster that his/her solution is the only/correct solution. In my opinion, if any valid solution is presented, even if it is not the solution intended by the presenter, the presenter should note the puzzle as solved and not wait for one to guess or deduce by elimination the intended answer. S/he should also present (in a spoiler, of course) the intended answer with an argument to the validity of his/her own answer. This suggestion would not apply to puzzles and riddles offered in a game forum where the puzzle/riddle is a game in a format similar to "I Spy", but to the standard puzzle forums.

I do understand there will be new puzzlers visiting the site who are unfamiliar to the different forums and the guidelines here suggested, thus I do not expect this suggestion here to be followed. I just hope that it is.

Also, I would suggest that there be some sort of time limit given on the poster in posting the solution.

Edited by Dej Mar

2 answers to this question

I believe that there's quite a lot to be gained on the riddler's part if he/she reads over the answers and actually pours a bit of thought into considering whether or not they could actually fit all the clues. There are various opinions on what makes a riddle "good" (it's certainly not just the number of guesses required to get it right) and I personally think one important measure is its Eureka factor -- when it's not obvious at the outset but becomes plain as day once you see the answer that that just has to be it.

Writing riddles that have that is Hard.

But, if any riddler cares to hone their skills, one good way to do it is to read over the answers offered in the forum. It gives you a chance to see what sort of riddles and clues are "mushy" with all sorts of possible answers that could sort of work without being ruled out by any of the clues provided, as opposed to clues that really narrow things down. And it gives you a feel for how many such clues you'll need before the riddle is ready to fly.

So, yes, the riddlers would benefit from considering the answers given and whether they might be acceptable alternate answers; not just saying "nope, not it, keep guessing" without a second thought. And while they're at it, they can credit people who come up with good answers that they hadn't considered when writing the riddle. But in my opinion, they don't necessarily need to end the riddle if they see a good alternate answer, especially if they think that the one that they originally had in mind is overall a better fit. (Believe me, when a riddle flounders for a bit and seems in hindsight to have been written too vaguely, there's actually a temptation to just say that the next answer is right and move on.)

And if any riddlers don't abide by that rule, then you should demand a full refund! :P