Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 09:54 AM

Well, like someone else said, the site admins do a great job at keeping this place maintained, also to ensure new things are consistently posted. The idea of a "newbie" section is good because, even after reading these threads, I'm not sure how well the search function works. No "newbie section" - I agree with Scraff. Does it search title only or does it search by riddle contents? Of course, content is searched as well. Further, what about the people that change variables within the riddles that will make it different? Like "if John is 30...", what if I come across the same riddle that says "if Mike is 20", but the riddle itself is the same? That's why I am here - I have read/skimmed all posts. The admins will see it immediately, and even if an effort was put forth to find it, I will not have found it. Locking is not offending, it's just directing discussion to original post where there are some opinions already posted and you don't have to start from scratch. I just don't think we're all on the same page - what's good about this type activity is anyone can jump in and be an "important contributor" - I've been doing these puzzles for years, and there are lots of others out there who have been doing them far longer than myself who will discover this page and join and have some really creative things to provide. Is it realistic to ask them as a new member to go back to each of the 870 posts? My FAVORITE solution would be to shift old threads (i.e. not commented on for 8 - 12 months) to an archive, then if a similar thread (to an archived one) is posted, then it's there for the new members to read and comment on and for those who have already seen it to leave it alone. If the similar thread has not made it to the archive, then lock it and provide the link. At the same time, I don't think the admins want to devote a lot of time to screwing with this stuff, so something utilitarian with as little effort as possible :) Right, me and Martini probably wouldn't be able to manage that on our own.

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#22 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:16 AM

Why not cove this in an initial email pointing out how the site was established/works/runs in bullet points

Investigating the site and reading topics and posts gives a good understanding too.
Which has enabled me to find a lot of intersing puzzles, riddles, etc

When does a new topic become old?
may be that is a kind of paradox phase ?
It will be trippled, quaddippled and then the site really will be a mess.

#23 ALFRED

ALFRED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 10:35 PM

I think if rookie1ja and Martini are smart enough to create and answer some of the puzzles I've seen on this site, they're smart enough to monitor and maintain the posts so that Newbies still have an opportunity to be apart of the community and verterans don't have to be overloaded with unnecessary posts. From what I've seen they've done a damn good job of it too. I'll trust them to keep running it how they want to run it. Keep up the good work gentlmen.

#24 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:56 PM

The Unreality Speaks!

lol jk

wow this topic had like 3 pages already by the time I found it ;D

1) everyone says "admins" but there's only one admin, that would be rookie1ja

now that that pet peeve is over with:

2) I voted "No", cuz what Martini said originally had nothing to do with making new topics, it was about not resurrecting old topics. But still, looking at the OP was suggesting, new repeat puzzles are not a good idea.... like Scraff said, they would build up. Besides, everyone's heard those before. There's probably ten of the same locked ones here. Be original! A search isn't too much to ask, especially if you found the riddle somewhere, but if you made it yourself you shouldn't need to search (hopefully)

#25 ALFRED

ALFRED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 06:48 PM

I discovered this site when I started using iGoogle as my homepage at work and chose to have Puzzles and Riddles as one of my gadgets. For the first week or two I only attempted or read puzzles that appeared on my homepage. But today is Friday and I have a surprisingly small amount of work to do today so I decided to go directly to the brainden and start opening new posts.

I have already posted in this particular forum stating my opinion that rookie1ja and Martini have done a fantastic job at maintaining this site and should be trusted to continue to do so. After using the site as I have today I can only say that my opinion has been strengthened. If the admins (or admin, as unreality has pointed out) feel the need to close threads, by all means, let them.

I know the original post was more about new threads starting for puzzles that have already been discussed at length but that issued has already been solved by rookie1ja or Martini providing a link to the original thread when they close the new one. As for puzzles that have been replied to and solved 30 times I also agree with Martini that these need to be left alone unless absolutely necessary. In fact, if they want to close those threads as well I think they should and if someone stumbles across a closed thread and needs to add something new, then they can start a new post about the original puzzle.

I'm not usually so long-winded but I feel strongly about the cleanliness and organization of this site and I hope that people will see this is a result of the hard work of the admins, or admin, in monitoring and maintaining posts.

#26 ALFRED

ALFRED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

rookie1ja - Do you think you could show the original date of post for puzzles? That way when looking through the list of most recently updated, if a puzzle moves to the top and it has 5,000 views and 30 replies and it was originally posted in april of 2007 you can be reasonably assured the new post does not contribute anything new to the puzzle. But if a puzzle has 1,000 views and 20 replies and was started just 3 days ago, there's a chance it's a good puzzle with a heated debated. just a thought. I'm sure in a few months I'll have seen so many puzzles I'll know which ones are old but for people who are new (which is going to happen a lot as more people discover you on igoogle) it might help.

#27 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:54 PM

rookie1ja - Do you think you could show the original date of post for puzzles? That way when looking through the list of most recently updated, if a puzzle moves to the top and it has 5,000 views and 30 replies and it was originally posted in april of 2007 you can be reasonably assured the new post does not contribute anything new to the puzzle. But if a puzzle has 1,000 views and 20 replies and was started just 3 days ago, there's a chance it's a good puzzle with a heated debated. just a thought. I'm sure in a few months I'll have seen so many puzzles I'll know which ones are old but for people who are new (which is going to happen a lot as more people discover you on igoogle) it might help.

already suggested here ... discussion for this point to continue there

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#28 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:50 PM

conclusion: