Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#11 grey cells

grey cells

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2807 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

I do not agree entirely with largeneal.But it is also true that it is not possible for the newcomers to know about the thread being locked for repeated topics.So I have a suggestion.
SUGGESTION:If it is possible , the admin can identify the newcomers and allow the thread to run.Only for the first time.From the next time the same rule will apply for them.

#12 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

I don't want to comment on something that already has 40 comments, the last one being over a year ago!

Why not? If you've got an alternate answer that hasn't been though of or a good reason why the given answer is wrong (it happens) then why not post in it? You'd rather the same riddles are re-posted so you can now comment on it because it only has, say, five replies?

You can use the search tool. You just use key words separated by '+' sign. :)

Ah - so myself and everyone else who joins the site should know that, also should have to make the effort to see if it's been posted?? Seems like overkill for something that is supposed to be FUN.

No, you shouldn't know that. Perhaps I'll revise the current sticky to include guidelines for posting that include performing a search before posting. A message board on riddles can be organized AND fun. The rationale behind many riddles have been explained very well in the existing threads. There would be no good reason to have another thread on The Monty Hall problem just so the rationale behind the solution can be discussed all over again. I see nothing "fun" about that. It also wouldn't be fun if newer riddles that are being posted by our members are being pushed to page 2 so posters can repeat the same answer to a riddle in a thread that's been dead for months or re-post an old one. The lesser of two evils must be chosen and I think keeping this forum fresh is the best choice. We'll see what the majority vote reveals.

#13 Scraff

Scraff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:03 PM

You know it is fun and all to get into the debate over the questions but to what point? I have seen more than a few threads that have been untouched for a year or so. After a while it has the effect of beating a dead horse. Then there are of course the well-known riddles and jokes that have been submitted a thousand times. After a while, something does need to be done to prevent that.

Agreed. This site is still fairly new. In the future if someone wants to do a search on a riddle and see what the consensus is on the answer, how lame would it be to see that there are twelve threads on the same riddle to read through? At what point are the admins supposed to put a stop at repeats? Wouldn't it be better to have it so the best rationales for the correct answer can be in one thread and if a new member doesn't have anything new or noteworthy to post, he can just enjoy the thread by reading it? There are always all of the newer threads on the first couple pages on this forum he can participate in, and as has been mentioned, the fact that posting in old threads and re-posting old riddles is discouraged is the reason the first page of the forum is fresh to begin with.

#14 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 08:44 PM

Ah - so myself and everyone else who joins the site should know that, also should have to make the effort to see if it's been posted?? Seems like overkill for something that is supposed to be FUN.

why not have fun looking at other peoples TOPICS not all the posts, besides - It is not new if it's been done and the threads from the topic can reveal unfolding information - not quite a Stephen King novel, but better than fragmentation.

SEARCHING IS PAINFUL WHEN IT'S A MATHAMATIC PROBLEM USING APES IN STEAD OF COWS - BUT ADMIN WILL SPOT IT - LEAVE THEM TO SORT IT AND ENJOY THE SITE - HAVE FUN!

#15 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 11:58 PM

I just joined this forum. Locking New Topics that have already been posted is a turn-off to newbies. Do you expect me to read through every past topic? Maybe you should make a new section for people that have been members for under a month or something.

#16 Scraff

Scraff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 01:52 AM

I just joined this forum. Locking New Topics that have already been posted is a turn-off to newbies.

And opening a thread and reading "I have two coins totaling 55ยข, one of them is not a nickel" for the twelfth time is a turn-off to those who have been here a while- especially when it bumps actual new riddles down the list.

Do you expect me to read through every past topic?

Did you bother to read the responses in this thread? This has been asked and answered already.

#17 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:00 AM

Scraff, I read the responses. It's a rhetorical question. I mean to say that 'I won't go through every past riddle to make sure mine are 100% original.'
I agree with what you say about senior members reading the same thing over and over, which is why i proposed a newbie section.

#18 Scraff

Scraff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 02:33 AM

Scraff, I read the responses. It's a rhetorical question. I mean to say that 'I won't go through every past riddle to make sure mine are 100% original.'
I agree with what you say about senior members reading the same thing over and over, which is why i proposed a newbie section.

No one is expecting anyone, newbie or not, to make sure of anything. All that was asked is that one do a quick search before posting to see if the riddle has been posted before. I don't see what benefit there would be newbie section. Newbies are just as capable of performing a simple search as more senior members are. Having a newbie forum would just encourage repeating all previously discussed riddles again and repeating the same discussions as to why correct answers are correct and why incorrect ones are thought to be. And then what to do when the same riddles keep getting posted there? Have a pre-newbie forum? I think it would be best to have newbies be integrated with the posting community and truly have one community. Maybe a better recommendation would be for newbies to get there feet wet by reading old threads and then participating in current ones before starting their own. That's the way it's done in the other boards I belong to. I think too many newbs what to jump in head first and start threads right away. By doing this they may get a thread politely locked and learn the hard way. Is that such a bad thing?

#19 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 03:12 AM

After thinking about it some more, I agree that during my first couple weeks here, I found the restriction on posting to be an irritation, but in time I came to the conclusion that it was a good thing. However, what can be done to avoid this initial reaction? Two ideas ...

1. What if one or more posts could be tagged as "solution posts," either by the OP or an admin? Then, even if you have 20 pages of discussion, you could use a filter to only display accepted solutions. This would make the redirect to an old thread less overwhelming.

2. Rather than locking a duplicate thread, tag it as such (and add a link to the original), but provide a user-level setting to ignore these duplicate threads. The default is to show all threads in the New Posts page, but more advanced members who don't want to see them can choose not to display them.

I don't know how much control the site admin has over the forum programming, though. Both of these approaches would require some pretty serious digging into the guts of the website, I suspect.

#20 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 04:18 AM

Well, like someone else said, the site admins do a great job at keeping this place maintained, also to ensure new things are consistently posted. The idea of a "newbie" section is good because, even after reading these threads, I'm not sure how well the search function works. Does it search title only or does it search by riddle contents? Further, what about the people that change variables within the riddles that will make it different? Like "if John is 30...", what if I come across the same riddle that says "if Mike is 20", but the riddle itself is the same? The admins will see it immediately, and even if an effort was put forth to find it, I will not have found it. I just don't think we're all on the same page - what's good about this type activity is anyone can jump in and be an "important contributor" - I've been doing these puzzles for years, and there are lots of others out there who have been doing them far longer than myself who will discover this page and join and have some really creative things to provide. Is it realistic to ask them as a new member to go back to each of the 870 posts? My FAVORITE solution would be to shift old threads (i.e. not commented on for 8 - 12 months) to an archive, then if a similar thread (to an archived one) is posted, then it's there for the new members to read and comment on and for those who have already seen it to leave it alone. If the similar thread has not made it to the archive, then lock it and provide the link. At the same time, I don't think the admins want to devote a lot of time to screwing with this stuff, so something utilitarian with as little effort as possible :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users