Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:13 PM

I've been on this site for a couple weeks now, and love it. It's great seeing a group of creative thinkers getting together to challenge each other and provide different perspectives on things. I read a thread from moderator "Martini" and I have to offer a different perspective from what he said. I quote him below:

"But please don't post to a thread that has been over for months just to add the same solution that has already been determined. "

Personally, I'm not going to go back into the 850 posts and read all of them! So I might end up posting a thread that was posted 2 years ago, which means it becomes locked. Sure, the link is provided to the old one, but for the sake of new members, doesn't it facilitate more participation by allowing it to remain open for posts? I don't want to comment on something that already has 40 comments, the last one being over a year ago! I say loosen up on that policy, and I hope you allow this thread to remain to see what everyone else has to say. If everyone else thinks otherwise, then I'll ride with the majority. I'm willing to bet more people will share my perspective on this. Thanks, though, for keeping this a great site that provides daily enjoyment to thousands :)

#2 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:16 PM

I might be misunderstanding both yours and martini's arguments, but from my perspective this is what Martini meant:

If you find an old thread that is a puzzle, and you read it, do not add a new post to the thread just to post an answer that has already been decided on. If you see something new that has not been pointed out, then feel free to add a new post, But if there have been 15 posts stating the answer, and it's been a year since anyone last posted, don't add a new post to the thread just to add an answer that has already been stated multiple times...

At least that's how I interpreted it.

#3 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:28 PM

I interpret differently given I have already had two locked because I didn't know they had already been posted. They were posted over a year ago, so I did not dig into the archives to find it. My argument is if someone wants to post a new topic, then people like site administrators will recognize it's an old thread, but people like me and what seems to be a LOT of other new members will not have seen it. I'm not going to post something that I know has been posted just for grins, but I'm not going to read all 850 past posts just to see if I'm posting something that hasn't already been posted.

#4 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:30 PM

I interpret differently given I have already had two locked because I didn't know they had already been posted. They were posted over a year ago, so I did not dig into the archives to find it. My argument is if someone wants to post a new topic, then people like site administrators will recognize it's an old thread, but people like me and what seems to be a LOT of other new members will not have seen it. I'm not going to post something that I know has been posted just for grins, but I'm not going to read all 850 past posts just to see if I'm posting something that hasn't already been posted.

You can use the search tool. You just use key words separated by '+' sign. :)

#5 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:34 PM

Ah - so myself and everyone else who joins the site should know that, also should have to make the effort to see if it's been posted?? Seems like overkill for something that is supposed to be FUN.

#6 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:49 PM

I have pinned this topic and added a poll ... let's see what others think

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#7 neida

neida

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

I have pinned this topic and added a poll ... let's see what others think

I'm new to the site too and think it's great. I've voted "yes" as I think it's interesting to see what people are looking at now, but I also think it would be good if someone recognises a puzzle to post a link to where the puzzle was previously discussed.

#8 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:06 AM

I prefer to see the posts of the original - new/copies really are a rehash, if people don't want to read through old posts just add there tuppence/2 cents worth from the OP. It's not always necessary to see what others think/thought or answered - be origianl if you want.

Old subject can be new to those that have just arrived at brainden don't let it become braindenT though

#9 qofnight

qofnight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 01:56 AM

You know it is fun and all to get into the debate over the questions but to what point? I have seen more than a few threads that have been untouched for a year or so. After a while it has the effect of beating a dead horse. Then there are of course the well-known riddles and jokes that have been submitted a thousand times. After a while, something does need to be done to prevent that.

#10 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:32 AM

"But please don't post to a thread that has been over for months just to add the same solution that has already been determined. "

Personally, I'm not going to go back into the 850 posts and read all of them!

I think you're misunderstanding Martini's request. He's not talking about making new posts. He's talking about adding replies to very old posts that already have been inactive for a while and already have posted solutions. I think that request is quite reasonable, particularly since many members monitor activity using the View New Posts link. If a thread has so many replies that you don't want to read them all, then you're probably not going to be contributing positively by posting the solution, since it has probably already been posted.

As for making new posts, it doesn't seem like a burdensome request to ask you to do a brief search using the inclusive "+" to see if your puzzle was previously posted. However, if you're a new member, of course you wouldn't know to do that, so nobody is upset when it happens, but it makes perfect sense for the admins (who can more easily identify repeats) to redirect new comments to the old thread by locking the new one and posting a link. This doesn't stop you from participating, and it can actually add to the fun, since this will enable you to read the discussions involving the puzzle that have already taken place. And, if there's more to add (other than just repeating the solution), you can certainly do so.

It takes a bit of getting used to, but I think it's a pretty good system. So even if they seem a bit militant, don't go hating on the admins, cause they make this place a whole lot better than it would be otherwise. :)

Edited by Duh Puck, 19 March 2008 - 02:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users