Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Twinhelix

Twinhelix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:35 PM

Orginal text from this forum reads:

"Ok, so Teanchi and Beanchi are a married couple (dont ask me whose he and whose she)!

They have two kids, one of them is a girl, what is the probability that the other kid is also a girl.

Assume safely that the probability of each gender is 1/2.

Of course its not 1/2 else would make it a lousy puzzle..."

and then given and accepted answer in the puzzle is this:

Spoiler for Original Solution

Now my question is, is this solution correct?

So this is what I think, please correct me if I'm wrong because this one really puzzled me, even though it seems so simple.

Spoiler for What I think

Is my logic correct? Please elaborate. :)

#2 shakingdavid

shakingdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:07 PM

Spoiler for explanation

#3 sacohen0326

sacohen0326

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

Spoiler for I think the problem with your solution is

Spoiler for I guess my question, then, is

#4 Plumbstar Tom

Plumbstar Tom

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:02 PM

Argue all you want but the information given to you about the first child helps in no way. The child is either a boy or a girl so it is 50% 1/2 however you put it.

Edited by Plumbstar Tom, 14 June 2011 - 02:02 PM.

#5 KlueMaster

KlueMaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1005 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:13 PM

Well, I always see it this way:
Spoiler for my way

Edited by KlueMaster, 14 June 2011 - 02:15 PM.

#6 Gihan

Gihan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:07 PM

Well, I always see it this way:

Spoiler for my way

Spoiler for Good idea, but your maths is slightly wrong

#7 sacohen0326

sacohen0326

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:14 PM

Argue all you want but the information given to you about the first child helps in no way. The child is either a boy or a girl so it is 50% 1/2 however you put it.

But Plumbstar, the question is NOT "What is the probability that one of the children is a girl?" It is also not asking, "A mother gives birth to one child, and it is a girl. What is the probability that the second child will be a girl?" The question is "What is the probability that one child is a girl GIVEN THAT the other child is a girl?"

The trick here is to see that both children have already been born. They're both sitting in a room somewhere. The four possible combinations are:

Child 1 boy, Child 2 boy
Child 1 boy, Child 2 girl
Child 1 girl, Child 2 boy
Child 1 girl, Child 2 girl

We KNOW that one of them is a girl, so that immediately eliminates the first scenario. Of the remaining three, only one of them provides ANOTHER girl. That's where the 1/3 probability comes in.

#8 shakingdavid

shakingdavid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:39 PM

Stop arguing, the problem is AMBIGUITY. All of you are right, you are just answering different questions. Let's turn this into two different non-ambiguous questions instead:

Spoiler for clearing it up

#9 Twinhelix

Twinhelix

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 03:42 PM

But Plumbstar, the question is NOT "What is the probability that one of the children is a girl?" It is also not asking, "A mother gives birth to one child, and it is a girl. What is the probability that the second child will be a girl?" The question is "What is the probability that one child is a girl GIVEN THAT the other child is a girl?"

The trick here is to see that both children have already been born. They're both sitting in a room somewhere. The four possible combinations are:

Child 1 boy, Child 2 boy
Child 1 boy, Child 2 girl
Child 1 girl, Child 2 boy
Child 1 girl, Child 2 girl

We KNOW that one of them is a girl, so that immediately eliminates the first scenario. Of the remaining three, only one of them provides ANOTHER girl. That's where the 1/3 probability comes in.

Okay, see, the trouble I'm having is that when you say there's a girl, the girl could either be Child 1 or Child 2 right? So surely the given girl could be Child 1 of the girl girl scenario OR Child 2 of the girl girl scenario. Help explain?

#10 phillip1882

phillip1882

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:12 PM

this has been argued to death aleady. the answer is: it depends on the question being asked.
everyone is correct so far based on the reasoning they used.

shakingdavid has the right idea.

Spoiler for coin toss analogy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users