Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 05:56 AM

You just got hired as the new bartender at The Unfriendly Bar! Your manager lets you know that you're only responsible for customers sitting at the bar in the stools. There are 25 stools in a row at the bar, all fixed to the ground (and no more can be added). However, all of the customers that come in hate each other. When someone sits down, they will sit down as far as possible from every other person (excluding you). A person will never sit down next to someone else. If there is a choice of two seats that are equally far/close from others, they will randomly pick one. You want the largest amount of people possible to sit at the bar so you can get the most tips possible.

Where should you tell the first person that comes in to sit, in order to fit the most people at the bar?

Also, what is the largest amount of people that will fit at the bar?

Edited by Noct, 18 March 2008 - 05:56 AM.

#2 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:40 AM

Spoiler for A hint... kind of

Not sure if anyone needs a hint, but if you do, here (in my opinion it's a pretty big hint, (unless you've already figured it out) so if you're doing well then don't look!
Spoiler for A Real hint

Edited by Noct, 18 March 2008 - 06:43 AM.

#3 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:50 AM

Spoiler for Answer

#4 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:57 AM

Also, if I'm at bar that night and there are some overly attractive females, then I will fit a couple of them on my lap :D

#5 PhoenixTears

PhoenixTears

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 08:35 AM

Spoiler for solution?

#6 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

I would work at a more friendly bar. It's no fun there and one should enjoy one's job :P

You just got hired as the new bartender at The Unfriendly Bar! Your manager lets you know that you're only responsible for customers sitting at the bar in the stools.

So your not a bartender, your a maitre di of the bar.

There are 25 stools in a row at the bar, all fixed to the ground (and no more can be added). However, all of the customers that come in hate each other. When someone sits down, they will sit down as far as possible from every other person (excluding you). A person will never sit down next to someone else. If there is a choice of two seats that are equally far/close from others, they will randomly pick one. You want the largest amount of people possible to sit at the bar so you can get the most tips possible.

Where should you tell the first person that comes in to sit, in order to fit the most people at the bar?

Spoiler for max if none are directly next to each other.

Spoiler for If only allowed to show first customer...

Also, what is the largest amount of people that will fit at the bar?

Spoiler for MAX CUSTOMERS

Edited by Lost in space, 18 March 2008 - 10:55 AM.

#7 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 04:48 PM

Spoiler for max if none are directly next to each other.

How do you mean you will have thirteen and 25 spaces? Also, a customer will never sit next to another customer.

Spoiler for If only allowed to show first customer...

Nice try, but not quite. There is a specific answer (and it's mirror image, so 2 choices total) that will allow you to seat more people than any other choice.

#8 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 06:58 PM

Spoiler for rebuke to other answers

#9 imran

imran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:05 PM

My answer
Spoiler for Two possibilities

#10 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

I didn't acknowledge it earlier because once you get it you should know, but largeneal got it right. Nice job! and now so did imran!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users