BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Cryptic Crossword IV

plainglazed

Question

11 answers to this question

Well hello Hidden G and thanks for kicking this one off. Regret to inform you that neither of your answers above are what I have in mind for those clues.

Also, forgot to give this
wiki link
which describes how these work. And, as examples:
and

Dont really know the best way for those interested to go about responding to these. All are welcome to respond to any one, several, or all clues and I can post updates/filled in clues periodically if needed. If you prefer you could also pm me with your entire solution and I'll be sure to cite credit. However, all's good. Hope you enjoy.

F A C T U A L|S

I|M|C|I S L E T

D I O R A M A|Y

G|D|N E G A T E

I S T S|E M I T

T A R A|P A N E

P L A N E T|A|A

L|A C T R E S S

A T T I C|R|E|E

T|E S C H E A T

A question mark (?) between the colons indicates that I did not fully understand the clue in how the answer is derived.

11A : : NEGATE [anagram (fancy) of TEENAGE minus the last letter E (footloose)] and [free from it all]

12A : : ISTS ["lists" minus the first letter (L)] and [a plural suffix meaning persons or members of a profession or skill]

14A : : EMIT [TIME written in the left (reverse) direction] and [to let loose]

16A : : TARA [(homophone) "form" of "Terra"] and [a plantation (in "Gone with the Wind" <pre-dating 1940>)]

18A :?: PANE [the window (glass)] and <?>[homophone of PAIN (despair))]

19A : : PLAN [design] + E.T. [alien(s)]; PLANET [world]

21A : : ACTRESS [the player]; A.C. [(air conditioner) Cooler] + TRESS [hair]

22A : : ATTIC [a story]; TT ['tees' homophone of 'tease' = kid] in reversed (back of) CIA [Agency]

23A : : ESCHEAT [reverted ownership of property =giving up the farm]; ESC (the 'escape' key) + HEAT

_2D : : AMID [halfway through]; AM (the morning) + ID (papers)

_3D : : TIRES [anagram of TIRES] and [cause to be bored; tries (gives pain or trouble to)]

_4D : : USAGE [custom]; GE [internet address for Georgia (Asia)] behind (following) USA [the states]

_5D : : ALMA MATER [her old song]; ALTER [change] + MA MA [Ma's];

_6D :?: STYE [a boil on the eyelid (eyesore)] <STYE is a variant spelling of STY (eyesore); perhaps it is an obsolete spelling of STY [pigpen (filthy mess)] >

_7D : : CONTRACTS [gets puny]

_9D :?: EAT IN [household 'throw back'] <I suspect 'throw back' refers to 'eating', as in throwing food into the back of the mouth>; EA. [each] + TIN [can]

13D : : SALAT [the second pillar of Islam (prescribed prayer)]; anagram of ATLAS

15D : : TEASET [service]; anagram of ESTATE

17D : : ANTIC [fantastic (archaic synonym)]; anagram of FANTASTIC less the letters in FAST

18D : : PERCH [a light (for birds)] and [tasty fish]

19D :?: PLAT [a map]

20D : : ASEA [the central letters in C(aesa)r reversed] and [to the ocean]

Edited by Dej Mar

see previous post

_1A :?: FACTUAL [genuine]

_8A : : ISLET [key = a small island]; IS + LET [to allow it]

10A : : DIORAMA [a scene]; DIORA [medieval bishop of Rochester] + M [1000] + A [one]

Edited by Dej Mar

yeah, that's not my intended answer. like this clue though so not gonna "spoil" it just yet. know you'll get it soon enough. also, had a more contemporary Christian in mind. and the second definition for 19D is not terribly arcane I dont think. seems the ones you had most issue with were the straight homophones with different spellings and without a clue suggesting a phonetic interpretation like "window of (utter) dispair". Have only set a few of these (3 1/2) and really only worked a couple of dozen. would appreciate your feed back re the homophone "rules" as well as in general. also the "back forty" clue is a saying in the US and was derived from the Forty Acres; an RKO Studios graveyard for old movie sets where the answer was kept. throw back is another US saying meaning to eat or drink usually rapidly and esp alcohol.

T A C T U A L|S

I|M|C|I S L E T

D I O R A M A|Y

B|D|N E G A T E

I S T S|E M I T

T A R A|P A N E

P L A N E T|A|A

L|A C T R E S S

A T T I C|R|E|E

T|E S C H E A T

_1A : : TACTUAL [feeling]; T [first letter in THE] + ACTUAL [genuine]

_1D : : TIDBIT [bite]; TI [iT back] + IT [forth] about DB [a sound (unit): abbreviation for decibel]

10A : : DIORAMA [a scene]; DIOR [Christian Dior, fashion designer] + A + M [1000] + A [one]

Edited by Dej Mar

yeah, that's not my intended answer. like this clue though so not gonna "spoil" it just yet. know you'll get it soon enough. also, had a more contemporary Christian in mind. and the second definition for 19D is not terribly arcane I dont think. seems the ones you had most issue with were the straight homophones with different spellings and without a clue suggesting a phonetic interpretation like "window of (utter) dispair". Have only set a few of these (3 1/2) and really only worked a couple of dozen. would appreciate your feed back re the homophone "rules" as well as in general. also the "back forty" clue is a saying in the US and was derived from the Forty Acres; an RKO Studios graveyard for old movie sets where the answer was kept. throw back is another US saying meaning to eat or drink usually rapidly and esp alcohol.

A general rule to hint that a homophone or a homophone may be involved is to use key words (or phrases), such as sound, utter, stated, said, spoken, oral(ly), aural(ly), hear(d), listen, echoed, may be confused with, in the ear, etc. Depending on the word, more cryptic homophonic hints can be applied.

A pun (where the whole clue is half the clue) is usually denoted by a question mark or exclamation point at the end of the clue.

Two of my favorite clues of past puzzles are

Gossip in all directions (4)

Oto (7)

where the number in paretheses is just a reminder of how many letters are in the word answer.

NEWS [gossip] and N(orth)+E(ast)+W(est)+S(outh)

CIRCLET [O being a circle + T, and o being a small circle, hence circlet]

Edited by Dej Mar

Thanks for the feedback Dej Mar. And for the favorite clues. Got the first but not the second. Thought it might be a visual clue and somehow NAUGHTY or DOMINOS but couldn't make the DOM to T connection. Felt I was missing something with the cap vs not but could not get it before being tempted by the spoiler. Did like the answer, real tough but fair; certainly within a puzzle with cross clues. Enjoyed yours from this a.m. Will not leave it hanging but am holding off a little to see if it spurns other interest. Hope you enjoyed.

*solved*

Edited by plainglazed