Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#11 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:20 AM

Master=45
Sage=477
Death=?

Hmm... well, seems like it's either, 4*prime, 9*prime, 25*prime, 49*prime, 121*prime, 169*prime, blah blah blah...
Anyways, since i've only found two, there's no pattern really, but what it was was... for master, it was a 4*11, 9*5 and for sage is was 25*19, 4*119, 9*53...
Maybe for death it will be something with 49*prime, 4*prime, 9*prime, 25*prime?

Well done PhoenixTears, you got the first one. Lyrans become masters at 45.

The sage is not correct because you assumed that 119 is a prime number (22*119=476), but actually it is not a prime number: 7*17=119.

#12 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:51 PM

For people that say -1 is not prime, they are wrong as far as I know.

-1 is only divisible by itself and 1 (-1*1 and 1*-1 are its only two factor pairs)

therefore -1 is prime

but I'm not sure if Primes are allowed to be negative, but even if they are, you can't have a negative age ;D

if primes were allowed to be negative, -1 would be the only prime. Take -2 for example:
(-2, 1)
(1, -2)
(2, -1)
(-1, 2)

a prime number only has 2 factor pairs (itself and 1, 1 and itself), but -2 has four cuz its negative. -3 is the same. etc.

So if negative primes were allowed (not sure if they are), -1 would be the only negative prime. Just thought I'd point that out :P

#13 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 02:15 PM

-1 is only divisible by itself and 1 (-1*1 and 1*-1 are its only two factor pairs)

therefore -1 is prime

but I'm not sure if Primes are allowed to be negative, but even if they are, you can't have a negative age ;D

if primes were allowed to be negative, -1 would be the only prime. Take -2 for example:
(-2, 1)
(1, -2)
(2, -1)
(-1, 2)

a prime number only has 2 factor pairs (itself and 1, 1 and itself), but -2 has four cuz its negative. -3 is the same. etc.

So if negative primes were allowed (not sure if they are), -1 would be the only negative prime. Just thought I'd point that out :P

Well, negative numbers are not involved with primes. Otherwise, the definition of prime numbers need to be modified ...
We know that 2 is prime, because it has two factors -- 1 and 2. But if consider negative numbers, -1*-2 is 2. So the factors of 2 will be {1,2,-1,-2} ...

Some people may argue that 1 is also prime number. But in this puzzle, I didn't consider 1 as a prime.

#14 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:02 PM

therefore -1 is prime

A prime number has to be a natural number, so -1 is out, along with all other negatives.

#15 zoris

zoris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 05:30 PM

therefore -1 is prime

(-2, 1)
(1, -2)
(2, -1)
(-1, 2)

By definition prime numbers can only be positive. The number 1 used to be considered prime until the 19th century, but now it is not considered prime, otherwise the fundamental theorem of arithmetic would not be true. This theorem states that every non-prime number greater than 1 can be factorized in a unique (apart from the order) product of prime numbers. E.g. 15 = 3x5 (or 5x3). If the number 1 would be considered prime, then we could also write:
15 = 3x5x1 = 3x5x1x1 = 3x5x1x1x1.... and so on indefinitely, and the factorization would not be unique.

#16 jword

jword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:05 PM

How did you come up with 8 being a special number?

Yeah I goofed on that when I re-read the prime numbers are different, thats also why I did´nt use it "8" in my guesstimation, hey it was 4 in the morning ! ! and I´m still looking for the cat.

#17 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:08 PM

After trying for a bit to find a pattern in the numbers, I gave up and retreated to my old habits ... programming. Using a pretty simple brute force approach, I quickly solved the first two, but as for how long these Lyran's live? Wow. Apparently a really long time ....

Spoiler for two of three solutions

#18 jword

jword

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 06:19 PM

A prime number has to be a natural number, so -1 is out, along with all other negatives.

A Prime Number is a positive integer divisible by no integers other than unity and itself.

Example: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, etc.

Twin Primes
A pair of prime numbers that differ by 2 (successive odd numbers that are both Prime numbers).

Examples: (3,5), (5,7), (11,13), ...

It is not known whether the set of twin prime numbers ends or not.

Co-primes or Relatively prime numbers
A pair of numbers not having any common factors other than 1 or -1. (Or alternatively their greatest common factor is 1 or -1)

Example: 15 and 28 are co-prime, because the factors of 15 (1,3,5,15), and the factors of 28 (1,2,4,7,14,28) are not in common (except for 1).

Mersenne's Primes
Prime numbers of the form 2n-1 where n must itself be prime.

3, 7, 31, 127 etc. are Mersenne primes.

#19 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:51 AM

... unless there's a bug in my program, over 21,000,000 and counting.

Yep, there was a bug in my program (discovered by my subconscious while sleeping, I think, because I thought of it as soon as I woke up). I correctly identified that I could exit the age-checking loop if (p*p*2) > age, but I failed to populate my list of prime numbers all the way to (limit/2^2), which meant that I would have overlooked special years where q > (p*p*2). Ugh. I fixed it and started it over, but since this requires that the prime number list I work with be much, much larger, it will run significantly slower. I set the age limit at 10,000,000 and restarted it before leaving for work this morning. I'll find out if it worked when I get home.

#20 Noct

Noct

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 18 March 2008 - 02:52 AM

What prime number algorithm are you working with? Or is it a preset list?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users